Author Topic: Online tube deals?  (Read 2214 times)

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Online tube deals?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009, 07:58:03 PM »
whiped out on the little hill before Gator Bait/ Misery at Morris bridge and the front tire came off due to the way I fell down. Used Stans with UST tires and rims and it was a sticky mess. Ended up putting a tube on since it would not re-seal.. Just my experiance and did not think it was worth all the fuss and mess.

yeah - UST rims don't seal stans as good as the strips or stan's rims with yellow tape - that is why I don't like UST

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009, 08:14:27 PM »
I may give Stans another shot down the road, but as of right now dont see a big benefit. I dont run super low air pressure, and I havent had a flat in months besides the one I mentioned.
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Online Alan

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • My Bike: 2009 GF Paragon, 2008 Redline MC29er
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009, 09:42:43 PM »
Lots of guys on MTBR are using their own interesting mixes for sealant.  From what I understand Stan's changed their formulation and their sealant isn't quite as good as it was in the past. 

I'd try tubeless but I don't think I can run it with my current rim setup (Alex DH19).  Plus it just seems more trouble than it is worth.  Between the initial mounting and the trail blow-out horror stories I have heard...just seems like a tube is much easier/faster. 

Any feedback on the Slime tubes?  Seem pretty heavy, but they state they will last two years with only minor punctures. 

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009, 09:53:10 PM »
Over the last 2 years I have run 2 different UST rims with both UST and standard tires as well as two different conventional rims converted with stans rim strips and conventional and UST tires. NO flats, No burping, NO issues. I carry a tube just in case but it always gets used by the guy riding tubes. The horror stories you hear are more like urban ledgends, I can't believe in this day and age there are still people that have not taken advantage of this technology. I've said it before and I'll say it again, once you go tubeless, you will KICK yourself for not having done it sooner.

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2009, 08:24:56 AM »
One thing I do know... UST tires on UST rims are hard as S**T to get on and off...

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2009, 12:11:02 PM »
One thing I do know... UST tires on UST rims are hard as S**T to get on and off...

Which is why it is a superior system to any ghetto setup.  I'll gladly take the extra weight for a stiffer sidewall and greatly minimizing the chance that the tire will roll off the rim at exactly the wrong time.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2009, 12:34:48 PM »
The funny thing is the tire that came off on me was a ust tire on a ust rim, but had Stans in it as well....

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2009, 07:13:40 PM »

Which is why it is a superior system to any ghetto setup.  I'll gladly take the extra weight for a stiffer sidewall and greatly minimizing the chance that the tire will roll off the rim at exactly the wrong time.

that is why I don't do the ghetto set-ups

stans rims w/ stans yellow tape w/ stans fluid rather than trying to make some rim other than stans work with that rubber rim strip thing

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2009, 07:41:42 PM »
Just to set the record straight, ghetto refers to an install using methods other than the prescribed rim strip in which I have great faith. Ghetto is the conversion using a split 20" innertube or some other creative device in place of the recommended rim strip.

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2009, 08:21:50 PM »
in order for me to get Stan's Rims I would have to spend a small fortune since I have a Lefty fork. As far as a return on investment it would never pay for itself...

Offline drb81

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2009, 08:26:09 PM »
in order for me to get Stan's Rims I would have to spend a small fortune since I have a Lefty fork. As far as a return on investment it would never pay for itself...

just buy a rim and spokes and get it laced to your current hub. or you can buy a new lefty hub for about $100 from a lbs. But since you already have ust rims, I wouldn't waste the money on a stan's rim, your tire came off during a crash, who's to say it wouldn't have come off a stan's rim as well.
[/don]

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2009, 08:33:59 PM »
Don, that happened on my old bike... I dont have ust rims anymore. I was just stating that at over $500 that gettting new Stans rims is not going to make that much of a difference to me to make that kind of investment. .

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2009, 08:52:45 PM »
I am using a Mavic XC717 and a DT Swiss 4.2 converted using the stans standard rim strip, go to the stans site and it will tell you which strip to use on your particular rim.

Offline drb81

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2009, 09:06:53 PM »
Don, that happened on my old bike... I dont have ust rims anymore. I was just stating that at over $500 that gettting new Stans rims is not going to make that much of a difference to me to make that kind of investment. .

ah, got it. either way, ust or stan's rims. you should be able to get either one laced to you current hubs for a few hundred bucks or less depending on the rims and spokes. or you could use the stan's conversion kit. for me I'm gonna stick to true ust rims, seems more secure and dependable.
[/don]

Offline E90X + 1.1.11

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2009, 09:12:21 PM »
I am using a Mavic XC717 and a DT Swiss 4.2 converted using the stans standard rim strip, go to the stans site and it will tell you which strip to use on your particular rim.

I used the strips om 717s with no problems at all - seems like the strips work better on non UST rims