Author Topic: riding @ croom  (Read 3654 times)

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
riding @ croom
« on: May 20, 2009, 12:42:31 PM »
Has anybody been riding out  at croom after all this rain??

naked indian

Re: riding @ croom
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2009, 12:59:00 PM »
skinman went yesterday, said some trees where down, but that it was in his word a blast.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 03:48:27 PM »
Paintboy...I had fun. It was my first time there. I am going again tomorrow. This time I will do the trail in reverse.  (Counter clockwise.) the trails were slow but not bad at all. There was no mud or standing water. The sandy parts were soft, but I can only imagine what they are like dry! I moved a ton of branches...but there were many that were too big to move. I did about 23 miles and was spent. It rained the whole time ...but I had the woods to myself. Saw deer, turkeys etc. I was the only person around. Very good day all around....very relaxing.
I am at 600 miles on the new bike and down 23 pounds....20 more to go!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 03:58:14 PM »
Paintboy...I had fun. It was my first time there. I am going again tomorrow. This time I will do the trail in reverse.  (Counter clockwise.) the trails were slow but not bad at all. There was no mud or standing water. The sandy parts were soft, but I can only imagine what they are like dry! I moved a ton of branches...but there were many that were too big to move. I did about 23 miles and was spent. It rained the whole time ...but I had the woods to myself. Saw deer, turkeys etc. I was the only person around. Very good day all around....very relaxing.
I am at 600 miles on the new bike and down 23 pounds....20 more to go!

Skin man, park at tucker hill and take the trail that starts right at that lot, its SOOOOOoooOOo much fun

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 04:04:33 PM »
I could tell it was a fun down hill....as I climbed up :-\ it at the end of 2 1/2 hours!! I would have rode back down just for the hell of it but my legs were toast. I pushed hard in the sand in the first 10 miles and paid for it in the end....

naked indian

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 04:08:27 PM »
I could tell it was a fun down hill....as I climbed up :-\ it at the end of 2 1/2 hours!! I would have rode back down just for the hell of it but my legs were toast. I pushed hard in the sand in the first 10 miles and paid for it in the end....

Ya its a blast you can even air out some of the humps and the moguls in that first section

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2009, 04:13:15 PM »
Are those humps/whoops made for fun or do they serve some anti-erosion purpose?

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2009, 04:54:16 PM »
Saturday May 30th BAADR will be doing a club ride there from Tucker Hill at 9am. I hope the trees are moved and sand is nice and packed by then... The 1st time I rode there i did the same thing skinman, that climb about killed me! I want to hit the red trail this time since i have not done that yet..

Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2009, 04:55:49 PM »
dirt bikes put them there

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 03:29:52 PM »
Darrinw...I went back today. The trails are in good shape except the downed branches and trees. There is a big tree down about 30-40 yards from the trail head heading down....needs a chansaw for sure...be carefull!
I rode a much better route, but only about 15-16 miles......

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2009, 06:43:47 PM »
Skinman
Thanks for all the good info.. yes there is so many ways to ride the trails at croom , I still like going from tucker to yellow then to the bailout to blue on north of croom road go backwards up sugar mountain to pits then turn around then finish the yellow to tucker hill.. Great place to ride is it not??

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2009, 07:11:24 PM »
No problem. Its fun to be into all this SWAMP stuff. Glad I am finally getting involved and getting serious about riding again.
paintboy I see you are from Odessa. I am close to there in Lutz ...You arent the guy I saw about 1 1/2 years ago at Starkey park were you? I would have been on a red Canondale road bike and we talked about Swamp and Downieville....

Anyway, Croom is very good right now, I would recommend it.

naked indian

Re: riding @ croom single speed bonanza,this Sunday
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2009, 07:25:55 PM »
The bird and i will be at tucker hill prolly knowing us round 11 or so.

Offline Paintboy

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »
NI
Sounds Great. but I will be on the east coast for a graduation . Have Great ride.. say hi to the spirit tree for  me..

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2009, 08:53:39 AM »
How well or easy are the trail markers to follow? I have been there twice, the last 2 50's. I plan to hit it early tommorow starting at parking area 3 and head North to the Drunk Monkey and pits area, from what I remember this was the best riding out there. From there I thought I would continue to the bailout and ride the yellow loop. Is the yellow loop better clockwise or counter clockwise from this point? I have read there are 3 memorable climbs but don't remember them, I seem to recall a long gradual climb at the end of the 50 which would have been the entrance/exit on the North side of the road across from the bathhouse. From there I thought I would ride back thru the bailout to the Blue loop and either return the way I came giving me another dose of the monkey or should I continue South on blue? Looking at the map it looks like there is a potential to get tripped up at the Southern end of the Blue loop with the intersecting red and bail out options, what is the most interesting option at that point? continue on the blue or head west on the red?