Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: What is best travel case.  (Read 1409 times)

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
What is best travel case.
« on: June 08, 2009, 12:22:18 PM »
What is the best travel case for airline travel?
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: What is best travel case.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 12:37:15 PM »
which ever one you decide on, you're better off sending it FexEx Ground, airline prices are rediculous and you'll pay airline overweight anyhow cause most cases are very heavy empty.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 12:48:21 PM »
I have a Trico Sports Ironcase (http://www.tricosports.com/Site/Products.html) and I love it.  It can hold pretty much whatever you want to put in it and give you room to pack all your other bike-related stuff as well (clothes, pads, tools, etc).  For smaller bikes, all you have to do is remove the wheels, pedals, and handlebar but for larger bikes, you may have to drop the fork and/or rear shock to get it to fit, but they always fit.

I would also 2nd what ProEdge said - if you can, just ship it ahead of time via FedEx (call up a local shop ahead of time and they typically are more than happy to accept the package) - it will save you a bunch of money and give you better insurance in case something were to happen.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 12:51:43 PM »
My only concern is if we fly for something like a three or four day weekend we may arrive to find no bike. Can you imagine flying to whistler or moab or something and your bike shows up late or not at all. I'm not the crying type but... :'(
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 12:55:35 PM »
That is why you ship a week to 1.5 weeks ahead of time (and why you have multiple bikes).  Flying with a bike just sucks.  It is a pain to wheel the case around the airport and they rape you without lube on the fees.  Back in the day, you could just tip the skycaps outside $20 and they would check the bike box in for you without issues, but that just doesn't work these days.

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »
That is why you ship a week to 1.5 weeks ahead of time (and why you have multiple bikes).  Flying with a bike just sucks.  It is a pain to wheel the case around the airport and they rape you without lube on the fees.  Back in the day, you could just tip the skycaps outside $20 and they would check the bike box in for you without issues, but that just doesn't work these days.

I will submit this to Rachel as further evidence to support my need for multiple bikes.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 01:27:48 PM »

I will submit this to Rachel as further evidence to support my need for multiple bikes.

Oh yeah, you need to have the multiple bikes before having a SO and then you are golden as long as you don't increase the number of bikes as they can never tell them apart ;)

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 02:02:37 PM »
If you guys ever need some temporary shipping needs let me know. I design and make corrugated packaging for a living, including bike box's and foam inserts.
Corrugated is really only good for one or two trips, so not so good for travelling around.......
So any SWAMPers that need help just let me know, as long as its for personal use...any commercial needs and it becomes a different conversation!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Advertisement: