Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Weekdays - 6am Backwards Trail Rides  (Read 4601 times)

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: 2011 Redline Monocog Rigid SS 29er 32x17!
Weekdays - 6am Backwards Trail Rides
« on: July 08, 2009, 11:06:17 AM »
Hey guys, I don't know if I have to go through proper channels or not, but I was thinking of starting up a 6am ride group that rides certain trails backwards (rollercoaster, bridges, northcreek).  This would add new life to the trails, as riding them constantly gets a tad boring after awhile.

Thoughts?

PS - I have a family pass and the gate code, which allows me to bring in 7 additional people (and they don't all have to be in the same car anymore - new rule from a few weeks ago)
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: Weekdays - 6am Backwards Trail Rides
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 11:46:12 AM »
Carter Road has backwards rides on Wednesdays if you're looking for a little variety. 
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:06:48 PM »
I live 10 mins from Alafia and riding during the week at night is not an option for me.  That is why I ride at 6am.  Also, it is a good time when there is no one else there for us to try something new.

Carter Road regular direction would be a new variety for me, as we stay local between Alafia and Boyette on Saturdays...

PS - Thanks for the Carter Road info, but I knew that already (kinda where I got the idea ;)  )
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:16:20 PM »
Your best bet is to PM Art or Garry.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
Carter Road has backwards rides on Wednesdays if you're looking for a little variety.
You have to dress backwards too.  Something like this:

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 02:00:35 PM »
JUMP! JUMP!

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 02:14:01 PM »
If the park is empty, who will know what direction you ride?  Who else is out there on a weekday at 7am?  Honestly though, the directions all the one way trails go seems to be the best flowing direction.  The very rare occasions that I may go against the flow, I make sure to holla as I go into blind turns to protect the innocent.  Ooops, I have said too much.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 02:27:12 PM »
And you have to ride one of these if you ride Alafia backwards.
http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/104bronson/?p=82
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 02:46:26 PM »
If the park is empty, who will know what direction you ride?  Who else is out there on a weekday at 7am? 

This was my initial thought, but since I got BLASTED for wanting to ride in the wet conditions, I thought it best to preface it the way I did.  As for the harshness of the flow when ridden backwards, there are definitely difficult areas that may or may not be rideable backwards...but there in lies the challenge...I think it will be fun.

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 03:42:59 PM »
You have to dress backwards too.  Something like this:

I wonder what these guys are doing now?!?!  Guess I could google them, but it's not worth the time ;)

Offline northbkr1

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 12:26:04 AM »
PLEASE DON'T!!!!!!!!!!! ride the trails backwards. They are one way trails for a reason. The one way trails at Alafia were designed to be ridden one way. If you ride trails in the opposite direction you can RUIN the drops by trying to climb them. We have enough work to do trying to fix what is being damaged from normal use, from the rain and people riding wet trails when they should not be on the trails (hint hint). If you do it other people will think it is ok to do so.... IT IS NOT.  Thanks in advance for not riding the trails Backwards.
Art

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 07:14:35 AM »
The boss has spoken.  Looks like that answers that question.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 08:37:51 AM »
+1 to the 14th power

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 08:51:31 AM »
We have enough work to do trying to fix what is being damaged from normal use, from the rain and people riding wet trails when they should not be on the trails (hint hint).

You should come out to the July 18th workday or the August workday. I use to be all about rogue trail riding - I am guilty of it. Not to mention guilty of rain riding. However, after busting my ballz and adopting some trails - I have a new found respect for the trails. I have been riding them for more than a year now and I have never or will ever ride them backwards because like Art said - if I do that and have to come back and fix my own damn damage - I am going to be pissed. I already have to waste enough time blocking off god d*$n rogue trails when I ride, I don't want to do more trail fixes.

Bottom line is I want more frigin trails at Alafia and when we all can realize that we need to take care of these trails collectively - we can stop wasting time fixing them and start building more.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 09:02:45 AM »
Well put KRUNNCHERO - trail repair is an eye opener to what it takes for sustainable trails.  Do folks realize the main reason behinds Arts obsession with rocks?  They don't erode.  :-)

Advertisement: