Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Heart Rate Monitor  (Read 6278 times)

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
Heart Rate Monitor
« on: January 06, 2007, 09:47:39 PM »
Ok I'm starting to think there might be something to training with a heart rate monitor. I guess over the past 10 years or so I rode mountain bikes purely as a hobby, just as happy go lucky as one could be.

Well heck now that I am in my mid 30's my bike has become much more than a hobby. 1st its an obsession, and my wife thinks I will leave her for a bike LOL...  2nd its huge stress relief. 3rd it has become more competative for me and this is where the Heart Rate Monitor could come in handy.

So I guess I am after two things here.
1. What do you use the Heart Rate Monitor for....  Now I have gone to the Polar website and read all the propaganda they put out..  but what do you guys use your monitor for. Do you know your resting Heart Rate? Do you know what your Max is?  Why should you train at 70 percent or 65 percent?

2. How many of you guys use a Heart Monitor? Cause I am here to tell you if enough of you use it then I definately want one...  LOL (SHEEP) just kidding....  But seriously if  you have one how long have  you used it and has it helped at all...

Thanks for the help

-BOb    ;D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: Heart Rate Monitor
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 11:14:41 PM »
I don't use a heart rate monitor, but know some who do.  If I were to use one there are many times I would slow down and not ride nearly as hard.  I don't know if that's good or not for me personally.  I ride as strong as I can on any given day.  I guess if I were training and really serious about being in a certain zone I would use one.  That's just me.  I think I'd rather have a GPS.

Garry :)

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 11:25:47 PM »
Thanks for the input..  do  you use all the data from the GPS to log when  you ride Garry??

-BOb
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 07:35:54 AM »
Thanks for the input..  do  you use all the data from the GPS to log when  you ride Garry??

-BOb

Sorry for the misunderstanding - I would rather have a GPS (as in don't have one yet) than a heart rate monitor.  I do see benefits for the HRM, but like the different features of a GPS.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 07:40:54 AM »
being ignorant on this subject I go by the simple barometer of if it's good enough for Lance, it's good enough for me. I've heard from alot of people who ar serious about training, tri-athletes, roadies, mtb racers and they all swear by it. The things that I read  and hear I generally do not understand because  It's all greek to me until I apply myself to learn some of the basics. It would be nice to have one. I hear sports authority has a clearance on them right now. Orginal Ellsrider just bought one Sat. for like $50. I think it is a basic model. Is that all one needs? Or is it better for cycling to have one geared for cycling? darren at AJ's has one  that is like having your own trainer. You can set it up for different training regimens and when you are biking it will tell you if you are pedalling too fast or too slow based on the average speeds that you pre- set, plus a million other things.  Pretty cool stuff. Toys , toys, toys. Can you put a price on being healthy?  Biking is a pretty cheap hobby compared to other hobbies even with the all the extras that we all want.    
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 07:45:44 AM »
I just purchased one yesterday and used it at Alifia. I have not researched the optimal training zones yet but it was interesting to see what the old ticker was doing. I saw a sweet deal and could not pass it up. Sports authority has them on sale 40% off I paid $59.99 and it works  well! 8)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 07:51:53 AM »
Does yours have any computer hook ups to download and log info? what about beeps or  sounds  for warnings?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 08:05:23 AM »
original ellsrider go to the chat room feature. click on the word chat next to the forum Home button at the top
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 08:10:02 AM »
I have not played around with it yet but the package says. ecg accurate measuring, quick start, 4 training zone sessions each with visual and audible alarms, 100 hour chronograph, actual heart rate, session recording, 50 lap memory, 50 split time recordings, time in zone (tmz), and othe visual features. A whole bunch of things I may never use.

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 08:23:58 AM »
A good Heart Rate monitor can do three things for you.

1. Help you effectively increase your top speed.

2. Help you effectively increase your endurance, go further if you will.

3. Tell you when it it time for more fuel.

Forget the technical terms, just know that there is a work-level point where going faster only works on your speed and eats up your endurance.  For most people it takes time and effort to guess where this point is.  Working with a HRM can help find this point quickly.

You know there is a speed/effort level where you can "ride all day" right?  You also know that above that effort you can't keep going. Do you know where that point is?  Can you tell precisely?

That is where a HRM helps the most.  By working with different rides (endurance efforts and speed efforts) you slowly learn where that heart rate point is. 

It takes a bit of effort and it is kind of complicated though. However, some of the newer HRM's have more features (like cadence, graphs, resting HR tests, 'Own Zone', etc) that decrease the effort and complexity.

Here is one example of how my HRM helped me learn to ride faster with less effort.  (Using the same trail system over several months)
First I went for rides full speed ahead, no holds barred, and tracked my average speed and max/average heart rate.
Back then it was something like 11.4 mph av  166 max / 145 av beats per minute.  Pretty high hear rates for my age.
Next I took a "base ride", by setting a HR zone with 75% of my max HR (175) as the max heart rate.  The rules were simple: ride as fast as you can without going above 135 bpm and if the over max alarm goes off on the HRM slow waaay down until it dips below alarm level.
I was appalled after my first ride: 9.1 average speed, 136 average HR. 142 max. (remember, my HR alarm was set to go off at 136 beats per minute bpm or above)  Yes, my average was still higher than my max limit!  However, after a couple more rides I quickly learned what effort it took to ride over trail areas without greatly increasing my HR.  In fact, with road riding included, I soon learned how to raise or lower my HR by 1 or 2 beats.

After 3 or 4 training rides like this I was up to 11.0 average speed, 136 max HR and 133 average.

In other words, I found my 'ride for a long time' point AND learned how go faster with less effort.

Alas, as human beings change all the time, it takes constant effort to learn where that point is today.  Rarely, over time, does that point stay exactly the same.
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 08:44:20 AM »
pretty cool suff. how does it tell you to add fuel? Heart rate goes up but average  speed is still low?
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline BeerCan

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: Turner Sultan (V1)
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 11:48:32 AM »
Here is one of the HRM + GPS deals I was going to buy before I decided I wanted them seperate.
http://www.geomangear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=16&zenid=bac972d2c4a8ed1bcf1ccf2e4c2f24b0

Good unit if you only plan on using it on your bike.  Me, I mainly use my HRM so I know when to back down on my training.  I recently lost a friend (38 YO) on my ice hockey team.  He had a heart attack in the parking lot of the rink after a game.  Pretty sobering.

BTW I am curently GPS mapping the trails at boyette.  I plan on doing all the local trails eventually.  When I am done I will make all the data available to swampers.

FWIW I went with the Polar F11 (on sale $79) HRM http://www.polarusa.com/products/fseries/f11.asp and the Garmin 60csx GPS http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 11:52:22 AM by BeerCan »
"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture." Frank Zappa
------------------------------------

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 03:51:13 PM »
pretty cool suff. how does it tell you to add fuel? Heart rate goes up but average  speed is still low?

Yeah, when you have enough ride experience you can tell when your HR goes up a few beats for no reason.  You are not really "told" to fuel up, it's you noticing your rate change.  You can't feel the difference and on rough trails you can't always tell by HR alone.
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 08:41:24 AM »
I use both a GPS and an HRM.  For GPS, I have a Nextel phone and use the AllSportGPS product (http://allsportgps.com/Default.aspx) to track all my miles, speed, elevations, route maps, etc...  For HRM I use a CATEYE computer that has the hart rate monitor on it.  Is the HR200DW (http://cateye.com/en/product_detail/252).  I don't use the HRM too often.  I bought it when I was heavier and thought I was having hart attacks.  Sure enough, I was pushing my self way too many times over my 185 beats per minute max hart rate.  Then I wasn't slowing down enough, or not breathing properly to get it down.  I don't use it for any training purposes just to watch my hart rate.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 05:12:20 PM »
I can appreciate that Mr. Sandpine. Thats one of the reasons I decided to start riding more, get back in shape for the next 30 years of my life. Hearing about people having heart attacks after hockey games really will get the attention of a much older mtb biker. No telling what his diet was like though. Another good thing about biking is that you really pay on the trail if you are loaded down with junk and heavy cholesterol type foods so if you are planning on riding it makes you think twice about loading up on the bad foods. Sorry about your friend Beercan, something like that is a shock to everybody.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 05:16:53 PM by EllsRider »
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: