Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Calling all Specialized Enduro owners  (Read 3397 times)

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Calling all Specialized Enduro owners
« on: June 10, 2009, 07:47:57 AM »
My friends 2006 Specialized Enduro is in my garage for repair. Fixed a number of issues but one is giving me a problem. The bike came with a single chainring set up but also included everything to make it a triple (from the manufacturer I think). He wanted to ride the  bike in the mountains so he had the LBS set it up for triple. I stored the bike at my house for months and each time I'd clean the chain and what not I noticed it wouldn't shift to the little chainring while on the stand. It did much better while riding but certainly wasn't working properly. I left it alone and told him to have the LBS fix it under warranty. He never cared enough to have them check it out and here it is almost a year later and it is still doing the same thing. I set it at the right clamp height/cage alignment and tried all positions on the limit screws. The bottom bracket shell is 73mm and it has an external bearing bottom bracket so I don't think any spacers are required.

Any Enduro owners have the same issue? Do you have any spacers on you BB? Any ideas?

Sorry about the long story but was trying to answer all questions ahead of time.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Luis

Re: Calling all Specialized Enduro owners
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 08:15:42 AM »
Quick question: If you release all cable tension does the chain drop to the granny? 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 09:07:25 AM by Garry »

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:43:57 AM »
Yup, checked that yesterday and found with the cable slack it won't pull the chain back far enough. Had the same issue on one of my bikes and it ended up having the wrong spindle length on the BB. Put a longer bb on it and works like a dream now. This has the external bearing type where chainline can only be adjusted via cup spacers. I just haven't had any experience with full sized bb shells as my Giants have the smaller bb shell. Seems like if I try to space out this type of bb it will cause the orings on the cross over tube/shield to not seat and therefore leave the bearing cups exposed. If you have a fat seat tube (34.9 clamp size) it can make it difficult or impossible for the derailleur to pull back far enough. Spindle length or spacers can take care of this.

Hell, I might just save the headache and take down to the LBS for a diagnosis. Sometimes I waste so much time researching and troubleshooting when the LBS could possibly take one look at it and say "oh yeah, it needs one of these thingamajiggies".

Offline Big Hooper

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: SIR9. One bike, one gear
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 11:12:50 AM »
not sure if they have the same size BB shell,but i had to add a shim for the external shell when i swapped cranks from Truvative to Shimano XT. Since this was my first foray into bike wrenching , Im not sure if this will help.

This is on my Stumpjumper
wherever you go.....there you are.
Just a big Hooper!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 11:50:20 AM »
This may help if you only had to add one spacer. If you had the small shell size you'd most likely would have had to add two to the drive side and one to non-drive as per Shimano's instructions.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 01:26:50 PM »
How much time have you spent trying to solve this issue?  Take it to the LBS.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 03:17:01 PM »
Less than 15 min on this particular issue so far. You know how it is, don't want a freaking bicycle to kick my ass. If I trick myself into thinking that I just don't feel like fixing it maybe that will ease the pain of giving up. ;D   I had the LBS wrap my road bike bars not long ago cause I just didnt even want to deal with it.

Kinda like telling one of the guys you work with to take their lawn mower to the shop for repairs.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 05:53:24 PM »
sounds to me like the derailleur is too low or possibly rotated in relation to the chainrings. (if the limit screws and cable tension is set properly)
[/don]

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 08:11:18 PM »
Tried different clamp positions (previous shop had it set like three pennies gap instead of one) and alignments to the outer ring. Played with limit screws and tightened up cable tension. No luck. I've installed and adjusted probably 20-30 front derailleurs so I know it's not an adjustment issue. The derailleur won't pull the chain far enough.Something is screwy here and my guess is chainline right now.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 08:52:56 PM »
have you tried adjusting the derailleur with the rear suspension sagged? I know on my prophet if you adjust the FD with the rear suspension topped out it won't work worth a crap on the trail.
[/don]

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 09:51:43 PM »
Great idea and I had thought of it but lost interest due to working on the frankenbike.  I tried to adjust the derailleur on one of my bikes with the shock removed and that doesn't work worth a crap.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 10:05:20 PM »
if it has an air shock, what about taking the air out and placing something non-maring between the seat tube and rear linkage to simulate sag?
[/don]

Offline silentneko

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 01:39:50 PM »
just take the FD off, no one really needs it any way!

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 02:19:31 PM »
Catman uses a FD....haha. You now have to forfeit your Intense. Your crazy 'Free-rider' man card is being revoked until further notice.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 02:42:03 PM »
Can't call myself a free rider until I do the Santos gap  :'(

Advertisement: