SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 10:13:36 PM] Skinman: I need a Eurotrash girl and a bike ride

[Yesterday at 10:15:15 PM] Skinman: Coach...wanna ride Croom w/us tomorrow?

[Yesterday at 10:23:37 PM] Coach: Love to, but the girls are reading at church

[Yesterday at 10:24:13 PM] Coach: Enjoy it!  Its been a long wait.

[Yesterday at 10:28:29 PM] mmountainbiker: anyone riding morris bridge tomorrow?

[Yesterday at 10:37:16 PM] Skinman: Its gonna be a 

[Yesterday at 10:37:20 PM] Skinman: RIDE FOR ME...

[Yesterday at 10:37:38 PM] Skinman: oH WAIT, THAT DIDNT WORK OUT SO WELL LAST TIME! LOL

[Yesterday at 10:38:02 PM] Skinman: oops...caps lock on

[Yesterday at 10:38:29 PM] Skinman: 60% ride for me was what i tried to say

[Yesterday at 11:02:53 PM] Coach: That only works if you ride with me!

[Yesterday at 11:03:25 PM] Coach: Those guys are gonna dust you!   ...JK

Advanced search  

News:

Remember to login to view all of the boards and topics available to you.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: cable cleaning  (Read 505 times)

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
Re: cable cleaning
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2009, 01:34:00 PM »
Something like this should work if you like to keep a clean looking bike

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/CA308A02-Jagwire+Cable+Grip.aspx
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2009, 01:49:42 PM »
I thought they were $100 when I was considering them ???
You may have been looking at the Nokon cables.  They're more expensive than the Gore.
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."  Friedrich Nietzsche

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2009, 01:50:30 PM »
Or you can say the heck with all that, pony up the 50 bucks for the Gore cables and never have to mess with them for a year. It's well worth not having to mess with it after a ride to get the shifting working right, or worse yet having an issue mid-ride.

Good point. Every time I've gone out of state and had my bike sitting in the back of my truck for days I end up having to re-lube the cables.

I'm wondering if the manufacturers use multi piece housings due to the resistance that full housing may incur? I had a bike recently with full housings and it was a sluggish shifter even after I blew GT-85 through the housings. Could have been other factors at play as the bike sat for over a year before I got it.

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2009, 01:57:53 PM »
I thought they were $100 when I was considering them ???
You may have been looking at the Nokon cables.  They're more expensive than the Gore.

Yup, those are the ones I was looking at. Was going to install the blue ones but decided they look totally gay :D  I have no idea who would even think about installing those things on their Ibis.......I mean bike.

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2009, 02:05:04 PM »
Was going to install the blue ones but decided they look totally gay :D  I have no idea who would even think about installing those things on their Ibis.......I mean bike.
Blue Nokon's would be totally gay.  ;D   It's a good thing I didn't put those on my Ibis.

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."  Friedrich Nietzsche

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2009, 02:28:32 PM »
I'm gonna get those new electronic derailleurs installed. Those should really make Krunnch's head explode.

KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Global Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Evil thread hijacker!
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2009, 02:34:38 PM »
I'm gonna get those new electronic derailleurs installed. Those should really make Krunnch's head explode.

lolz

I wonder if I could electrocute you if I pushed you down Frank's loop into the water....*ponders*

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2009, 03:50:41 PM »
I know on some bikes having the housing run solid can cause ghost shifting when the suspension works. As for carrying the cables with you, sure that works. But when I go out to ride, I go to ride, not work on my bike in a parking lot. I've never understood those guys you see pull in the parking lot, get their bike and stand out, and then spend an hour working on the bike before they ride. JMO.
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!

BillT

• is straight outta Locash.
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2009, 03:55:52 PM »
I've never understood those guys you see pull in the parking lot, get their bike and stand out, and then spend an hour working on the bike before they ride. JMO.

For some people, at the trailhead is the only time they have to do that stuff.  With 2 little ones around and no garage, it is hard for me to find time to do bike maintenance type stuff unless I'm out of the house going for a ride somewhere.  It isn't what I'd want to do, but sometimes I just have no choice.
Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy, sir.

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 07:12:42 PM »
I work with a guy who waits to address issues until they break or he notices them while assembling his bike in the parking lot (takes wheels off to transport). We hate to hear the dreaded "hey, let me borrow your tools" cause that means we're gonna be waiting a while. He seems to get irritated when we say we're gonna hit North Creek and will be right back. So now we make sure we go extra slow ;D

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 07:16:56 PM »
I know on some bikes having the housing run solid can cause ghost shifting when the suspension works. As for carrying the cables with you, sure that works. But when I go out to ride, I go to ride, not work on my bike in a parking lot. I've never understood those guys you see pull in the parking lot, get their bike and stand out, and then spend an hour working on the bike before they ride. JMO.

I'm usually guilty of airing up the tires and lubing the chain on site but that's about it.

KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Global Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Evil thread hijacker!
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 10:15:50 PM »

I'm usually guilty of airing up the tires and lubing the chain on site but that's about it.

I usually rebuild my DHX under the tree at Alafia blindfolded with no tools. Sometimes I do it at the Soda machine, makes it uber cool.

slowfatguy

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 10:19:11 PM »

I usually rebuild my DHX under the tree at Alafia blindfolded with no tools. Sometimes I do it at the Soda machine, makes it uber cool.

that just means you spend too much time working on your bike instead of riding! 8)
Jason.
Garry says I get a trail building star!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 18 queries.