Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: spare set of rims with road tires that are interchangable with calipers  (Read 1021 times)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
I want a separate pair of rims to do city rides downtown with.  Would they have to be identical rims to fit caliper or are they all standardized. I want them to be "hot swappable"

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
You should be good to go as long as you match your current rotor diameter, you will probably have to realign your caliper to the different rotors unless you get the same hubs you currently have as hub widths can vary by a fraction. You can dial in that fractional difference by shimming the rotor if you don't want to deal with rotor alignment as you rotate wheelsets :)

Offline Alan

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Monolog, Bruce LeeRoy, Gnarvester of SSorrow
I think you would need to have the same make/model hub and cassette on both rear wheels to make sure you don't have to readjust the read der when you swap wheels.

On a related note, if you need tires I have a set of schwalbe kojaks with hardly any miles up for sale.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:42:34 AM by Alan »

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
Good point on the Cassette Alan :)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
Thanks guys. My question was answered very well indeed. I assume rims dont matter but hubs do. And naturally I would have gotten the cassette so they could be swapped easily.
Now my problem is how to get these bontrager oem hubs?

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Thanks guys. My question was answered very well indeed. I assume rims dont matter but hubs do. And naturally I would have gotten the cassette so they could be swapped easily.
Now my problem is how to get these bontrager oem hubs?

I use the same cassette on both wheels Road/Off Road --- takes me an extra 2 minutes to switch them out (W/Tools of course)..

a huge problem that you'll find if you use 2 different cassettes is that the chain will get more used to the cassette that you put more miles in(Road Tires in my case) then when you go off roading your highest gears will start skipping BADDDDD... and no derrailleur adjusting will fix that..

So instead of buying a new cassette for the extra set of wheels, i'd take that money and buy the tools to remove the cassette if you dont already have them.

my 2 cents... (i've been burned before 2 hrs away from home @ Santos)

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
I rotate two sets of wheels on the Anthem, Crossmax's and Hope SP3's. I have had no problem with derailer alignment between the two different wheels but the Hope rotor mounts seem to be a little more shallow than most and required 5 shims for proper alignment up front the rear were a perfect match to the Crossmax's and required no shims. Each wheelset has it's own cassette, XT on the Hopes and XTR on the Crossmax's. I rotate a few different chains with no issue. With that being said, I am very dilligent about keeping the drive train clean and lubed doing so every 2 or 3 rides(some times every ride depending on how much muck I encounter) which does wonders for shift quality and prevents wear on these high $$$ wear items :)

Advertisement: