Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: finally rode at alafia  (Read 3978 times)

Offline TN1978

• Clipless Mountain Goat
  • 09 Rockhopper Comp Disc
finally rode at alafia
« on: June 27, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
i finally went out to alafia to ride today. it was my first time out there and i must says it's ALOT better that flatwoods i rode the river loop first and another storm started coming in so i went ahead and rode north creek i didnt get a chance at rock garden and decieded after riding N.C. that i had no business trying rollercoaster. i really need to work on finding the proper gear to climb in and how to handle some of those rooty hills but all in all i had fun out there.
It's all fun & games until someone gets hurt then it's hillarious

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
Re: finally rode at alafia
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:50:51 PM »
I decided not to go as it was too wet. How did you do on NC?
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline TN1978

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 05:56:40 PM »
there was a few spots where the roots stopped me in my tracks and a few hills with roots at the top that stopped me too. i think i avg'd a blazing 7 mph ::) over the whole trail. it was fun though.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 06:36:41 PM »
May I suggest the Ridgeline trail at boyette (no hard options). Not many roots to deal with and will help you get used to gear selection. It's kinda like a maintained bike park since heavy equipment was used to build it.If you head out there make sure you have enough tools and supplies to replace a tube,fix a broken chain,etc cause it is a hell of a long walk back to the parking lot. Bring plenty of water as well.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline TN1978

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 07:05:38 PM »
i have the tubes cover still need to buy a small chain break tool and some spare links. i keep up shifting into the harder gears for half the trail then i finally started to get the gears right

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 08:25:30 PM »
Glad to see you venturing out to other places Tommy. Riding Flatwoods/Morris Bridge will get your cardio up, so Alafia will be a little easier. In my opinion though, if you are going to ride Riverloop and Sandpine, you might as well save the gas. Rollercoaster with out any of the options is actually easier at slow speed than Northcreek is. I think there are others that would agree with me that Northcreek gets easier when you are moving faster. Keep at it!

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009, 08:53:23 PM »
Anyone have any info on Moonscape and Gatoback?

Offline TN1978

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 09:25:02 PM »
yea, i'm probably going to stick with flatwoods until my cardio gets better.. alafia was fun but it's a long drive just to ride the easy trails

Offline cardalico

• First Bike
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 10:15:04 PM »
Rode gatorback today. Its still ride able but getting tougher on some of the climbs and drops, a lot more root ledges. Didnt ride moonscape but i would imagine the first part with all the clay is still very soft and slippery, as the end of bridges was non ride able even before it rained today. 

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: 2011 Redline Monocog Rigid SS 29er 32x17!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2009, 07:29:07 AM »
May I suggest the Ridgeline trail at boyette (no hard options). Not many roots to deal with and will help you get used to gear selection. It's kinda like a maintained bike park since heavy equipment was used to build it.If you head out there make sure you have enough tools and supplies to replace a tube,fix a broken chain,etc cause it is a hell of a long walk back to the parking lot. Bring plenty of water as well.

I 2nd this
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline TN1978

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2009, 09:17:29 AM »
ridgeline is a black diamond trail as is rollercoaster. does'nt that mean exp riders only. i dont mind trying new stuff but i dont want to break anything  either. how hard is this trail.. not for you more exp. guys but a new less exp. rider

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2009, 11:08:10 AM »
yea, i'm probably going to stick with flatwoods until my cardio gets better.. alafia was fun but it's a long drive just to ride the easy trails

I worry about someone who could take a bite out of Alafia and yet return to the hell hole in the fence. ???

But anyway, consider Ridgeline to be like a wide sidewalk through the woods with some serious (but not deadly) climbs and downhills. There are a few hard options that you should avoid until you are comfortable and more experienced. Some riders will let their entusiasm push people on to trails they shouldn't be on but Ridgeline was built for everyone to ride from expert to less experienced.Know your own limits but don't get stuck in a rut at Flatwoods like I did. There is no shame in walking some of the harder stuff on the medium duty trails.

There are only a few spots at Alafia that I'd consider as truly "Expert Only". Santos, on the other hand is a whole different story.

Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 11:25:21 AM »
TN...I agree w/what Catman said. Boyette is a great place for you to ride. It lets you put in the miles and has lots of fun trails for all types of riders. Lots of flow and rhythm. Hole in the fence is ok when you need a quick ride and are pressed for time, but if you have the time go to Boyette....you will see your skills and fitness increase quickly.
There is no shame in walking some sections. We have all done it.
I also like Croom. If you like the outdoors and getting away it is a great place to get in some miles. It does not have many technical sections, but does have elevation change and some decent climbs. Go to Croom when it is wet. I've been there 3 times and enjoyed it.

Offline TN1978

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2009, 11:26:26 AM »
hole in the fence is 7 minutes from my house.... as for alafia it is alot better trail system than hole in the fence hands down. i just dont like riding by myself to much. it's more fun to ride with a group and the way i rode at alafia i'm sure i couldnt keep up with you guys out there and would only hinder your ride if i rode out there with any of you.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2009, 11:33:52 AM »
Dont be so hard on yourself. I have been riding for 17 years. I am squarely in the middle of the pack when it comes to skill level of other Swampers...or at least so far. FN and Sandpine kicked my butt at Hole...but I added a whole MPH to my best avg. because they pushed me.
Its all about time on your bike. Just keep riding and pushing yourself , you will be surprised.
I can usually get to Hole by 4:15 if you want to ride someday this week let me know.

Advertisement: