Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: One of the great Mysteries of 2006  (Read 1591 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
One of the great Mysteries of 2006
« on: January 03, 2007, 11:53:55 PM »
Happened at the 12 Hours of Razorback last year. Me, The Original Ellsrider, Idster and the Bowman were a team in the Beginer over 125 category. None of us had any race experience except for the Idster who had done 5  or so races in 2006 and a few in 2005. None of us wanted to do the start of the race because this involved  the dreaded run at the start and then the mass hysteria and jammed riders on the first lap. It came right up to race morning and we didn't have any one who stepped up and wanted to take this on. Down to about 1.5 hour to go and the Idster said he would do it. Enough of this @#$%%^ around, he said he would do it.  Great, just fine with me and everyone else. The Idster was the only one us who had been riding at all. Training  and riding on a regular basis all year long. He was by far the fastest and in the best shape, and logically he should be the first man out, put in a good first lap and get us off to a front of the pack start. We had no expectations of winning but all of us had been riding bikes  for years, a long time, and for many of these years these other guys were very strong  and fast riders. I was hangin' with  them,  but never as strong as any of them.  Because of this we felt that even though we were in terrible shape, had not been riding more than 30 miles a month, we could still ride, the power could be summoned and would be able to count on 'old muscle'  to enable each of us to put in fast lap times and finish respectfully. This was the plan basically for our 2006 Razorback race.
       The race starts and the Idster goes into the single track after the run, way further back then any of us thought he would. No big deal, he'll make it up. He's been riding and he's strong right now. ( Note : he really was strong at the time, as he is now, one of the strongest in the beginner class and could, if he wanted to, move up to Sport and be 'competitive' ). So the race starts, we are all sitting around the campsite,  going through final preparations for our turn on the 10 mile loop at Reddick. 30 minutes go by, almost time to get our next rider up at the transition gate. 45 minutes and we all go up to the gate area. I am the next rider and the butterflies are in the gut. The pre -race jitters, magnified by the worry that I did not have a bottle cage on my bike and this meant that the Idster was going to have to put the water bottle ( the 'baton' that is handed from rider to another after each lap) in the webbing of my camelback and I would have to carry it there during my lap where it could fall out at any time and I wouldn't even know it. 55 minutes now. All the front runners are in.  2'nd lap for a lot of solo riders and teams are well under way. 60 minutes. Ok, he went in late after the run, he had a hard time passing people;  hang on, be ready. Keep looking  through the trees, he's coming up. People in the gate area are constantly working there way past me as their riders come in. Girls are coming in now. The Idster must have crashed. Keep looking. 61 minutes. A lot of riders are coming in. Old guys, clydesdales, rooks. 62 minutes. Finally, through the trees he's coming in. We do the transition ,I do my lap, i'ts alot harder than I thought it would be and the race goes on. We finish poorly, actually we don't even finish the race as wives show up and the barbeque gets going  and the beer is flowing and we decide to sit around the campfire and eat  steaks instead of going out and punishing ourselves on another lap. So why I am writing all of this? What does any of this matter? The Idster didn't wipe out,  he didn't have a mechanical problem, he just had a slow ass lap. No explanation at all. Its a frickin mystery! So why does this matter? Because this year I have been chosen to be the first rider and this means that now I have to do the run, I have to do the first lap battles. What happened out there on that day last February? This is what I was thinking as I was running this evening, getting ready for the start of that upcoming race.  If any one saw a rider on a gold Ellsworth Id during the first lap of the 12 Hour last year let me know what he was up to, so maybe I don't have to be out running during the evening hours.  It is a mystery. Thanks.  
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
Re: One of the great Mysteries of 2006
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 06:19:05 PM »
good luck this year.... :)
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 11:01:43 PM »
Yes, let's hope it remains a mystery and you do a fast lap this year!
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 07:00:33 AM »
I am so frickin sore. Walking around like the tin man.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:20:25 PM »
The next run will be alot easier on the body.
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: