Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Alafia @ 6am - NC and Rollercoaster...  (Read 4622 times)

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: 2011 Redline Monocog Rigid SS 29er 32x17!
Alafia @ 6am - NC and Rollercoaster...
« on: June 30, 2009, 08:10:44 PM »
...anybody up for it tomorrow morning?
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
Re: Alafia @ 6am - NC and Rollercoaster...
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »
It will be a mud bath.
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 08:19:02 PM »

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 08:23:37 PM »
It will be a mud bath.

not NC and rollercoaster...besides SSers dont have parts to worry about ;)
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 08:24:43 PM »
Croom or flatwoods may be your only option tomorrow as this area (Alafia/Boyette) received a very steady rain almost all day.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 08:47:25 PM »
It will be a mud bath.

not NC and rollercoaster...besides SSers dont have parts to worry about ;)

I think that's the last of a Mountain Biker's worry.. Anyhow, personally(only speaking for myself) i'd like to enjoy my rides, specially if i'm driving 1 1/2 hrs to get there...

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 08:52:36 PM »
Croom is the best place to ride in this weather. Not technically challenging but you get your miles and dont destroy the trails.....I mean it rained ALL FRIGGIN DAY!!
just my opinion but if you live around here pick your trails wisely in the rain, there is no need to trash them, they dry pretty quick!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 08:58:55 PM »
Croom is the best place to ride in this weather. Not technically challenging but you get your miles and dont destroy the trails.....I mean it rained ALL FRIGGIN DAY!!
just my opinion but if you live around here pick your trails wisely in the rain, there is no need to trash them, they dry pretty quick!

Same here.. it rained all day in Tarpon Springs.. i know my grass loved it but it ruined our Rail Trail ride for today....

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 09:33:03 PM »
well, I will be riding at 6am (I only live 10 mins away) and there aren't any parts of NC or Rollercoaster that get easily torn up...

be there or be square...

PS - early morning rides aren't particularly for fun...they are a good workout and a chance for me to build my endurance and work on technical skills...weekends with friends are for fun and donking around ;)

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 08:57:44 AM »
You guys missed out on a good clean ride this AM at 615 before the terrential down pours...

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 09:41:16 AM »
Hope the trails weren't overly wet. Riding in wet or rainy conditions damages the trails.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »
Hope the trails weren't overly wet. Riding in wet or rainy conditions damages the trails.

agreed!

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 10:29:26 AM »

I have to disagree to a degree, as the river-type erosion from washout/runoff ruins the trails and makes that portion difficult to pass and/or ride through.  One person on a semi-wet trail does not damage a trail to a point of making it unrideable.

PS - the trails were not even soft.  there was one section of rollercoaster that was flooded, but it was the soft sand in the first 10th of a mile...hope I didn't ruin that soft sand portion by riding through it ;)

PPS - I wonder what people who ride in Seattle and the surrounding wet areas of Washington and Oregon do?!?!  I mean, it rains constantly there.  They must only get to mountain bike on trails 2 weeks out of the year then if they avoid trails that are wet or don't ride during the rain...either that or their trails are totally wrecked and completely unrideable ;)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 10:34:23 AM by cgarolr »

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 11:23:39 AM »
they have a different kind of soil in Washington state. Comparing different parts of the country is not really a good comparison. We have mostly sand and clay around here that is more sensitive than dirt elsewhere in the country. 

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 11:28:53 AM »

I have to disagree to a degree, as the river-type erosion from washout/runoff ruins the trails and makes that portion difficult to pass and/or ride through.  One person on a semi-wet trail does not damage a trail to a point of making it unrideable.

PS - the trails were not even soft.  there was one section of rollercoaster that was flooded, but it was the soft sand in the first 10th of a mile...hope I didn't ruin that soft sand portion by riding through it ;)

PPS - I wonder what people who ride in Seattle and the surrounding wet areas of Washington and Oregon do?!?!  I mean, it rains constantly there.  They must only get to mountain bike on trails 2 weeks out of the year then if they avoid trails that are wet or don't ride during the rain...either that or their trails are totally wrecked and completely unrideable ;)

http://www.swampclub.org/smf/index.php/topic,4209.0.html

I had the same thought process, talk to Garry about rain/wetness and our Florida trails. No trail is ever going to be 'unrideable'. I thought Shelly's Loop back last year was fantastic, but between the heavy rains last year and people riding that downhill in the rain, it got really messed up. It got repaired and I threw a fit...even though to me it was still rideable. That being said, it is getting that way again. However, hopefully I will be there this time to help direct the erosion control.

Just advice from one rider to another. Try not to ride the trails while raining or avoid trails that get really messy after a rain. Let them dry a little bit and we will have to waste less time fixing them on workdays.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Advertisement: