Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Helmets on the trails  (Read 3080 times)

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
Helmets on the trails
« on: January 08, 2007, 08:03:12 AM »
  It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that insist on riding without helmets, even where it's posted that they are mandatory. Unfortunately, they are the ones that get hurt and pull out the attorney card, sue somebody and the trails get closed. There's a guy that I know up the that rides just road bikes  and lets his 7 year old girl ride all the time without a helmet. I mentioned it to him and he said she just rides up and down the street. There's not that much traffic on the street but most of the drivers don't pay attention too much, even to a little 7 year old which is unpredictable. He should know better as a roadie as a flat can put you down immediately, I just hope nothing happens to her. I wear mine most of the time with the exceptions being right after servicing the bike and checking adjustments. That even bit me in the butt one day! I was riding in the street in front of the house after working on the bike. The kids were playing basketball and here comes me with no shirt, shorts and clip-flops on. Rode by, grabbed the ball and started dribbling while riding with no hands ( should have known better ), the ball got behind me a little and as I twisted to get the ball forward I went down. Not very fast, 10mph or less, on my left side still clipped in sliding along on my shoulder and head. I could hear my hair shredding off along the pavement. All in all I wasn't hurt bad, but it scared my Daughter, and I had alittle road rash and thin spot on the side of my head. Never did come unclipped, and of course the first thing I did when I got up was to see if anyone was watching. How embarrasing, should've known better!

Ken
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 03:06:17 PM by Forum Manager »
If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: Helmets on the trails
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 04:57:45 PM »
Yessir, I saw a bunch of rooks with-out helmets at the Alafia on Sunday afternoon. I also saw alot of family activity and they all had helmets. Good for them! Lots of family stuff going on, good to see.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 05:17:15 PM »
 I don't let any of my four kids (yes ,I know what causes them ) ride without helmets and the proper equipment. Trust me, I'm not the straight laced person that sounds like, but when we started having kids i made myself a promise that I would do everything possible to keep them from becoming one of those statistics that you read about in the paper or see on tv. They all ride and only the 7 yr. old isn't riding clips. It is nice to see the family stuff going on.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 05:27:49 PM »
There is a joke here somewhere........But seriously folks, I insist that my 11 year old wear a helmet even when he is riding around the neighborhood. Besides it being smart, it is the state law that kids under 16 must wear a helmet while riding a bike.

I kept a picture of my helmet that I was wearing about a year and a half ago, when I broke my left clavicle. If I had not been wearing the thing I would be sitting in a hospital be somewhere sipping jello through a straw. I use it when ever my boy tries to ride without his helmet.

Gregg (is that my real name?)

Offline Forum Manager

• Administrator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Use the big ring!
    • SWAMP Mountain Bike Club
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 08:08:20 AM »
I find that most riders without helmets think "I am too good to crash"

Clearly a case of what you don't know can hurt you.

I have seen some really, really good riders hit their helmet on something and keep riding.  The ride, and possibly more, would have been over without a helmet.

Forum Manager

(Yes, that is my real name

NOT)
Are you a SWAMP Mountain Bike Club member? Ride Guide?
If so, use the Personal Message link to the left, under my name, to send me a PM about upgrading your forum account to SWAMPer or Ride Guide!
Please remember to include your first and last name and when or how you joined SWAMP.

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 08:19:37 AM »
Heck, I always thought if you weren't crashing you weren't riding hard enough! :P

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 10:17:14 AM »
After all of this talk about helmets, I took some time to inspect mine, I had been wearing it for about a year, and it really had been through the wringer with me. I decided to replace it  yestarday with a brand new one.

Ken, I am with you, if you don't have at least one scratch, then you didn't challenge your skills enough!

Offline CrazyWhiteGuy

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Caution: May cause temporary blindness
  • Favorite Trail: The kind you ride a bike on.
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek RumbleFish
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2007, 06:47:45 PM »
Yeah, 3 concussions so far and I had a helmet on for all of them. I dont ride off road without one anymore. Ive learned my lesson, but hey, most guys my age dont even own a bike anymore.
Rolling on the RumbleFish

Offline Chief Dan

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 09:31:52 PM »
While riding Boyette, I have seen several who should have known that a helmet is just part of the bike.  Can we post a reminder sign at the entrance?  It could simply state, "Helmets Required while riding Boyette Trails, Going without is a notice to others that you don't care about your Head".  I believe all bikers should dress appropriately for what ever stunts they don't plan to perform.  Such as, "The Over the Handbar Launch", " The Not Ducking Low enough for low hanging objects Stunt, or "The Just Plain Falling Over Stunt".  While all of these stunts have and will continue to be performed, we would not be typing or reading this note today if it hadn't been for our helmets. 
When at Alafia, remind riders that loaner helmets are available at the Ranger Station. 
Chief Dan

Offline kinematic11

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2007, 10:06:21 PM »
i have cracked a 120 dollar helmet. dude, that is much less dough than the hospital bill would have been. it sucks replacing that helmet, but it feels good to be injury free. now, if i can just stop hitting trees and low hanging branches,   :>

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 08:15:41 AM »
just ordered a new helmet

new from fox racing

Offline Homer 2-Niner

• Hardtail Monkey
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • ride it rigid..
  • My Bike: ninER one9 rigid singleSPEED
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 08:45:18 AM »
NICE!! 

like the back how it covers your head more.. better noggin protection is a good thing!

-Bob  ;D
the world should ride a rigid singlespeed!

Offline Stumpjumper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 09:34:55 AM »
Nice helmet Jonathon.

Talking of people not wearing helmets, there were 2 guys riding Franks Loop on Saturday.  Insane ???
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Offline kinematic11

• SWAMP Club Member
  • First Bike
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 10:01:54 PM »
loke the helmet photo, how much did you pay?

dave

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 10:04:44 PM »
Nice! I've seen those on the trail and they look good.  ;D
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: