Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Looks like we have some trail vandals  (Read 2364 times)

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Looks like we have some trail vandals
« on: June 14, 2009, 04:15:18 PM »
I'm quite sure no one here on the forum or affiliated with SWAMP is responsible for this, but I just wanted to put a heads up if anyone sees something that doesn't seem right.

Someone(s) has been taking trail signs, mangling signs, and altering trails at Boyette.  The "YOU ARE HERE" sign next to Big Drop, that was mostly there so an injured rider could be looking at the same map EMS has while talking to them in order to get to them more easily, has been taken - post and all!

The "ONE WAY DO NOT ENTER" signs on the Loch Nesses were mangled up.

The big rocks that John and I buried in the ridge on Baby Nessie were pulled out and rolled down the hill.  (they are dropping from there trying to go up the opposite direction).

For whatever reason these people decided this is fun.

There is a Sheriff Deputy who patrols this parking lot and surrounding area.  I will be alerting him and the land manager of this action.  If I happen to get an anonymous license tag number it would likely find it's way to the proper authorities.
 ::)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 04:19:50 PM by Garry »

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: Looks like we have some trail vandals
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 04:19:01 PM »
Banned wording morons.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 04:23:27 PM »
Wonder who all has access to the gate? Carrying a sign with post attached sounds like the work of someone on four wheels not two. I've seen 4x4 trucks out there a few times a while back and you know how some guys who happen to drive 4x4's feel about spandex wearing cyclist. At least I've heard how they feel about roadies in no uncertain terms.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »
Gary,
I first saw the new gate this Saturday.  Is there any way we can make it smaller?  I can see an ATV enter through there easily.  The people living on the property are not always there.  They also pretty much keep themselves anyways.

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 04:29:26 PM »
Gary,
I first saw the new gate this Saturday.  Is there any way we can make it smaller?  I can see an ATV enter through there easily.  The people living on the property are not always there.  They also pretty much keep themselves anyways.
Good idea.  I'll look into it.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:40:39 PM »
While we're on that subject.This is a nature preserve right? Bikers and hikers are out there to enjoy the beauty that nature has to offer. Why is the on site home alowed to remain so trashy?

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 05:31:07 PM »
Oh dont you just love it when school gets out and the teenagers have nothing to do but get in trouble???

Offline old gray goat

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Dudes Ride club
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 05:41:32 PM »
They don't call it trailer trash for no reason. But any way there must be a way there getting in. Did you see truck tracks in the area by the vandalism?
there's no way you can`t stop dirt bikes for getting in. it`s hard to believe that nobody has seen or heard something with all the mountain bike traffic going on there. I doubt there doing it in the dark. We might have to close up the entrance up tight and lift our bikes over the gate.. It will give the weight weenies something to talk about..

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 05:45:38 PM »
My buddies and i saw the One Way Only signs on the ground today and thought it was odd, but then we thought it might be that way due to the huge group ride taking place.. F***ing Scum balls gotta ruin everything...

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 05:48:41 PM »
I am sure it is happening during the week when there is very little traffic out there (see post about school being out..). I would bet the missing sign and post were thrown in the weeds instead of brought out. Vandals do things just to destroy....

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
Re: Looks like we have some trail vandals +1
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 06:18:48 PM »
We might have to close up the entrance up tight and lift our bikes over the gate.. It will give the weight weenies something to talk about..
Doh! I can't lift it, it's too heavy....Hah!  One handed, hey ya'll - watch this.  Always a great way to start great story.  ;D

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
That sucks!  Hopefully whoever is doing this will get caught.  Sounds to me like some little kiddies are bored during the summer break!  Anytime I have seen a sign falling over or on the ground I have always tried to pick it back up and place it appropriately (have done this several times at alafia).

DIRTBAGS!
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline hcsorider

• Huffy Rider
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 06:55:14 PM »
Is there a back entrance to the trals, i saw a silver 4x4 truck parked by the lake just before you get to spiderberm. it was off in the woods alittle this was on friday mourning. oh yea and the gate was locked i am a deputy and i will keep my eye out from now on.
RIDE HARD OR GO HOME.

Offline firebiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 07:17:51 PM »
Is there a back entrance to the trals, i saw a silver 4x4 truck parked by the lake just before you get to spiderberm. it was off in the woods alittle this was on friday mourning. oh yea and the gate was locked i am a deputy and i will keep my eye out from now on.

I was gonna ask if they could be coming in the back way. I haven't seen the new gate yet. What kind is it? Is it designed for just horse, bike and hikers? If so I'd suggest putting a 2x6 toward the bottom. That keeps ATV's out but hikers, horses and riders can just walk over it. Either that or off set the walkthough so its still wide but ATV's can't fit as easily. No matter what you do though the punks will get in if they want to.
My bike is more than a toy; it's my vessel.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 07:27:20 PM »
It is a walk through about three feet wide to the left of the main gate. Probably just wide enough for a four wheeler. Could easily sink a large post in on both sides of the walk through. You'd just have to walk your bike by them as was mentioned. Four wheelers would find the 2x6 a welcoming challenge.

Advertisement: