Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: CLOSED TRAILS - PASS THE WORD  (Read 2899 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
CLOSED TRAILS - PASS THE WORD
« on: June 06, 2009, 04:20:20 PM »
Hey all, at Boyette - Sidewinder, SWAMP Thing, Ridgeline and Garry's Loop are all closed until repairs can done.

Want to ride it?  Help us fix it so that it is rideable.  We really need the rain, but we have also gotten so much that it has affected the trail conditions in the more clay type areas.  People are pulling down the blockades we have put up to keep traffic off, so that just means it will take longer to make the trails right.  It also means what was once narrow fun singletrack is now a sloshy, wide, rutted mess.

Can't make the workday?

Part of helping fix these types of trails is to not ride them when they are at their worst.  This also goes for Bridges and Moonscape at Alafia; Indian and Gator Bait at Morris Bridge, and the hard options at Croom.

Nothing wrong with telling people not to poach our closed more sensitive trails.  If they don't know what it means when logs and debris are blocking a trail they should be told.

Right now a yellow rope with a CLOSED sign is up at the entrance to Sidewinder.  Hopefully that makes more sense than physically blocking the entrance with debris.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:23:59 PM by Garry »

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: CLOSED TRAILS - PASS THE WORD
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »
Hey all, at Boyette - Sidewinder, SWAMP Thing, Ridgeline and Garry's Loop are all closed until repairs can done.

Want to ride it?  Help us fix it so that it is rideable.  We really need the rain, but we have also gotten so much that it has affected the trail conditions in the more clay type areas.  People are pulling down the blockades we have put up to keep traffic off, so that just means it will take longer to make the trails right.  It also means what was once narrow fun singletrack is now a sloshy, wide, rutted mess.

Can't make the workday?

Part of helping fix these types of trails is to not ride them when they are at their worst.  This also goes for Bridges and Moonscape at Alafia; Indian and Gator Bait at Morris Bridge, and the hard options at Croom.

Nothing wrong with telling people not to poach our closed more sensitive trails.  If they don't know what it means when logs and debris are blocking a trail they should be told.

Right now a yellow rope with a CLOSED sign is up at the entrance to Sidewinder.  Hopefully that makes more sense than physically blocking the entrance with debris.

Bridges? It wasn't closed off and looked to be in good shape today.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »

Can't make the workday?

Bridges? It wasn't closed off and looked to be in good shape today.
That would be great!  Thought I had a report from the other day that said otherwise.  I'll recheck.

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2009, 07:00:59 PM »
There was one puddle on a low spot, and there is always the bottom of that climb (i think its the first climb after the second bridge) that seems to wanna wash out. Otherwise the rest seemed ok to me. I'm referring to all except the big whoops at the end.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2009, 07:30:40 PM »
Garry is most of the damage from the rain or is from folks riding when its wet? I expect both. I'm just curious how Ridgeline holds up to rain only. I'm gonna get out there to help again after July 16th. Sucks people are riding it after you blocked it.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »
Garry is most of the damage from the rain or is from folks riding when its wet? I expect both. I'm just curious how Ridgeline holds up to rain only. I'm gonna get out there to help again after July 16th. Sucks people are riding it after you blocked it.
There is some erosion of the trail from the rain where it washed away, but there is other places where bike tires have rutted the trail and displaced stone that was put down to harden the trail once the clay dries. 

Riding wet clay just pushes everything to the side and causes repair and replacement of stone.  It is HARD to get the stone back in some of those places.  HARD, HARD, HARD work. 

I challenge anyone to shovel a large pile of stone like what WAS at the exit of Ridgeline, trailer it over to an access area, then take a wheelbarrow and huff and puff it up and down hills to where it needs to be.  Our crew of 6 today were plum tuckered out and we still have more to do.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2009, 09:42:21 PM »
Gary...you were at Boyette today? I thought it was next Saturday? Did I get my days mixed up...if so wherer will the crews be next weekend?
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 11:43:06 PM »
Gary...you were at Boyette today? I thought it was next Saturday? Did I get my days mixed up...if so wherer will the crews be next weekend?
Wes called a workday under the radar to not pull away from the Alafia workday. This was to address some of the issues of the closed trails to try and get them reopened.  Next weekend, the 13th, we will meet at parking before 9:00 and work on Spider Berms new trail.  Wes will also be looking for more help on the repair work of Ridgeline.

Offline cardalico

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 01:03:29 AM »
Ill be showing up.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 06:59:09 AM »
Ill be showing up.
Thanks!  Your name?

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 08:38:50 AM »
OK...I am still planning on being there.
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 06:37:00 PM »
Wes called a workday under the radar to not pull away from the Alafia workday. This was to address some of the issues of the closed trails to try and get them reopened.  Next weekend, the 13th, we will meet at parking before 9:00 and work on Spider Berms new trail.  Wes will also be looking for more help on the repair work of Ridgeline.

I'm in for work this coming weekend. I was out at boyette today. I did the quickie clean up of the Nesses. Golf cart has what I think is critter damage on some of the trail shoulders, and needs pruning. I checked out the barriers at Ridgeline and swampthing. Still up, but I had ten people mob me in the parking lot asking why it was closed and "can I ride it even though it's blocked". Most were super cool about a no answer. Two guys pretty much told me they will simply go around.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 07:10:03 PM »
Two guys pretty much told me they will simply go around.

There's always a few.  8)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 07:11:52 PM »
Two guys pretty much told me they will simply go around.

There's always a few.  8)

Was one of them you, TTT?  Be honest ;)
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 07:14:42 PM »
Nope, wasn't me.   :-*
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Advertisement: