Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: New Member  (Read 3043 times)

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« on: June 26, 2009, 08:31:39 AM »
 Hi guys, just joined Swamp. Looking forward to some good riding.  I've been riding the Bruce B Downs enterance loop and trails off it for the past year when I get time.  I see everyone is riding the Morris bridge entranace trails, which I haven't done yet.  But since I'm a noob, some Q's for ya guys before I get back out.

- Helmets. I have a cheesy $10 wal-mart helmet, just because. Where and what kind of helmet is decent? Not looking to break the bank. I was used to wearing a full blown MotoX helmet whe I BMX'd years ago.

- Pickup truck bike rack. Really need some tips in this dept. Have a Tacoma and need to carry 2 MTB's. Don't like the hitch receiver rack. I've seen some folks make them out of PVC, kind of like that idea along with strapping them in.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2009, 08:42:20 AM »
Hi guys, just joined Swamp. Looking forward to some good riding.  I've been riding the Bruce B Downs enterance loop and trails off it for the past year when I get time.  I see everyone is riding the Morris bridge entranace trails, which I haven't done yet.  But since I'm a noob, some Q's for ya guys before I get back out.

- Helmets. I have a cheesy $10 wal-mart helmet, just because. Where and what kind of helmet is decent? Not looking to break the bank. I was used to wearing a full blown MotoX helmet whe I BMX'd years ago.

- Pickup truck bike rack. Really need some tips in this dept. Have a Tacoma and need to carry 2 MTB's. Don't like the hitch receiver rack. I've seen some folks make them out of PVC, kind of like that idea along with strapping them in.
Welcome. 
For a variety and choice in look and design (all helmets must pass safety standards) Bell probably gives more price range and style choices.  Giro probably comes in close second for assortment in style and price.  More holes = higher price, but cooler both in looks and to wear.  But truth be told ANYTHING is cooler than brain damage from a crash or collision with low hanging limb or tree. Start around $40/$50 for a good helmet. You can easily find "cool looking" ones for $100/$150 that also have different strapping features, pads, etc.

You can pick up a couple of tie down ratchet straps from Home Depot or your local hardware store and put one hook (each) in the tie down loops of the truck bed, and wrap the other ends around the handlebar and ratchet tight so they stand up in the truck bed.  Probably the cheapest/easiest way to go.  Might want to secure the rear wheel too in case of emergency stop or fast swerve so your bike doesn't get tossed around.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2009, 09:11:35 AM »
Garry gives sound advice for your helmet choices.  As far as racks are concerned, you can also choose something like this:

On a side note, I'm surprised this thread hasn't been hijacked yet.  :D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 09:16:19 AM »
Garry gives sound advice for your helmet choices.  As far as racks are concerned, you can also choose something like this:

Who said Tacos?
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 09:16:58 AM »

That is a great simple rack for the bed of the truck.  Be sure to measure for wheel base of the bike in the bed of the truck.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 09:18:50 AM »
I wear a Giro Hex cause it has large air scoops on top and as you know it is hot as hell here in Fl. Cost me like $89.99 and was well worth it.Was a little cheaper since I  used my Swamp discount. Saved me once already from brain damage........I think, wait a second what were we talkng about? I think it is a mid level helmet.

I bought Yakima Blockheads with locking skewers and have attached them to the uni-track system in the bed of my truck (like $45 each) so that way I didn't have to drill any holes. Removing the wheel is kind of a pain but it may have the nice side affect of discouraging thief if you keep the front wheel inside the truck.Not sure, but I think you may cause problems by ratchet strapping your bike down and thus keeping the fork compressed for long periods of time. This is a no no for dirtbike forks.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 09:21:13 AM »

That is a great simple rack for the bed of the truck.  Be sure to measure for wheel base of the bike in the bed of the truck.

I have a four door Frontier and this set up wouldn't work for me. I have to leave the tailgate down even with front wheel removed and fork mounted just behind the cab.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2009, 09:24:51 AM »
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 09:58:34 AM »
I drive a '99 Tacoma with a cap on the bed. I bought 2 fork mounts ( $9.98 ea on price point)and mounted them to a 2X6 that runs the width of the bed. stagger the mounts so the handle bars clear. I can get 2 MTB's in no problem.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14572-255_SETHC6-2-Accessories-38-Racks/Storage/Sette-Hitch-It-Bike-Mount.htm
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2009, 10:00:43 AM »
Thanks for the help guys.  This weekend I'm busy so I won't be able to make it to croom.  When should I come out for the first time? just show up for the ride?  I'm going to straighten out the helmet and bike rack issues this weekend hopefully so I'm ready to go. 

Oh, one other thing guys... might be a stupid question, but when I BMX'd I had a full blown uniform, so I don't know really what to wear when going out on a MTB. I have the stock Aluminum Platform pedals that came on my Giant. Without going to buy spandex and a uniform, what should I wear? As for shoes I'm thinking a pair of tennis shoes?

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2009, 10:12:03 AM »
what should I wear?

Something like this.  ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2009, 10:19:15 AM »

Buy yourself 2 Fork Mounts, get a 2x4 and cut it so it fits snug on the slots in the bed of your truck then bolt the fork mounts on with a slight angle so the handlebars dont hit each other.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »
what should I wear?

Something like this.  ;)

Suck that stomach in and thrust that manly chest out!
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2009, 10:53:19 AM »
Dude... I'm not sure I can do the spandex pants.  Option B for an outfit?

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2009, 10:56:46 AM »
You can bolt two mounts on top of the 2x4 towards the ends and then screw a center one on the side of the 2x4 so that it sits back a few inches and that way the handlebars won't be an issue.

Oh course, don't leave the bikes hooked to this contraption and dash into Wal-Mart without at least having a cable lock run through one of the tie downs.

Advertisement: