Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: cool opportunity  (Read 1094 times)

Offline rob_squared

• Cycling Sherpa
cool opportunity
« on: May 29, 2009, 11:56:54 AM »
i'm interested in feedback and ideas here.

my employer is large. there are many perks and benefits associated with a large employer like intramural sports leagues, diversity groups, military committees, local business discounts, etc, etc.

so we are officially launching a “fitness club”. most folks are runners or tri geeks it seems...... but you know me - i like bikes, especially mtb’s...... it’s hard right now to pin down this “club” as there is no charter or goal statement, no real money available, and its just gotten kicked off with one meeting…..

so i want to kick this right in the arse and get some stuff going. here is the question(s).... without any data on interest levels and what not, what can i offer to get people on bikes?

i've thought of clinics (Kliniks) about:
drive train maintenance
changing flats
curb hoping/obstical course

i've also thought of mapping some "D" level rides for those scared to ride the roads with traffic. And eventually "D" rides at say, Santos or Croom to introduce mtbing to those that are virgins to dirt.

what else would you do?

Luis

Re: cool opportunity
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:07:39 PM »
what else would you do?

I try to stay away from my co-workers as much as possible on my free time, but that's just me  ;D

Good luck with your idea though!  A little physical activity would be great for 75% of the people I work with....

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:30:09 PM »
There is strength in numbers. Just find some folks that you work with  that what to MTB or are thinking of riding put a notice on bulletin board and start riding together on weekends. Good luck with that That`s how I started now I can`t stop....

Offline Redriderpro

• Redriderpro
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Devinci Atlas carbon 29er
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 02:19:30 PM »
Get'm! I over the years have gotten as many as 12 of my co-workers to go out to Flatwoods. As of today, there are a total of 4 that have stuck with it.

Entice them with pictures of "nice" easy trails, the river, wildlife etc.

Biggest job is to overcome their thinking of "I can't keep up", or I'll get hurt.
( I'm currently healing from a broken leg, so that part is sometimes hard to do)

Also, would suggest as a starting point the Thursday Urban CDB ride by SWAMP, that's a great way to "ease" them into it.

I would not start them on a regular Sunday SWAMP ride,most would be intimidated. ( To much spandex?) 
"Big Dogs Like It Rough!"

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 08:21:57 PM »
I would think most of them are not into MTBing because they haven't been exposed. Maybe, a good video (one without crashing and carnage) would help. That might be very exciting to those who are unitiated.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline Guido

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 08:42:44 PM »
There are plenty of videos on YouTube of the local trails that will give them an idea of the excitement they can expect.  Just type in the trail name and "wha la".  Instant gratification.

Advertisement: