Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: MTB on the road  (Read 2210 times)

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
MTB on the road
« on: June 05, 2009, 01:44:46 PM »
I took the mtb out for a short road ride yesterday, only 8.5 miles. While riding a car passed me and the oh so well informed driver shouted "get on the sidewalk". Do you guys that ride the roads get this kind of crap a lot?
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline Harvey

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: MTB on the road
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:10:22 PM »
I haven't heard that one in a while, but it's pretty much par for the course. At least they didn't throw anything at you when they yelled.

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 02:32:09 PM »
You've had people throw things at you? What the hell is wrong with people?!

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 02:34:40 PM »
I've learned to ignore the heckling.

A few days ago some kids drove by me in a car and pretended to be rowing while creeping past me. Good for a laugh  :D , rather than a shake of the head ??? .
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 03:02:25 PM »
I accidently scratched a big scratch down a new benz last night - approaching red light - i am in bike lane - lady decides as I am riding by her that she needs to move over to bike lane to go around traffic and make the right rather than wait for light....I slap the side of her car as she drifted into me and as she topped real quick my wedding ring sraped a big scratch down the side of her car...I am sure she is insured

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 03:53:46 PM »
I took the mtb out for a short road ride yesterday, only 8.5 miles. While riding a car passed me and the oh so well informed driver shouted "get on the sidewalk". Do you guys that ride the roads get this kind of crap a lot?

The person who yelled at you needs to go back and retake the Florida Driver License exam. Florida is a 'Share the Road" State, which means that bicycles have the same right to be on the road as cars do. 
That means of course that when we are riding on the road that we are supposed to follow all of the same traffic rules that cars do. For example, stop at stop signs and traffic signals.

Driver's are required to maintain a minimum distance of 3 feet from you as they pass.

Unless there is a specific bike lane, then you are allowed to be on the right side of the lane of traffic. Also, unless it is specified to be a bike path, Sidewalks are not for bicycles.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 03:56:31 PM »
Florida is a 'Share the Road" State, which means that bicycles have the same right to be on the road as cars do.
Actually, this is true of all 50 states.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:00:26 PM »
Florida is a 'Share the Road" State, which means that bicycles have the same right to be on the road as cars do.
Actually, this is true of all 50 states.

My statement is still correct..... ;D

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 04:05:56 PM »

Unless there is a specific bike lane, then you are allowed to be on the right side of the lane of traffic. Also, unless it is specified to be a bike path, Sidewalks are not for bicycles.

I agree bicycles should stay off the sidewalks but cyclists can ride on the sidewalk as long as they yield to pedestrians and warn the pedestrian before passing.

http://www.floridabicycle.org/rules/bikelaw.html

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 04:12:26 PM »

I agree bicycles should stay off the sidewalks but cyclists can ride on the sidewalk as long as they yield to pedestrians and warn the pedestrian before passing.

[url=http://www.floridabicycle.org/rules/bikelaw.html]http://www.floridabicycle.org/rules/bikelaw.html[/url]

Correct, but there is no requirement for them to be on the sidewalk like the person that shouted at you implied.

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 04:32:42 PM »

http://www.floridabicycle.org/rules/bikelaw.html[/]

Correct, but there is no requirement for them to be on the sidewalk like the person that shouted at you implied.

Agreed. I misunderstood your statement.

Offline Clay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 05:00:03 PM »
Hey Bugman, the sidewalk can and is one of the most dangerous places for us cyclists. Cars dont stop at sidewalks, they stop (I mean roll through) at stop signs that are usually many feet beyond a sidewalk. Just keep on doing what your doing and ignore those who are not willing to educate themselves. My best advice when your riding on the road be a defensive rider and always expect the unexpected!

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 05:03:06 PM »
I don't know which is safer the street or the side walk, I do know that I have been hit twice while riding in the street, Luckily just got banged up both times, but I haven't ever been hit while on the sidewalk.

Offline Clay

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 05:07:55 PM »
I agree silentko, it's a shame that no matter where you ride (road) your never as safe as you should be. I hate sidewalks b/c the cracks btwn plots drive me crazy. It's a huge problem that a vast majority of people don't see cycling as a viable form of transportation, yet simply a burden to the HUGE SUVS that dominate our roads:(

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 05:22:01 PM »
Hey Bugman, the sidewalk can and is one of the most dangerous places for us cyclists. Cars dont stop at sidewalks, they stop (I mean roll through) at stop signs that are usually many feet beyond a sidewalk. Just keep on doing what your doing and ignore those who are not willing to educate themselves. My best advice when your riding on the road be a defensive rider and always expect the unexpected!

Thanks for the advice. I found myself looking over my shoulder every time I heard a car coming and got prepared to jump up onto the sidewalk. It made for a stressful ride so I cut it short. Maybe I'll just stay in the dirt.

Advertisement: