Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Any new or soon to be new Dad's out there  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
Any new or soon to be new Dad's out there
« on: May 26, 2009, 04:34:21 PM »
As some of you know I'm about 1 month away from "D" day!

Lookin to see if there are any others out there to commisserate loss of biking freedom, and share excitements with (I've already got the first 4 bikes planned out......Heather won't let me start ordering until the baby is here though  8) )
Work, what's that?!  Oh, s*** I'm late!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
Re: Any new or soon to be new Dad's out there
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2009, 04:39:14 PM »
My experience was that I didn't lose much biking freedom intially, but it wasn't until around month 9-12  (when they become mobile) where they really required extra time.  I was also blessed with 2 girls that starting sleeping through the night at weeks 6 & 8 so that helped out tremendously as well.  My oldest is now 4 and I'm working on her with her bike now - she's up to a 16" wheel bike but still on training wheels.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2009, 08:32:25 PM »
My daughter was born 24 months ago. There was the initial 2-3 weeks where I didn't ride at all. But from the time she was a month old until 1 year she took mama's milk and I guess I wasn't needed so my wife let me ride more. Like Bill said, when she started walking it required more of my time.

I'll be doing it all over again in September.  :)
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Chris K

• Trips For Kids Tampa
  • Amateur Billy Goat
    • TFK Tampa
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 11:01:16 PM »
My son was born December 31st and I have been able to log nearly 700 off road miles in the last 5 months.  I am lucky to have a dad who is retired, lives near by and loves loves to watch the baby whenever I want to get a ride in. 

I have found it just takes a little more planning and honestly there have been times when I have planned on riding and as I'd get ready to leave I would look at my son, he would look up at me, smile and giggle and I would just decide to stay home with him.  I really cant explain that feeling you get when they look into your eyes. 

Being a father is an amazing thing.  Congratulations  and enjoy every second of it.  It flies by way to fast. 
Trips For Kids Tampa- Mountain bike outings and educational opportunities for "at risk" kids www.mtbyouthride.org

Offline nolesworld

• First Bike
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 12:16:51 AM »
I have a 3 year old and a 3 month old.  When I only had one it was easy except for the very beginning (first few months) to get out and ride.  Having a second has been way tougher.  I think it depends on your wife and how you balance your time.  My wife is way cool and lets me get out a couple times a week to ride and I return the favor so she can go shopping or whatever.  I also make sure to spend as much quality time with the family as possible.  Balance is key.

naked indian

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:04:18 AM »
As some of you know I'm about 1 month away from "D" day!

Lookin to see if there are any others out there to commisserate loss of biking freedom, and share excitements with (I've already got the first 4 bikes planned out......Heather won't let me start ordering until the baby is here though  8) )

Congrats dood.
Seriously.
Buy a bike baby seat, they even got one on the handlebars now that looks rad.
and a trail a bike.
take your child with you every chance you get.
You got many years of nothing but special moments and learning ahead.
A blessing indeed.

Shred....

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 08:23:18 AM »
Thanks guys!!

I'd love to get her out as soon as possible.  Any suggestions on one of those kid trailers that you pull behind?

How soon could I realistically look at getting her out in one of those?

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 08:42:50 AM »

I would wait a while before putting them in one of the trailers.  They need to first have strong enough neck muscles to hold their head up on their own and then you need to get them a helmet which adds weight to their head.  I would say once you have sitting up regularly, you should be good (but I'm sure the manufacturers of the trailers have their own guidelines).
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

naked indian

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 08:50:04 AM »
Thanks guys!!

I'd love to get her out as soon as possible.  Any suggestions on one of those kid trailers that you pull behind?

While they are small, the best bet is a seat that attaches either to the bars on the bike, you can do lots of road rides or sidewalk surfing with that and light trails.
Small being 6 months or older..
Once they are big enough you can use a trailer to tow them around and go cycling as a family.

once they are 2 or 3 depending on size and strength of the child buy a trail a bike, I use to take my son on his trail a bike to Snowhill and ride 20 plus miles out there.  Fun times.

But trail a bike, not the trail gator.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 08:38:56 AM »
Barry,
Congrats to you and Heather (i think that is her name right?  If not sorry... :-)..  I gave my son his first bike ride on one of these.  Actually, I used it a lot to take my son with me anywhere I went outside to do work.  He really enjoyed the wind and got to see the outside...  He was probably 4-6 months old.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2009, 08:58:43 AM »
Barry,
Congrats to you and Heather (i think that is her name right?  If not sorry... :-)..  I gave my son his first bike ride on one of these.  Actually, I used it a lot to take my son with me anywhere I went outside to do work.  He really enjoyed the wind and got to see the outside...  He was probably 4-6 months old.

The 2 of you don't look much alike.  ;)
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2009, 09:05:58 AM »
LOL.....  Damn milkman!

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2009, 05:15:23 PM »
Thanks Marcel!  Yep, Heather's the prettier half!!

I never pictured your son as the blond haired blue-eyed kid in the picture....hmmm, yeah you should look into that milkman thing.......

Advertisement: