Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Reba Sl lock out adjustment and other questions.  (Read 2320 times)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
Reba Sl lock out adjustment and other questions.
« on: July 01, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »
1   Is the lockout adjustment ment as a off/on or a variable adjustment?

2    Assuming the compression gets progressivly harder as the suspension travels,
It seems that as I ride the sag is immediatly taken up by my body weight and the rest of the travel only moves on med to hard inputs. How would I make the sag harder but still sag without the rest of the travel being too hard?

3    What qualities would my shock posess if I ran the compression hard then the rebound pressure lower and adjust the rebound control to fast (rabbit )?

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
Re: Reba Sl lock out adjustment and other questions.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 07:30:11 PM »
I'm still learning the proper adjustment MM but I will say dont put the rebound too slow. I did that and went down hard on a root while cornering. I will keep an eye on this post...I am curious as well....
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 09:01:56 PM »
Answers are going to depend on which year Reba you have and which damper is installed in it (Poploc, motion control, black box, something else).

Most poploc dampers are on/off. They're either locked and have no travel or they're fully open. If it has a motion control damper it's not a true lock-out it has adjustable compression damping, increasing the damping will make the fork feel harder on a hit but doesn't stop the travel from working. Black box is kind of a weird mix between the two I don't really get it but there are tuning adjustments for the damping as well as the floodgate which lets you set up a platform like effect that lets the fork feel like it's locked out until it takes a hit greater than the flood threshhold then it opens up.

Sag is good. Having the right amount of sag will set the bike geometry in the correct place and lets the fork extend to keep the wheel in contact with the ground. Typically you set sag by adjusting the pressure, then you set the rebound as fast as is possible without it feeling like a pogo stick, then you set the damping to fit the terrain. Rough chattery stuff gets little if any damping, smoother stuff gets more to help direct more power to the wheels. Might adjust pressure to prevent bottom outs or allow more travel depending on what you're expecting to see but most people find the pressure that give the right sag for them then just adjust the damping as appropriate unless they're bottoming out.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 09:44:55 PM »
I assume that mine is at least a 08 or 09 because its on a bike thats been out no longer than 6 months  and says motion control on the crown. So i assume it is variably adjustable.
my wieght takes up the sag leaving the rest of the travel too hard. It doesnt soak up the small stuff. So i guess I need to increase the compression pressure and slow down the rebound dampning and decrease the rebound pressure to get the ride I like. 
Does this sound right?

Offline ClintonRH

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »
Reba SL is a two chamber fork so there's some tuning you can do with the balance of the pressures in the chambers. I have a solo air fork so I only have to deal with setting the pressure once for both chambers. You get to do it twice. A more versatile system to tune but also more of a headache to get set right if you haven't yet developed shock mojo.
For better small bump compliance I believe you increase the pressure of the negative chamber. This will squat the fork a little more so it may not be an option if you're using all the travel regularly.

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:40:50 AM »
SRAM has a pretty good fork tuning guide on their website. It is worth a read.

Advertisement: