Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: schrader vs presta valves  (Read 3904 times)

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
schrader vs presta valves
« on: May 18, 2009, 04:51:31 PM »
is there a real difference? whats the advantage?

I just got my new wheelset (xt hubs, dtswiss spokes, velocity rims, $260) and to my suprise they were drilled for presta valves. So I got them, it took me a while to figure out exactly  how they fill with my pump. So I only rode them once so far at Markham park and I already have a flat. Could it be how I'm filling them? the front is fine, and I tightened down both the retaining ring and the end of the valve stem, but it still wasn't holding air. Maybe a bad tube?

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: schrader vs presta valves
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
could be a tube. I have a compessor pump I like to use that is schrader only, so I bought some Presta to schrader adapters for the valves. they are only like $1 a piece. You remove the adapter, unscrew the valve nut and replace the adapter, fill and do the reverse. Most high end wheels use presta since it makes the wheel stronger due to the hole being smaller I think.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 04:59:59 PM »
bad tube - the valve has nothing to do with getting a flat...usually

did you inspect the tube to see where the leak came from?

this is stolen from a site:

"Many valve  types have come along since the invention of the pneumatic tire  but for bicycles mainly Presta  and Schrader  remain in use.  The Presta valve is the more slender of the two and is slightly more cumbersome to use, having a lock nut instead of a spring to ensure closure.  However, these two features have kept the Presta valve in use on many bicycles.   In the past, sports and racing bicycles used Presta valves because they are slender and enabled racers to inflate tires with a simple pump with attached chuck (pump head) and no hose.  Presta valves are easier to pump than Schrader, because they have no valve spring to overcome.  Although a valve depressor for Schrader valves could alleviate this, it would require a check valve, impractical to house in lightweight pump heads.
  The small diameter of the Presta valve requires a smaller hole in the rim, whose size is important for narrow rims where cross sectional strength of is significantly reduced by a stem hole.  In narrow rims, clincher tires also leave insufficient space between tire beads for larger Schrader valves.
  In contrast Schrader valves are more robust, universally used, and have an easily removable core.  Spring closure makes them simpler to use because one needs only to press the inflation chuck onto them at an automobile service station.  For hand pumps, a screwed or lever chuck provides the valve depressor.  The depressor not only makes inflation easier but is necessary to read back pressure in the tire.
  Although Presta valves have been made with removable cores, demand is so small that they are uncommon.  Removable Presta cores can be identified by two wrench flats on the coarse valve cap threads."

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 05:01:26 PM »
i would think a Schrader is more likely to move around due to the lack of the nut holding it and that can cause the valve stem to get damaged. but that is just a total wild * guess.

you can get a rubber grommet to downsize the hole so that a presta can be used. Some Mavic wheels come with them.  There are also nuts for presta tubes that are "shouldered" to fill the void of an oversized hole -- I might have one in my garage somewhere... i'll look and if i find it i'll post a picture.

so there are options to get you back to presta..... but i can't tell you where you can readily pick them up....

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 05:03:13 PM »
No real advantage other than the presta fit a narrow rim better.  You can also get a schrader tube at any hardware store where presta at a bike shop or sports store that carries bike stuff.
Also, don't tighten the nut for the valve too tight against the rim as it will cause undue stress to the collar of the tube that holds the valve.  I actually don't use the nuts anymore as it is faster to fix a flat without them.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 05:38:02 PM »

I just got my new wheelset (xt hubs, dtswiss spokes, velocity rims, $260) and to my suprise they were drilled for presta valves. So I got them, it took me a while to figure out exactly  how they fill with my pump. So I only rode them once so far at Markham park and I already have a flat. Could it be how I'm filling them? the front is fine, and I tightened down both the retaining ring and the end of the valve stem, but it still wasn't holding air. Maybe a bad tube?

It's not that hard to get the stem on the valve a little *ed when trying to close it after filling with air. I'd try a little soap  and water to see what's up. Hard to imagine you flatted a brand new tube unless it's the ultra thin kind and you normally run thorn resistant in your old wheel set. I had a buddy that had such a hard time with presta that he asked me to drill out his rims so he could run schrader. They were wide enough and not deep so I did it for him and he had no more issues. No matter how hard he tried he just couldn't attach the pump correctly and I got sick of doing it for him. I did this again for another friend cause he wanted to be able to buy tubes at Wal-Mart.

