Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: San Felasco  (Read 2011 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
San Felasco
« on: January 12, 2007, 04:10:24 PM »
See you after I ride 50 miles! Bonus!!!!! National Champion celebration in Gainesville this week-end!!!!
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
Re: San Felasco
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 09:15:30 AM »
Great ride !  Great event!  Great trails ! Great food ! Great weather ! Have I mentioned that it was frickin' GREAT !!!  ;D    My computer logged 51.4 miles.  We averaged 10.7 miles per hour, I maxed at 25.8 mph, and had 4.30 minutes of ride time. Total time for the ride was over 6 hours as we had some problems with the Idster as me and the Original Elsrider had to wait a very long time for him at a sag stop and he never showed up. We figured he either bailed or made a wrong turn and got lost. The trails were very well marked but the Idater claims he was looking down at his chain an missed a turn off a service road and continued straight. He made a long loop around and ended up doing an additional 16 miles, ending up with an incredible 67 mile long ride which he averaged the same 10.7 mph. When he finally showed up at the parking lot, he was mad at us for not waiting. Yeah right !!  Strong showing for the Idster but what a knucklehead  for getting off track!  The trails were smooth as a tobaggon run and flowed like cold beer coming from the tap, more and more and more of it.  Most of it was big ring and there were some challenging climbs, especialy the power line hill at around the 30 mile mark. Long, long, long and pretty steep. Beautiful place to ride, great for the beginners as the trails are not very technical but they do have some hills so be prepared for the climbs. I wish I was doing the other  epic events.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 02:17:29 PM »
Most of it was big ring and there were some challenging climbs, especialy the power line hill at around the 30 mile mark. Long, long, long and pretty steep. Beautiful place to ride, great for the beginners as the trails are not very technical but they do have some hills so be prepared for the climbs. I wish I was doing the other  epic events.

So did you climb that hill all of the way?  No walking? No dabing, right?  Cranked my way all the way up to the top.  Some dude was pushing his bike.  That almost looked harder.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2007, 04:31:19 PM »
Proud to say I made it all the way!  Idster climbed it twice because of his mis-route. He said that people were dying on that hill the second time he climbed it. When we did it  everybody seemed to make it, although honestly my head was down and I was just spinning and I spun for a while once on top. That was a one scary monster! We were in the woods on single  track, exit the woods and complete a sweeping turn and it drops you right at the base of this huge hill. Did not see it coming at all. I think everybody was saying " Oh #$%^&". 
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 11:06:04 PM »
I had fun up there. I think my computer showed around 52 miles, but they are all off a little bit. First time I've ever done anything like that, did it with a group of freinds. Slowed us down some at the SAG's, but made for a more freindly ride.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 06:07:32 AM »
I agree Slow. Without the sags I don't know what would have happened. Maybe I could have finished but either way with the sags, afterwards I didn't feel too bad. I would still be hurtin' if there weren't any sag stops. Going straight thru is for the experts and endurance riders.
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 06:57:47 PM »
I think I should have eaten more at the SAG's. I started cramping around 41 miles, something I have been trying to figure out for awhile now. It is weird though, the faster I spin the worse I cramp. If I start pushing a big gear it helps. I'm gonna try to concentrate on eating more during the ride and see what happens.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2007, 07:07:43 PM »
I think I should have eaten more at the SAG's. I started cramping around 41 miles, something I have been trying to figure out for awhile now. It is weird though, the faster I spin the worse I cramp. If I start pushing a big gear it helps. I'm gonna try to concentrate on eating more during the ride and see what happens.

Be sure to get electrolytes in you and maybe even salt tablets to avoid cramping.  Drinking water is good, but in an endurance event water only goes so far.  Take full advantage of the bananas, chocolates, and gatorade they offer.  I drink my water on the trail and at the SAGS pick and choose what my body needs.
Also pick gears that are easy to spin, not mashing the pedals.  A quicker easier cadence can help avoid cramping.  That doesn't mean you still can't cramp.  Just pay attention to your body - fuel up a couple of days before, during, and within 30 to 40 minutes after.  I went to the Italian place just down the road and inhailed a calzone and two iced teas.  I was happy.  Legs were sore, but I was happy.  :-)

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2007, 08:13:10 PM »

Be sure to get electrolytes in you and maybe even salt tablets to avoid cramping.  Drinking water is good, but in an endurance event water only goes so far.  Take full advantage of the bananas, chocolates, and gatorade they offer.  I drink my water on the trail and at the SAGS pick and choose what my body needs.
Also pick gears that are easy to spin, not mashing the pedals.  A quicker easier cadence can help avoid cramping.  That doesn't mean you still can't cramp.  Just pay attention to your body - fuel up a couple of days before, during, and within 30 to 40 minutes after.  I went to the Italian place just down the road and inhailed a calzone and two iced teas.  I was happy.  Legs were sore, but I was happy.  :-)

That Italian place is incredible! We had dinner there Friday night, what great food. I'm pretty sure it isn't a hydration issue. I did 6 endurolytes, 2 just before and the other 4 during. Plus over 100 ounces of water and 3 water bottles of gatorade, plus whatever I grabbed at the SAG's. I'm gonna do some experimenting with food to see if it helps. I'm a masher though. I've tried to spin, but I end up in worse shape. I'm just wierd like that though, there is a trend.

Advertisement: