Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE IMPORTANT!!!  (Read 1929 times)

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE IMPORTANT!!!
« on: May 27, 2009, 07:10:15 PM »
Heads up!
As some of you know, I managed to break my femur back in December. Still working on the healing process.

I have, I think very good insurance where I work, of the $60,000 plus total cost so far, I'm only out of pocket for about $3500.00

* I was lucky to have a job that never stopped paying me because I had some vacation time to use plus they let me work from home for a couple of months. ( Would you be so lucky?)

Back in Nov of 2008 I had the chance to sign up for Aflac insurance which pays direct to you when you do something like I did.
( Available at my work as an option )

At the time I did not sign up because that would have been like betting I would get hurt, right? No one plans to get hurt right?

Fast guy Gregg(Kona rider) pointed out to me recently that I really should have signed up, because that would have paid me about $14K.
(More than enough for another Ellsworth!)

Gegg markets various health insurance plans, including Aflac

So... if you ride, expecially if you ride hard and sometimes hit the ground hard, you might want to give Gregg a shout and ask him how cheap he can sign you up with Aflac.

Monthly cost might be less than a typical large Pizza and your favorite beer,  depending on your age.

Gegg would not stump for business here, but I have no problem making you aware of something that could really be a help to you or your family if end up getting hurt in some way.

No, Gegg probably won't make enough $$ to get off the Kona and buy an American made bike ( Ellsworth!) if everyone signs up with him, but I hope you check this out anyway.

http://www.aflac.com/us/en/individuals/accidentdisability.aspx

Send me a note if you want Gregg's contact info.

Frank   
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Re: PUBLIC SERVICE MESSAGE IMPORTANT!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
I have disability insurance through work. When I cut my knee a few months ago and missed a few days of work I got a few hundred bucks, at least I didn't have to use vacation days like I did when I seperated my shoulder. But Aflac also has accident insurance, which I have also signed up for. You can't run 2 different disability coverages, but you can run an accident and a disability that should help cover the bills. I cut my knee doing trailwork of all things!
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 07:39:13 PM »
My 2 cents.... make sure you read a copy of the policy as there are many exclusions and limitations to the coverage being marketed and being sold.  If insurance was pay pay pay for everything no would be able to afford it. 

2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 07:40:09 PM »
Hell SFG, I've only seen you do trail-work once, the way you move rocks around I'm surprised thats all you have hurt!

So AFLAC will cover a bike wreck? It is offered through my job but I turned it down. I thought there was too much fine print....ie: you must be a virgin in white and never touched dirt for AFLAC to give you anything....etc.
Maybe I need to look again.....
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2009, 07:44:15 PM »
Check with Gregg, he's used his! Pretty straight foreward policy.

May not be for everyone, I thought It was not for me.
I was way wrong.

naked indian

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2009, 07:51:33 PM »
Hell SFG, I've only seen you do trail-work once, the way you move rocks around I'm surprised thats all you have hurt!

So AFLAC will cover a bike wreck? It is offered through my job but I turned it down. I thought there was too much fine print....ie: you must be a virgin in white and never touched dirt for AFLAC to give you anything....etc.
Maybe I need to look again.....

I have Aflac accident insurance on the entire family.

In the policy it says you they wont pay if you were in a race and got hurt.

Regardless, I love my Aflac.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2009, 07:53:55 PM »
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2009, 07:57:39 PM »
People race mountain bikes?

True, it don't pay if you're racing, so don't get hurt racing.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 08:09:01 PM »
My 2 cents.... make sure you read a copy of the policy as there are many exclusions and limitations to the coverage being marketed and being sold.  If insurance was pay pay pay for everything no would be able to afford it.

For the record,

Frank is right, I won't use this for a forum on what I do for a living, But......

Aflac WILL cover you for any accident that you would have from biking.

In fact the only exclusions are:

Rockclimbing
Skydiving
Piloting a plane for commercial or non commercial use.
Any professional competition, regardless of what sport. HOWEVER: Racing a bike in a recreational race, would be covered. If you are not a PROFESSIONAL you would be covered.  I am SURE of this.

It amazes me that more of you don't have this kind of coverage. It is cheap and very comprehensive. Believe me, your health insurance doesn't cover everything.

Deductables and time off from work....will not be covered by your health insurance. I also rep health insurance and other supplemental carriers.

Also of note, I did a calculation from another persons accident (someone you know), he would have gotten more than 9,000.

This will be my only post on this subject.

To answer the question as to why the company would pay out claims so willingly, is simple the more claims that they pay out, the more people know it, and then the more people sign up.

Aflac pays typically within 5 days of the claim being recieved and they approve 97 percent of their claims.

If you have interest, let me know. I will not try to exert any high pressure. The fact is you all need this kind of coverage. If they offer it at work, get it there or if you hate me find another agent, but you need it.

Thanks again Frank!

Gregg

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2009, 08:21:03 PM »
I made thousands off my trip to the hospital.....so it is for real folks...it pays to get the suplimental accident insurance

also Gregg would never steer you wrong...he actually has given me solid advise several times even when it meant getting something that was a better deal elsewhere
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 08:28:24 PM by FACTORells »

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »
And if you ride with Gregg too much he will make sure you USE that coverage!

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2009, 07:25:29 AM »
And if you ride with Gregg too much he will make sure you USE that coverage!
The one and only time I've ridden with Gregg, he tried to test my insurance coverage on Gatorback.  :D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline StonePony

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 10:18:33 AM »
Let me add that after reading this post I went ahead and made contact with Gregg since the supplemental insurance subject has been on my to-do list for a while.  He's been a pleasure to work with this week, and has spent a lot of time and given me very solid advice and guidance on how to proceed.  We've already shored up a couple of weak spots in my overall insurance situation, and I'll be working with him on a couple more as well. 

He even came out and met me at Croom and did a mid-day ride with me, which considering his general feelings on Croom shows his dedication to his craft.   :)   Unfortunately, the fun of the ride was tempered somewhat as there was an unforeseen chronic mechanical issue with my redline SS, but we had a couple periods where we were able to get up a little speed.

As others have said, for those of you who are contemplating beefing up your insurance situation, I'd highly recommend giving Gregg a call.

moleminiman

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 08:48:01 AM »
I agree if you're going to get into this sport you should get something because you will get injured and it's usually in the dumbest places.  I've been in the hospital at least once a year for something.  Fortunate for me I work there........I broke my finger once and took my own Xray haha.  I'm used to working on my bike not myself.......I'd like to keep it that way!

Advertisement: