Author Topic: Energy Shots  (Read 2425 times)

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
Re: Energy Shots
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 05:25:10 PM »
Ok, so I've tried an energy shot maybe once or twice (while ago) and I'm not sure if it exacty did the trick. I drink a lot of soda and two large cups of coffee per day at work so is it possible my body just doesn't react very well to that kind of stuff? With the super hot weather I'm looking for any help I can get so was thinking I'd ask for suggestions of energy shots and where to get them.

Also, what do you guys eat before a ride? I typically do a egg Mcmuffin but I can't decide if it does me more harm than good. So rides I feel good and some rides I feel like I should have skipped breakfast.

soda is the devil

You are correct! im going on 2 years without a sip since the report came out on Soda & Heart Disease. no matter if it's Diet, clear, sugar free or what ever else they decide to name it next.

Offline Rockhopper

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »
It's hard to keep up with the abundance of info of sports nutrition and how it often changes. With that in mind:

The folks at Hammer nutrition recommend eating nothing (except water) for three hours before a long distance event or training ride. (There are some minor exceptions.) They also outline in great detail what needs to be consumed during a ride -- and after a ride -- to optimize performance.  I know a lot of people will say that it's impossible not to eat breakfast before a ride and that they will bonk without enough pre-ride food. But bonking is more about general nutrition and about what you consume during a ride. Hammer's evidence is convincing and can be read on the Hammer Web site. Keep in mind that this is about optimizing performance for longer distances (more than 90 minutes of medium to high effort). 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:10:50 PM by Rockhopper »

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 03:16:22 PM »
Hammer's evidence is convincing and can be read on the Hammer Web site.
If Catman reads that, he won't have an excuse if he Catman'd during the warm-up.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 03:23:50 PM »
I've got to change things up cause my energy level lately has been horrible. Thinking I'll hit half a clif bar before the ride and then down the rest at around the mid point. Maybe I'll mix a gel shot in there somewhere as well since that seemed to help a little on Sunday's ride.

I know my best ride lately was after totally skipping breakfast and some of the most miserable rides came shortly after a Mcdonald's value meal :P
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 03:27:11 PM »
I really don't want to let TripleT down cause he really looks up to me. :D
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2009, 03:28:16 PM »
My current pre-ride meal is a protein bar, banana, an orange juice, and about 4-5oz of a Coke Zero (for the caffeine).  About the time I get to the beginning of the Vortex I'm usually good for a packet of Hammer Gel or some gel shots or something.  It has worked pretty well my last couple of rides especially this past weekend.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Online E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 03:32:22 PM »
If you eat too much before a long ride it will slow down your bodies ability to absorb nutrients.  Hammers idea is very good and it works great for me.

I take my calories/electrolytes gels/liquids nothing solid for me