SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 02:38:38 PM] Darrinw2001: LSU vs Gaors will be a great game this year Fe... 

[Today at 02:38:47 PM] Darrinw2001: Gators... opps.

[Today at 02:38:53 PM] FACTORe: if it is like last time they played in Death Valley

[Today at 02:39:02 PM] FACTORe: that was a battle

[Today at 02:39:03 PM] Darrinw2001: You can watch it at my House!

[Today at 02:39:24 PM] FACTORe: I watch it in my lucky tighty whities and I wear a LSU cape

[Today at 02:39:28 PM] FACTORe: for good luck

[Today at 02:39:46 PM] Darrinw2001: thanks for that picture in my mind...

[Today at 02:39:47 PM] FACTORe:  I rub my lucky LSU knome

[Today at 02:40:09 PM] FACTORe: I then hang up a purple and gold confederate flag

[Today at 02:40:11 PM] Darrinw2001: I just got the bids oic out and bow you put this in it?

[Today at 02:40:46 PM] FACTORe: put on a pot of gumbo

Advanced search  

News:

Squiggy Classic 6 Hour Mountain Bike Race (Mar 14, 2009), information and results  here. How did you do?

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Protective gear for little kids  (Read 154 times)

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Protective gear for little kids
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:00:40 PM »
I took my son on Loch Ness Upper LN, Randy's trail, Spider Berm and East Meadow on Saturday. He did very well everywhere but took some hard spills.

Helmets for kids are easy to find but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for armor, shorts etc. He is 7 years old and 4' 3". He has no fear, (even after a HARD spill on ULN), so I am thinking more protection is needed than just the helmet and gloves he has now. I have not seen anything in the local stores small enough to fit him.
Thanks
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
Re: Protective gear for little kids
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:36:03 PM »
Have you asked if your LBS can order smaller sizes?

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »
as far as shorts go, I bought my son (just turned eight) womens sized baggy bike shorts that you would not know the difference from mens. No armor, but he just went clipless so I may have to buy some now! I bought his shorts online at Bike Nashbar from their "returns" section. measure his waist and check out the womens sizes. 

« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:44:06 PM by Darrinw2001 »
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:13:16 PM »
Thanks...I never thought of womens sizes! No TTT I didnt ask. I actually prefer to buy at the LBS whenever plausible, so I will ask next time I'm there.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 08:51:53 PM »
Thanks...I never thought of womens sizes! No TTT I didnt ask. I actually prefer to buy at the LBS whenever plausible, so I will ask next time I'm there.

just dont tell him they are womens... you know how kids are ;D

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:06:57 PM »
No Way!!
Actually I think clipless would have helped. He keeps lifting his feet off the pedals and he loses control. It was his first foray into the blues and he did very well. Has your son done any of the blues yet? I get a little worried I am pushing it, but he is bored with the green trails........

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »
Spencer does Bridges, rock garden, north creek at Alafia- Loch ness, upper loch ness (except that crappy climb), spider berm, randy's trail, gator pit (he did face plant that last week, but he lived) golf cart, west meadow, inner loch ness, and palmetto. He can do everthing at Croom, and even rode Twister, Dr Ruth, Canopy, Bunny, and handled the plank at the skills area at Santos... 

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 10:12:47 PM »
PJ would have wrecked on that one! He wont be 8 till next March. It sounds like our boys are on the same track...... I cant wait until HE is pushing ME! I would have gone on your ride saturday but wanted to do the trail maintenance. (We do church saturday nights).....I need to figure out how to get my girls into the sport. (7 and 8).........

eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 08:17:18 AM »
My nephew is 4 and I just got him riding on 2 wheels.  He is wearing kids baseball gloves for his hands and my arm pads for knee and shin guards.  I think they are older fox 911 pads, basically a lycra sleeve with elbow and forearm pads built in.  They fit a little baggy so I know he can wear them for a while and then I will worry about bigger ones.  So far he has taken 2 big falls on the street and walked away without a mark.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 25 queries.