Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: What to eat the night before a race  (Read 3011 times)

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
    • http://www.myspace.com/keno442
What to eat the night before a race
« on: January 12, 2007, 06:08:03 PM »
Hey guys,
   I was just wondering if anyone out there had a few good suggestions on what to eat the night before a race? I have a Cyclocross race series starting this Sunday. I know the carb loading plan but was looking for some food ideas. The pasta standard has always worked for me . Any new Ideas?
                                     Ken

If you don't crash occassionaly, you're not riding hard enough!!

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
Re: What to eat the night before a race
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 07:06:53 PM »
I don't have suggestions but I am curious on where those cyclocross races are held.  Any chance to go espectate some of those?  Is there a website with pic and calendar/locations?  Thanks...

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2007, 09:20:23 AM »
They are being held at the Largo Nature center for the 1st, 3rd, and 4th races, just behind the intersection of Highland Ave. and East Bay Dr. It's in between the golf driving range and the old Winn Dixie(now closed) down the little road to the south. You can find out more at the Chainwheel Drive website (chainwheeldrive.com) about the divisions, start times, and locations. Once your in the website click on cyclocross series in the column on the left. THey have all the info and some pictures in there also. The second race is being held at Walsingham Park off of 102nd Ave. You can access 102nd from Clearwater/Largo road. The race courses consist of mostly grass, some pavement, and obsticales (Tree logs, Wooden board planks placed vertically so you have to dismount, run and hurdle them and remount, a hill you'll have to run up at the 2nd race, some mud and water), nothing technical like Alafia. Just alot of grunt and groan along with some cross specific skills for  dismounting, remounting and carring of your bike. Mountain bikes work, some ride single speeds, and quite a few ride cyclocross bikes which are like a road bike but with narrow knobby tires or semi -slicks, though the bikes are a hair longer and not so twitchy as a road bike with chainrings (usually 2) bigger than a MTB, but smaller than a road bike for the terrain. There is a section on the Chainwheel website that gives instructions on the different cross skills. There is also a 3 minute video on youtube if you type in Citrus City Cyclocross Race. It's a fun, but grueling race and everyone  is nice and supportive no matter what class your in (old and slow for me), like most MTB races. They have classes for everyone from 6-8, 9-11,12-14,16-18,Womens beginner, sport and expert 1-4, Mens A/Exp 1-2,B sport/3-4, C beg.5, Mens 35-44, and Mens 45+.   

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 10:11:00 PM »
Hey guys,
   I was just wondering if anyone out there had a few good suggestions on what to eat the night before a race? I have a Cyclocross race series starting this Sunday. I know the carb loading plan but was looking for some food ideas. The pasta standard has always worked for me . Any new Ideas?
                                     Ken

Eat something easy to digest and with protien.  Scrammbled eggs with a slice of motzarella cheese on top, whole wheat toast, O.J. and if you like coffee go for it.  Have some mixed fruit with your breakfast too.  The natural sugars will help give you a boost as well.  If you're traveling an hour or so to the trail have a dozen saltines and a big water on the way just to keep you fueled.  Believe it or not it takes the energy you benefit from the crackers just to drive an hour.  Then you should be sufficiently fueled to take on the course.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 10:42:05 PM »
Got a tip on what to eat after the ride tonight. I ran into Wes and Marty at Mel's Hot Dogs. Apparently that is a prefered after ride snack.

Gregg

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2007, 07:47:30 AM »
Got a tip on what to eat after the ride tonight. I ran into Wes and Marty at Mel's Hot Dogs. Apparently that is a prefered after ride snack.

Gregg

???

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2007, 09:35:44 AM »
Good luck and enjoy!  Me and the gebroni's loaded up with  an all you can eat Sonny's Bar B Q rib before the San Felasco. I would not recommend that. I'm beginning to believe that start loading up 2 days before the race so your body has the stored energy as well. In my infancy race experience I am still learning but I think it might be the way to go. Go with  the carbs ( pasta and sauces) and light protein. For me, the beef sits  heavy in the gut and the body consumes energy to digest it. I also like the idea of a beer or two the night before the race and if you have a late start race day, have a (heavy, dark) beer before the race. The things you gots to do to be a racer!  Nice day for a race!
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Ken

• Swampster
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Ride On!!!
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
Thanks Guys,
    All good info! I especially like the BBQ idea but I tend to eat too much ribs. The beer's not bad either. The pasta worked pretty well for me today and a trainer told me to start hydrating in the early evening the night before, even told me he wanted me to have to go to the bathroom 3 times during the night! I think he meant water notbeer though! I ended up staying up a little late changing a shifter cable and putting on a new chain on my oldest daughter's bike.  The Chainwheel Drive Family team did fairly well today. My 7 yr. old took first in the 6-8 yr.old class, the10 yr.old son took 3RD in the 9-11, my 12 yr. old took 3RD in the 12-14 class and Dad finished somewhere around the middle of the 45+ class. Not as good as I would haved liked but I didn't finish last and actually lapped three people. My overall average speed was up a little under 2 MPH and I felt stronger also. Thanks again everyone for the info! We're riding again tomorrow to kept training for next Sundays race.   

Offline Garry

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 08:15:26 PM »
Drink till you pee one or two days before a race or endurance event is good advice.  Pasta, protien, and good sleep just before is essential also.

Advertisement: