Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Black Widow Spiders  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
Black Widow Spiders
« on: June 10, 2009, 07:58:29 PM »
Over the past week I have killed SIX black widow spiders on my back porch (four big full grown femals, one medium sized female, and one small male and/or very young female).  I also found a couple egg sacks (I destroyed them as well).  What is the best way to get rid of these things?  Do I just keep killing them as I see them and hope they don't come back...or is there something better out there?

My back porch isn't full of bugs or anything.  I've lived in this townhome for about four years and never had this issue before.  I'm dumbfounded why they suddenly decided to setup their webs to catch prey here. 

On a side note...spiders and I don't get along.  I've been known to scream like a little girl and ghostride my bike into a tree as a result of running through a fully loaded web on the trail.  Are spiders attracted to fear? 

Offline TN1978

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • 09 Rockhopper Comp Disc
Re: Black Widow Spiders
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 08:40:56 PM »
with the exception of the hour glass males look nothing like the females and are not poisonous. as far as getting rid of them i say kill them all
It's all fun & games until someone gets hurt then it's hillarious

Offline MBruns

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 08:43:48 PM »
The bug smoke bomb type units work well, I had a shop that was red iron and it had alot of BW spiders, the bombs that you pour a little water into and leave, in the morning all kinds of dead ones !
Mike
A 'good' ride is one that you can walk away. A'great' ride is one after which you can use the bike again.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 08:51:46 PM »
I've been known to scream like a little girl and ghostride my bike into a tree as a result of running through a fully loaded web on the trail.  Are spiders attracted to fear?

LOL, that's funny.  So I'm guessing you're not the first guy down the trail at 8 in the morning?
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline TN1978

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 09:06:07 PM »
whats real fun is when your in the woods turkey hunting and walk face first into a big banana spider web and it crawls across your neck :o

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 09:19:46 PM »
On a side note...spiders and I don't get along.  I've been known to scream like a little girl and ghostride my bike into a tree as a result of running through a fully loaded web on the trail.  Are spiders attracted to fear?

Yeah, a early morning ride or two will cure that for you... you get used to the webs hitting you in the face after about the 1st 4 or 5...

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 08:50:38 AM »
Are you sure they're black widows? I know the species are web builders but I've personally never seen one out in the open. There are a couple of pretty similiar looking species around that I see out in the open pretty frequently that make me do double-takes. There's a dark brown one of similar size and shape that has orange spots that I see all the time which seems to like building very prominent webs in the corners of concrete structures. All the true black widows I've see are always tucked up inside something or atleast tight into a secluded corner. Maybe it's just because I open a lot of j-boxes doing my work but they seem to like electrical junction boxes and splice cans as that's where I've seen 95% percent of all the ones I've ever seen.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:54:08 AM by ClintonRH »

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 10:12:34 AM »
Definately back widows. They were black with the red hourglass (I gave them all a real close look before saturating them with Raid).

Funny/sad thing about my trail ride spider experiences is that I'm always out early enough to be one of the first. I'm fine with the empty webs...it is the ones with the big, harmless spiders that catch a ride on my face that freak me out. I think it is more of the suprise of a huge spider on me that freaks me out...I'm really not freaked out with spiders that don't invade my personal space.

Offline TN1978

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 10:40:22 AM »
those big ones are banana spiders. really creepy

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 10:42:45 AM »
Any pics>? more than likely it was a Brown Widow

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »
Alan
I use Demon WP you get at your pesticide general store. they are hard to kill they don`t clean themselves so when they walk thru the poison it does not kill them, So you have to kill off there food source. you mix one packet to one gal of water and put in a pump sprayer.. good luck with that.

Bill

PS always let the nebe be the first one down the trail ;D
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 01:14:58 PM by Paintboy »

Advertisement: