Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Budget cuts and regional parks  (Read 5139 times)

Offline Barb S

• First Bike
Budget cuts and regional parks
« on: June 04, 2009, 12:32:53 PM »
Hello all,
You might have noted in the paper that Pat Bean's budget proposal was leaked.  Consideration is being given to only operating regioinal parks (including Flatwoods, Morris Bridge, Trout Creek) five days a week.  It will save some money. The County Commission will hold at least one public meeting before it decides what to do. I think the final budget is slated to be approved in September.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: Budget cuts and regional parks
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 08:09:58 AM »
Huh... so no biking on the weekends?  Or just no Ranger support on the weekends?

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 08:27:30 AM »
Huh... so no biking on the weekends?  Or just no Ranger support on the weekends?
Still waiting to find out, possibility WT won't be involved??

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 08:45:05 AM »
i would think they would not close any of the parks on the weekend anyway. that is when they are used the most. I would bet to say closed Monday and Tuesday or somekind of combo like that....

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 08:51:55 AM »
i would think they would not close any of the parks on the weekend anyway. that is when they are used the most. I would bet to say closed Monday and Tuesday or somekind of combo like that....

That was the proposal down here. Close parks and libraries on the least busy days.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Barb S

• First Bike
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 09:22:16 AM »
The plan is to closed Monday and Tuesday; but could be Monday and another day. 

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »
The plan is to closed Monday and Tuesday; but could be Monday and another day.
If approve, can we still ride those days?  Hope the closed gates?  Or would we be trasspasing?

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 01:00:48 PM »
Makes sense and though I would find it a bit disapointing it's not a bad idea if cuts must be made. Wish they'd cut some other places first but to the politicos this would be an easy one with relatively little backlash.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 01:16:10 PM »
Makes sense and though I would find it a bit disapointing it's not a bad idea if cuts must be made. Wish they'd cut some other places first but to the politicos this would be an easy one with relatively little backlash.

I'm sure they have cut in many other areas. You have to remember it's been 3 years now of budget cuts for Counties. We had cuts ranging between 18% & 9% here in Sarasota each year. This year we're looking at about 12%.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 03:43:21 PM »
I talked to Eddie at Wilderness Park (Flatwoods/Morris Bridge/Trout Creek) and it looks kinda grim, most importantly there are Rangers that are losing their jobs.

He told me, like Barb said that there will be public hearings in the coming weeks. I will be meeting with Eddie next week, I will keep you updated on what I hear.

When these public hearings occur, I hope that we as the local biking community will come out in force and try to either stop it or minimize the impact.

Gregg

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 03:45:08 PM »
I say get rid of more teachers and cops and firefighters so we can keep the trails open

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 03:55:35 PM »
I say get rid of more teachers and cops and firefighters so we can keep the trails open

It figures that you would come up with something stupid to say about this serious subject. Somethings are not joking matters.....I love ya like a brother, but......

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 03:59:48 PM »
Better yet - charge all prisoners for each of their overnight stays. Can't afford it?  Work it off in service to County and State until it is paid in full. Slash the budget in service.  ;D

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »

It figures that you would come up with something stupid to say about this serious subject. Somethings are not joking matters.....I love ya like a brother, but......

stupid?  how do you think the general public feels about spending how much money to repave the pinellas trail when how many teachers and first responders are being let go?

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 04:11:07 PM »

stupid?  how do you think the general public feels about spending how much money to repave the pinellas trail when how many teachers and first responders are being let go?

I'm with you, that is stupid. Your statement while attempting to be funny was saying that is exactly what they should do in Hillsborough County.

I don't want this to get overly political and you know my politics, there is money wasted everyday on crap that no one needs. These parks add value to the communities. Police, Teachers , Firefighters, and other first responders add value to the community. Not only should they not be being cut, they deserve more. I guarantee that there are things that could be trimmed or cut completely that most people would not miss.

Did you know that you can get a cell phone for free if you are on welfare? That is appalling when we are talking about cutting things like heavily used parks.

Advertisement: