Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Good bikes for my kids  (Read 1311 times)

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
Good bikes for my kids
« on: May 21, 2009, 07:21:38 PM »
I have 7 YO twins and an 8 YO. My son (7) has the proper screw loose and it is time to get him a real bike. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to proceed? He is 4'2".
I am thinking a used 24" with 21 speeds. I may need to buy 3 bikes to keep the girls involved!!$$ ;D Is there anyplace to find a good used bike(s)? Any thought on best way to proceed with him?  He made the entire length of Indian on a SS coaster brake BMX bike.... he is a natural....The girls I will try to get out there as well but they dont have the desire as much as my son.......
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

naked indian

Re: Good bikes for my kids
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »
i recommend a 13in size frame 26 inch bike.  check my blog u can see pics of the bikes my 6 year old and 9 year old are riding.  specialized has new bikes 13 in in the 300 or so range.  shop around, its a worthy investment cause they can use it forever and then u can hand it down.  the specialized s works my 6 year old rides used to be my 15 year olds bike which used to be my nine years olds bike and so on.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 06:31:53 PM »
Thanks NI. I really appreciate the input. I may take them to UBC if they are open tomorrow and see how they fit on the bigger bikes.

naked indian

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 07:01:37 PM »
no problem skin. 

remember to achieve a "good" fit, i had to cut their seat post and put on stems with no reach or rise, like BMX style stem.

good luck, post up pics if u get them rolling on some 26ers. 

I am a huge advocate for family cycling and youth involvement in the sport.

But, any wheels smaller than 26 in is a developmental setback for kids who want to really enjoy trail riding.

Offline flyingspaghetti

• First Bike
  • Hell sucks cuz its hot
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:21:32 PM »
no problem skin. 
But, any wheels smaller than 26 in is a developmental setback for kids who want to really enjoy trail riding.

I won't go that far.
When everything is said and done what really matters is the engine and the experience.

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 08:38:48 PM »

NI,
Why do you think a wheel smaller than 26 in  would hold back a yoth rider?  I am curious because as I am buying bikes for the charity I have considered buying 24 in bikes for the kids between 10 and 12.   

By the way this is Chris, it was good meeting you the othe other day, I could listen to you talk about mountain biking all day.  Youve got some great stories.
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

naked indian

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 10:01:57 PM »

NI,
Why do you think a wheel smaller than 26 in  would hold back a yoth rider?  I am curious because as I am buying bikes for the charity I have considered buying 24 in bikes for the kids between 10 and 12.   

By the way this is Chris, it was good meeting you the othe other day, I could listen to you talk about mountain biking all day.  Youve got some great stories.

Thanks Chris great meeting u as well.
Couple of reasons for the 26ers for kids thing.
1. the bigger the wheel the better they roll threw stuff and faster they learn.
2. the 24 inch kids bike tend to be heavier then a 26in small framed bike.
3. it makes sense since its at least what they will eventually ride as they grown in to the sport.  i say at least cause u only got two other off road sizes for mtbs and thats 650b and 29ers.
4. experience is my final reason. i have been youth coaching in mtb for as long as i have been riding and i observed their progression increase exponentially once i got them on a normal sized mtb.

i challenge u or anyone to take a 20 or 24 inch mtb on a trail with roots and u will most likely never want to ride again.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 10:33:20 PM »
Heck I bought a 29er and now cant even think of riding a 26er!!! ;D
Budget may come in to play here, But if there is any chance I can get him to fit the bigger wheel I will. My expirience going from 26 to 29er, i think, is proof enough of the logic.
Although I do think a hard-tail experience is important...so no FS for now.

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 10:54:35 PM »
Heck I bought a 29er and now cant even think of riding a 26er!!! ;D
Budget may come in to play here, But if there is any chance I can get him to fit the bigger wheel I will. My expirience going from 26 to 29er, i think, is proof enough of the logic.
Although I do think a hard-tail experience is important...so no FS for now.

I agree with you as well on that point!

Advertisement: