Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: My next accident is going to be on  (Read 1547 times)

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
My next accident is going to be on
« on: January 18, 2007, 08:00:01 PM »
Hopefully never. Gregg, you got me thinking about what if. I have a Medical savings account health plan with a 4000.00 deductible to keep the pemiums down.  If I go down, I'm out 4k plus lost wages. When I joined Swamp I also signed up with IMBA and in there membership pack that they sent me was a benefit of accident insurance. I didn't give  it a second look but after reading about Greggs mis-fortune, i have gone to the IMBA web page and read the details on the policy. Looks pretty darn good. Three hundred plus dollars for accident coverage for the family which will pay my $4000 deductible if anything were to happen. That sounds like a pretty good deal. I can't believe it, a health insurance company that is offering a good deal!
" Not this time, Lance"

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
Re: My next accident is going to be on
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 08:44:06 PM »
As it would happen, when I joined IMBA about six months or so ago, I signed up for this coverage.

Let's face it, this sport that we all so obviously love for it's challenges, is inherently dangerous. We all enjoy that feeling of mastering that tough trail. Each time we go to Alafia or Santos, we expect to get dinged up. That is part of the fun. Right?

What happened to me this past week demonstrates that sometimes weird stuff happens. I thought my wife was crazy when she suggested that we get this coverage.

It has given her peace of mind, and let's face, it at this point keeping her happy could be the difference between me from starving or dehydrating to death. It will be great to walk again.

I will let everyone know how well they pay the claim. From my intitial contact with them, I beleive this will be very smooth,

Gregg

P.s. while I was writing this my wife has sprayed all around me with air freshener.

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:41:05 PM »
Hopefully you can take a shower real soon Gregg... lol   ;D ;D ;D

I just got my IMBA package today since I joined it a month ago.  I had asked Gregg about that insurance and I also wanted to compare it with the one Aflac has.  What?  Aflac.. what?  AFLLAAACCC!!!!  From reading the IMBA insurance one, there are two options.  One cost a bit more then the other but adds life insurance as well.  Both cover the same as far as medical.  However, it does not cover lost wages.  If I was to get hurt and have to miss more days then I have left for vacation, i have to go on short term disability with no pay.  That will not be good.  So i am waiting to hear back on Aflac to compare the prices.  I am sure Aflac is more then $40 month which is what you can expect to pay for the IMBA one.  Maybe less if you don't want the additional life insurance ryder.

I'll let you know more on the Aflac and compare coverages and prices more in detail after IDIDARIDE.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:51:32 PM »
I don't remember if I asked you when we talked about it, but are you sure that AFLAC will cover you if you are engaging is a "risky behavior" such as off road biking? 

As far as the life insurance portion, I have notice that my wife has raised the coverage on me each of the last 4 years (hmm??). So that was not a major concern of mine. My health care insurance includes disability coverage, so lost wages was not a big concern.

I felt that getting the Adventure Advocates coverage would probably pay a claim more easily since it is targeted to people who engage in this "risky behavior".

Gregg

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 11:04:24 PM »
I'll let you know when I find out.  But if I remember the AFLAC commercials, it shows people hiking out in the middle of nowhere and falling off cliffs... speciall the duck falling yelling A F L AA CCC!!  remember that one?  I would call them ealry next week.

Offline EllsRider

• Yellow Jersey
  • 813Racing
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 06:15:32 AM »
Adventure Advocates also claims to give excess profits to wilderness causes. I think i read they were non profit  :o. Another reason to go with them is they are affiliated with biking so if you believe in supporting your local bike shop or supporting the sponsors that contibute to events and races it makes sense to go with Adventure Advocates.  Thanks for the info and let us all know what you find out. Either way, I'm going to get signed up.
" Not this time, Lance"

Advertisement: