Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: O/T Selling safe on craigslist  (Read 2651 times)

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
O/T Selling safe on craigslist
« on: June 20, 2009, 10:28:23 PM »
Does anyone have any advice for safely selling an expensive item to someone in california with out getting scammed? Have had my vintage motorcycle listed and have a guy interested, but the thought of losing it to a scammer may make me not take the deal. I figure it must be like selling a bike which I am sure some of you have done. How can I be protected? The fact that the buyer does not seem to be leary of the deal for the same reason is a red flag in it self. But I would really like to close this deal!

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-2010 CAAD9-4 Black
Re: O/T Selling safe on craigslist
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:12:01 AM »
Craigslist if full of scammers. Get payment in full. I would accept paypal, plus 5% for the paypal fees. Dont ship anything till the payment is cleared and in your account. Dont accept money orders ever. If he seems a little to willing to close the deal without asking to many questions about the item stay away. I only deal locally on craigslist and use ebay for everything else.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 01:20:18 PM »
+1
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Kevin Bennett

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Space Ghost
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »
I am in a similar situation.  Selling expensive frame, but am afraid of not selling local.  I have a PayPal acct.  Does that mean I can get paid thru it?  If so, I guess I can follow your advice and wait for payment, then ship.  Correct?  Thanks.
God is great, beer is good, people are crazy!

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
I would accept a money order but only if there's an understanding that you're going to sit on it a few days before shipping. Many money orders and cashiers checks have phone numbers you can call to verify the authenticity. Might not be advertised on the check but the service is usually there.

Offline luckynumber9

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 03:40:19 PM »
as a seller I would take paypal or money order and wait till the money order is cashed or money shows in paypal.  as a buyer though I would make you  list it on ebay for my sake.  I once bought a frame through mtbr classifieds, paid via paypal on a saturday, called the guy on sunday to make sure he got the $$ and all was well. he didn't answer and I paniced and read the paypal user agreement, and basically theres no security for any transaction outside of ebay.  Luckily the guy called me later sunday and shipped it the next day and I got my frame in a few days.  But after a few hours of panic I will never buy outside of ebay.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 03:54:18 PM »
I have also listed items on Ebay for someone who contacts me about a Craigslist ad. Typically they are cool about it unless of course they are trying to rip you off. Sometimes people run to Craigslist cause they have been kicked off of Ebay.

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-2010 CAAD9-4 Black
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 05:36:05 PM »
My wife works at a bank and money orders to me are a no no. They get fake ones a lot from craigslist deals. So if you get one wait for it to clear, dont cash it. The deposit will show but wont clear for about a week through the other end. So within a week it could come back bad. Make sure the buyer knows you are going to wait for it to clear. The only one i would trust is the one from the post office. Even still they get good fakes and bad fakes. Some you can tell clearly there made at home, some look damm good. Pretty much anyone willing to buy something with a high price tag will have paypal or can sign up for paypal.

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2009, 06:06:27 PM »
So , in your opinion pay pal is an okay option? I have read all the stories about people disputing the terms after the fact and paypal taking the money out of your account and giving it back to the buyer.  Is this not a realistic possibility?

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2009, 06:13:34 PM »
Cash only  ;D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »
So , in your opinion pay pal is an okay option? I have read all the stories about people disputing the terms after the fact and paypal taking the money out of your account and giving it back to the buyer.  Is this not a realistic possibility?

It is a realistic possibility. If you use PayPal ship it with tracking, signature confirmation, and insurance. That should be the end of it but if it's disputed they'll have to ship something back. This is where PayPal really fails; Paypal will refund them the money (and attempt to take it from you) as soon as the tracking number the buyer registered for the returned item shows as delivered. Paypal makes no attempt to verify with the seller that the actual item was returned. They're perfectly happy that something has been returned even if it's a brick in a box. Getting them to reverse the refund is then almost impossible. If the buyer claims that the item was damaged in shipping, then shipped it back for a refund without filing the insurance claim then be very careful. I would not accept delivery as it's most likely a fraud and will be very difficult to fix.

Offline Slowy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2009, 07:18:03 PM »
i ran into this website a while back.. thought it was interesting, but i've never had a bad experience, but i've only bought one thing from a private seller

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

Joe

"a smite a day keeps the trailbugs away"!

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2009, 08:19:01 PM »
As a former Honest Internet Seller of high-end electronics, i can tell you I have never had a problem with PayPal, but my horror stories come from the Banks merchant card service (take Credit Cards w/o paypal via banks) and how dishonest buyers stole over $15k from me via charge backs. Banks take the consumers side 100% of the time since they know they can get the money from the merchant by reversing the charge. POS customers can just not pay their bill, so any claim, false or real will get charged back to the merchant, no questions asked and many crooks have figured this out and do it for a living...

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2009, 08:22:36 PM »
Can you explain this further Darrin? I'm very interested since I heard that this happen to a Swamper on a high end bike sale.

Offline Jonesy

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »
The buyer would be arranging for the shipping with a motorcycle shipping service. I would make him responsible from the time his service loaded the bike on the truck. The paypal dispute is what makes me nervous. Is there a way to set it up so the buyer cannot get any thing back from my account should he be trying to scam?

Advertisement: