Author Topic: riding @ croom  (Read 3654 times)

naked indian

Re: riding @ croom
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 09:18:05 AM »
How well or easy are the trail markers to follow? I have been there twice, the last 2 50's. I plan to hit it early tommorow starting at parking area 3 and head North to the Drunk Monkey and pits area, from what I remember this was the best riding out there. From there I thought I would continue to the bailout and ride the yellow loop. Is the yellow loop better clockwise or counter clockwise from this point? I have read there are 3 memorable climbs but don't remember them, I seem to recall a long gradual climb at the end of the 50 which would have been the entrance/exit on the North side of the road across from the bathhouse. From there I thought I would ride back thru the bailout to the Blue loop and either return the way I came giving me another dose of the monkey or should I continue South on blue? Looking at the map it looks like there is a potential to get tripped up at the Southern end of the Blue loop with the intersecting red and bail out options, what is the most interesting option at that point? continue on the blue or head west on the red?

Grab a map and go for it.  If you planning on doing the CFiTT u need to practice your nav skills regardless.   ;)

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 09:22:57 AM »
I have a map and am going for it :) but how bout some feedback on which direction you think the trails flows better. Yellow loop for instance from trail head one, Clockwise which would be headed North across the street from the bathrooms or Counter clockwise which would have me start where the 50 started the last 2 years?

Luis

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2009, 09:51:22 AM »
I like to park at tucker hill (#3) head south on yellow>red trail> blue trail to parking #1 > continue on blue to pits > red connector to yellow> back to tucker...

Should be around 35-40 miles

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 10:04:40 AM »
Thats kind of what I was thinking Luis, but probably starting at parking area #1 to save that never ending drive to #3

Luis

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 10:07:48 AM »
I stopped parking at #1 after a couple of car break ins...

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »
is #1 the one by the with trail?  I park at the gravel one that has to bathroom what is that one?

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »
#1 is by the Withlacootchee trail #3 is where we started the 50. Breakins huh? That may alter my plans :P

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »
#1 is by the Withlacootchee trail #3 is where we started the 50. Breakins huh? That may alter my plans :P

I have also heard of break ins at that trail head...just didn't know the name of it

on that note:

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2009, 02:31:51 PM »
I have a map and am going for it :) but how bout some feedback on which direction you think the trails flows better. Yellow loop for instance from trail head one, Clockwise which would be headed North across the street from the bathrooms or Counter clockwise which would have me start where the 50 started the last 2 years?
Trailhead #1 at the Rails To Trails
Trailhead #2 where the Yellow crosses the dirt road.  This one is mostly used by the horse folks anymore.
Trailhead #3 at Tucker Hill. Pay Iron Ranger for parking, restrooms, Ranger Station and fire tower, official horse parking and Boy Scouts start their hikes here.

I usually start out of parking through the corridor of fencing dropping South heading towards the Clay Pits.  Couple options of 18, 22, or 35 miles.  More if you're feeling energetic and adventurous.

Offline Meerkat Surprise

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2009, 04:19:08 PM »
I prefer all the trails counter-clockwise (and that's the direction a majority of the signs are oriented). Medium length ride would be Yellow south out of Tucker Hill, Red across the bottom to Blue, Blue counterclockwise around to the other Red (don't skip Sugar Mountain), finish counterclockwise on Yellow.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »
I did the ride Meerkat suggests yesterday. I think counter clockwise was a better route.

Have fun.
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: riding @ croom single speed bonanza,this Sunday
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2009, 09:09:43 PM »
The bird and i will be at tucker hill prolly knowing us round 11 or so.
May be there at around the same time -- will bring the SS this time.  ;-)

Offline Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2009, 10:21:08 PM »
Did my ride this morning, maybe should have waited a couple of hours for the dew to burn off and some one else to clear the cob webs :o But trail conditions were as good as it gets with the recent rains. There are some options on the ridges by the pits that I will have to go back and explore, but the wet clay base on the climbs put any doubling back on hold. The one theme that was cool is that every time I rolled into one of the techie areas, deer and turkey would would run off in front of me. the first time it happened I said to myself "this is a magical place" then it happened in the pits too :) and later at the end of the southern blue loop, which as crazy as this sounds I think may have been enhanced due to the Moto traffic. My reasoning behind this is all the turns are bermed out due to the motorcycle traffic and gives the ability to really rail with some speed. The whoops caused by the same Moto traffic while annoying while tooling along are a blast if you are carrying some speed and can be pumped for some free momentum. Croom is GIGANTIC and there is so much terrain and options to ride, miles and miles of XC single track with minimal roots. I never saw another rider which is kind of errie but also kind of cool. This is a great place to put in a bunch of miles and commune with nature :)

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
Croom is GIGANTIC and there is so much terrain and options to ride, miles and miles of XC single track with minimal roots. I never saw another rider which is kind of errie but also kind of cool. This is a great place to put in a bunch of miles and commune with nature :)
That's how a lot of us feel.  I have zero problem with most people not liking the place.   :D
Will be heading over in about 90 minutes.

naked indian

Re: riding @ croom single speed bonanza,this Sunday
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2009, 09:33:36 AM »
The bird and i will be at tucker hill prolly knowing us round 11 or so.
May be there at around the same time -- will bring the SS this time.  ;-)

O yes, good times were a plenty last night and as always the company was the best feature of the evening..  BUT as a result my time table for today has gone completely fluid..  Translation, dont know when we will get there.

sorry stoney.