Welcome to the big leagues. Next thing you know you'll be running 9 gears and be outfitted in full spandex. :D  With the upgrades you've done I bet that bike feels nothing like it did when you bought it.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »
so there are options to get you back to presta..... but i can't tell you where you can readily pick them up....

I have the presta's now, but everything else I have is shrader. it's ok I like the smaller hole deal.

You can also get a schrader tube at any hardware store where presta at a bike shop or sports store that carries bike stuff.

exactly! but since a tube is like $3-4 I'll just buy a few extras at a time, I didn't expect to burn a tube so fast so I only had a single spare with me.

did you inspect the tube to see where the leak came from?

Looked at it but couldn't tell, its a slow leak, takes 15 minutes of riding to go flat. it's ok, I'd rather just swap it then try to figure it out. I must have done something right cause the front tire is fine.

Welcome to the big leagues. Next thing you know you'll be running 9 gears and be outfitted in full spandex. :D  With the upgrades you've done I bet that bike feels nothing like it did when you bought it.

Truth be told by bike is above my skill level at this point, however I'm learning and the better equipment is more suited to my weight class (230lbs). I have no plans to go 9-speed, infact I was considering going SS, but I think the 1x8 setup is working great for me now. and thats a no to the spandex, I don't even like to wear padded shorts. My bike is about as done as it gets, heres what I have now.

Bike was a 2008 specialized hardrock comp disc
upgrades:
-time atac pedals
-specialized ergo grips
-avid brake levers
-bb7 disk brakes
-rockshox dart III fork with pop-loc(remote lock out)
-maxxis ignitor tires (2.10 rear, 2.35 front)
-sram x-7 rear deraillur
-sram x-5 front shifter (needed to keep my 8-speed)
-eliminated the front deraillur and installed a third eye chain keeper
-36 tooth unramped chainring
-sram 850 8-speed cassette
-home made bash guard
-shimano xt hubs, dt swiss spokes, velocity rims.

hhmmm, I think thats about all for now ;D , now I'll just have to learn to use it right.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2009, 09:20:48 PM »
Don't forget to check the tire for a thorn or sand spur sticking in to puncture the tube.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2009, 06:11:24 AM »
stans your wheel and forget about the classic tube headache... 8)

Offline Reese

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2009, 02:12:18 PM »
stans your wheel and forget about the classic tube headache... 8)

+1 go tubeless, tubes are overrated ;D

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2009, 02:15:20 PM »
Dumb question, but i can't help it, i have to ask it since you mentioned they were new rims..and i've seen it happen one too many times..

Do you have Rim Strips on them?

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2009, 03:14:03 PM »
yes I put the rim tape in it. actually its not a dumb question cause it was the last thing I thought of before picking them up. Checked the tire and no thorns or anything, just a bad tube, the new one is fine now.

I'm not sold on the tubeless deal just yet, I like simple technology (hence going 1x8, and mechanical disk brakes) and you don't get simpler then tubes, atleast until you start using presta's :o

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2009, 03:36:14 PM »
simple as in flatting out at any moment. Simple is what people thought about points distriiuters in the 60s and 70s but their cars were always broken down on the side of the road. ??? once you get a tubless setup you realize that it is very simple its self.

naked indian

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2009, 03:42:59 PM »
simple as in flatting out at any moment. Simple is what people thought about points distriiuters in the 60s and 70s but their cars were always broken down on the side of the road. ??? once you get a tubless setup you realize that it is very simple its self.

DEAR CHISEL, 

MY NAME IS KARLOS, I AM AN ASPIRING GDR RACER.  CAN YOU SPONSOR ME AND BUILD UP MY WHEELS TUBELESS AT YOUR EXPENSE, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT AND WOULD NAME THE DOG I PLAN TO BUY WHEN I RETIRE AFTER YOU.

THANKS,
KARLOS,

PS: THANKS

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2009, 03:47:54 PM »

DEAR CHISEL, 

MY NAME IS KARLOS, I AM AN ASPIRING GDR RACER.  CAN YOU SPONSOR ME AND BUILD UP MY WHEELS TUBELESS AT YOUR EXPENSE, I WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE IT AND WOULD NAME THE DOG I PLAN TO BUY WHEN I RETIRE AFTER YOU.

THANKS,
KARLOS,

PS: THANKS

+2
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Advertisement: