Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Repair Stand Suggestions??  (Read 1505 times)

Offline RKL

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Repair Stand Suggestions??
« on: June 11, 2009, 09:44:50 PM »
Father's Day's an excuse to get a repair stand so I can start working on my bikes myself.  What do folks have and like or not??

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
Re: Repair Stand Suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 10:26:27 PM »
I just bought a Feedback stand (formerly marketed as Ultimate). I think I got the Pro Classic version. Extremely stable and sturdy. Folds down real nice too. Clamp is a little slow to close compared to the Park style lever clamps but it's a very good clamp that can easily be operated with one hand while you hold up the bike with the other. I prefer the spin-down style clamp that comes on my stand to the lever that comes on the less expensive Park stands and some copy-cat competitor stands. The cheaper lever style clamps can easily crush tubes if not adjusted for the bike you're clamping though if you're picking up and putting down the same bike a lot they're much faster once adjusted. The self-adjusting levers that come on the really high-end Park stands are amazing but way too pricey for me.

edit: I think I set a new personal records for typos on this post. Any more that I've missed will just have to stay. I'm done.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 10:33:18 PM by ClintonRH »

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 08:00:38 AM »
I like this one. Quikie link, but you can get it for around 199.

http://www.ebikestop.com/tacx_cycle_spider_repair_stand-TL2008.php
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Offline J. Ryan

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:04:37 AM »
I made mine. I did a google search for homemade bike repair stand and found this site.

http://journals.neebu.net/khuon/archives/2005/May/homemade_bicycle_repair_stand-000517.html

It cost around $35 and a bit of my time.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »
Father's Day's an excuse to get a repair stand so I can start working on my bikes myself.  What do folks have and like or not??
FL,  I have a brand new stand for sale.  See details here:  http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php/topic,3954.msg37604.html#msg37604

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »
I have a park tool stand with an extension option and wheel truing set up.Not sure of the model but it is older and has legs that fold in towards each other so that it hangs flush on the wall when in storage.Make sure you get a stand that is tall enough to where you can stand up and work on the bike. Using a stool due to having a short stand gets old. Work smart not hard ;)
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-2010 CAAD9-4 Black
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 06:17:26 PM »
I got my park stand off of craigslist for like 60 bucks. Has the spring loaded clamp.

Advertisement: