Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: JUICY 5 BREAK IN PERIOD AND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN XT & SLX SHIFTERS  (Read 1120 times)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
Ive had my bike about a month now, 5 trips to alafia and boyette and about 10 road rides and I feel that my front brakes are not as powerful as my 2000 xtr lever/avid v brake combo. I would think they would be capable at least a 2 finger endo. I doubt the need to be bled.  Feel free to chime in , Am I past my break-in period and is this  the best im going to get ?
also...

When I first got the bike I was dissapointed with the shifting. Not that the shimano SLX were not good but not up to par with my (bought in the year 2000) xtr shifters I had on my last trek 8000 that was stolen.
I asked around a few forums before I knew about the swamp club ( which is cool to have because I am a local guy ) if It was worth upgrading.
Most if not all said It wasnt worth the money. Well they were wrong. I have so much more control of which gear I am in and the added confidence in changing gears on an incline. Shifts are so quick its like comparing a Mustang manual stick to a Nissan GTR paddle shifter. (ive driven both)
This brings me to ask if any wants a pair of brand new SLX shifters that have never been off-road. The come with all the unused XT cable housing and rubber pieces that seal the housing by the rear deraileur as I kept the original housing that came with the bike  $60.00 . They are $99.00 online before shipping and even more at the LBS..Valrico area, pm me

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
Re: JUICY 5 BREAK IN PERIOD AND THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN XT & SLX SHIFTERS
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:59:58 PM »
Maybe they have sintered pads (longer life) and due to your riding style you need organic (short life but sticky).
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 10:05:52 PM »
In my opinion you have to go up a few levels to experience a decent shift quality improvement. I've been hard pressed to notice much difference between LX and XT. XTR better be the s$$$ for what they get for them.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 07:44:53 AM by Garry »
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 10:47:37 PM »
In my opinion you have to go up a few levels to experience a decent shift quality improvement. I've been hard pressed to notice much difference between LX and XT. XTR better be the sh$t for what they get for them.
To me the diference between SLX and XT is that on SLX seems to ratchet up to the next gear ( up the cassette )  meaning you got to push it past a click and then it snaps back to the detent where it rest where as the XT snaps directly to the detent and vise versa when going down the cassette it simple falls off the detent rather than ratcheting off the detent. Even by the sound of the shifts they seen to snap rather then click-click. Even though all the 9 speeds have the same gear spacing the shifter seems to pull more cable and being off adjustment doesnt upset it as much as the SLX

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 11:01:10 PM »
After following your link to you tube, I watched the clips XTR versus X.0. and X.5. versus Deore. Like the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, or in this case a side by side video comparison.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 11:20:12 PM »
After following your link to you tube, I watched the clips XTR versus X.0. and X.5. versus Deore. Like the old saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words, or in this case a side by side video comparison.
Interesting as if they have a stronger spring on the X.O.. As long as the pulley closest to the cassette doesnt move laterally (err) it shouldnt effect shifting. Back when I first got into mtb's back in the early to mid 1990's there wasnt any alternitive to shimano. My last bike purchase was in 1999 and I'd still be riding it if it didnt get stolen. Im not a shimano fanboy but thats all ive ever riden.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 08:07:28 AM »
The Sram springs are stiffer which keeps the lower cage from swinging as much as the Shimano products, The big difference is the design of the P-Nuckle, looking at the video you can see the Sram derailer body does not swing forward because by design it can't, the Shimano will pivot back and forth leading to more severe chain slap and the need for that little rubber wrap they install to deaden the hit on your chainstays :'(

Advertisement: