Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: What could go wrong will go wrong  (Read 2449 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
What could go wrong will go wrong
« on: June 06, 2009, 11:24:55 PM »
So we had a pretty big group heading up to Santos today. Five cars and seven riders total. 60% chance of rain but we just said screw it, it's not like it's gonna rain all day...........well yes, it did pretty much rain all day. (BillT: two people crashed in the parking lot due to the slick blacktop so don't feel bad)
So on the way up one car group had their water pump seal blow out so they hitched a ride with another group and had their car towed home (lost about 2.5 hrs there). One guy was well on his way when he realized he had forgotten his CamelBak so he went home to grab it and then decided to sit this one out due to the rain report he was getting from some of the others. Funny thing is I had an extra CamelBak in my truck but no one told me what was going on. If you ride with newbies you learn to bring any extras that you may have. So we rode in the rain and it was actually really fun. It was raining just enough to annoy you and the ground conditions were not that bad except for over at the Vortex. It was getting well passed lunch time so we headed back to the parking lot to cook some bratwurst on the portable grill. I'm gathering up my food and notice 2-3 people looking at the grill with frustrated looks on their faces. Grill isn't working!!! Finally got it fixed and enjoyed way to many bratwurst (three brats plus two rootbeers and chips with french onion dip). Must have been eating to cope with all the stress of the day  :'(

Finished lunch and headed back out for a few more hours. Had to leave two back at parking lot cause the massive intake of junk food didn't agree with them. Pack up and start heading home. Just getting in the groove for the long ride home and the phone rings. Someone left their camera in my truck and they live an hour away from me so had to head back  >:(

Good news is I had the chance to ride my buddies new Ellsworth. Nice bike but couldn't get a very good test ride due to seriously jacked up brake/shifter positioning as well as a funky seat position (I wasn't gonna go adjusting the mans bike so I could get a good test ride). The bike was certainly light and I could tell it wasn't any old full suspension rig. I assume I'd really have to ride it for a good amount of time and on different trails to see what all the buzz its about. As of right now, it is in no way worth twice as much as my mass production frame. Then again, I don't race so I really don't need every little advantage that this bike may offer. It sure does look pretty though.

Oh yeah, took a bad spill off of the high boardwalk in the Votex area and bent my derailleur hanger. Wet boardwalks don't offer much traction :-[
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: What could go wrong will go wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 06:46:32 AM »
Karma.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2009, 08:34:27 AM »
I think I can beat that Catman...

Was cub scout camping this weekend at meddard park in Plant city and brought the bikes. was not feeling so good yesterday afternoon so decided to pack up and leave. while backing up to get out of the camping area, the bikes bumped a low hanging branch I did not see, and shattered the glass of the window of the hatch of my Ford Flex :o ... Had to get the wife to come out and get the bikes, and know have to see about getting the glass replaced.... now need to get a hitch mount to avoid this again.. :( >:( ::) :'( :-[ 

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 08:35:20 AM »

Was cub scout camping this weekend at meddard park in Plant city and brought the bikes. was not feeling so good yesterday afternoon so decided to pack up and leave. while backing up to get out of the camping area, the bikes bumped a low hanging branch I did not see, and shattered the glass of the window of the hatch of my Ford Flex :o ... Had to get the wife to come out and get the bikes, and know have to see about getting the glass replaced.... now need to get a hitch mount to avoid this again.. :( >:( ::) :'( :-[

And yes, the bikes were OK thank God!

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2009, 10:38:00 AM »
That wet blacktop will get you every time ;)

Where exactly did you take a spill at?  All the wood out there is very, very slick when wet so it is best to take it extra easy on that or just avoid it.

I opted to skip the trails this weekend to give them a chance to dry and just did a local paved trail and it was slick as well.

I have a set of Time pedals and cleats in a box sitting in my bag for you whenever we meet up next.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »
You tried the gap drop catman?
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2009, 11:46:22 AM »
[/don]

Online BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2009, 01:41:30 PM »

I hear Catman has an Intense ;)
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2009, 04:48:34 PM »
Karma.

Perfect weather for trail work?  No camelbak's left behind?  No one ate too many bratwurst's?
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 05:51:48 PM »
Hate to hear that Darrin. One of the guys who went yesterday had his wife back up his truck w/trailer a few days earlier and when he went out to go to work the next day he found the bed of his truck crushed in as well as his bumper/tongue all jacked up. $300 to get a dent guy just to make it look ok from a distance. Locked his keys in the same truck as well so youtubed how to break into it via the rear sliding window...........busted the window almost immediately even though youtube said it was super simple and only took a few minutes.

I'm gonna head out to Alafia and make sure none of you trail work nazi's set any traps for me! I'm picturing claws attached to servo's which are being controlled from  tree mounted cameras from a remote hideout somewhere in Lakeland.

No gap drop Krunnch. The boardwalk next to the wooden bench just above the Votex pit. The one that's like 3-4 feet off the ground. :50 count
Friend of mine who I'm competitive with did it, there were girls watching........do I need to say more. CamelBak provided a nice cushion cause I landed flat on my back.

:50 count. Shows boardwalk, not me crashing.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 05:54:43 PM »

I hear Catman has an Intense ;)

Intense isn't up and running yet. I'm waiting for someone to offer a 1x9 Frankenconversion to me for all the trail work I've done.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 05:56:58 PM by catman »

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2009, 06:10:02 PM »

OUCH!!! that's why i dont believe in Bike Racks! The last 3 SUV's that i've bought would have been deal brakers if the seats didnt fold down and dissappear so i could get my MTBs in.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 06:25:10 PM »
I used to load bikes in the back of my Explorer but it was such a pain. Saw people loading three bikes in the back of an SUV the other day and made me happy I went with a pick up truck.

I have forgotten my front wheel at home though cause you have to take it off to mount the bike to the truck.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 06:30:07 PM »

problem solved. http://www.yakima.com/racks/bike-racks/product/8002433/holdup-(2-receivers-only).aspx
load and unoad bikes in a matter of seconds.
[/don]

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2009, 07:07:04 PM »
I'm gonna head out to Alafia and make sure none of you trail work nazi's set any traps for me! I'm picturing claws attached to servo's which are being controlled from  tree mounted cameras from a remote hideout somewhere in Lakeland.

Jonesy and I checked the traps while at Alafia today.  They're still set and haven't been accidentally sprung.  ;D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Advertisement: