Author Topic: Online tube deals?  (Read 2215 times)

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
Re: Online tube deals?
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2009, 09:13:42 PM »
Check out the video on the no tubes site where a c-clamp is put on a true UST tire/rim set up and a converted conventional rim/tire. The true UST system will burp when the c-clamp is twisted(more force than would ever be seen in normal use EXCEPT when crashing on the hill just before Gatorbait ;D) The converted setup does not burp because of the rubber to rubber interface of tire on rim strip.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:17:16 PM by Scott »

Offline nick

• Amateur Billy Goat
  • My Bike: MTB-05 Giant Trance /Road-87 Schwinn LeTour
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2009, 07:02:31 AM »
I have been running the stans kit for 2 years and never burped air or had a flat. First couple sets of tires were kenda and now im running specialized. The front wheel is mavic crossland and the rear is a DT XR4.2D. Both are non ust and no issues at all. With tubes i was always getting pinch flats. I dont know why they even make UST stuff anymore its not needed.

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2009, 07:48:50 AM »
Just to set the record straight, ghetto refers to an install using methods other than the prescribed rim strip

True, however, using Stan's means that you're making something work in a way that it wasn't intended.  "Converting" "ghetto".  The same in my opinion.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2009, 08:08:13 AM »
factore,these guys with all the stans probs either did not do their homework and bought the wrong tire rim combo or installed it improperly.  2 years since my last flat.  tubes make me laugh... ;D

Offline chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2009, 08:09:55 AM »
Garry,you should step up to the tubless. You just got the disc brakes so it is the next logical step. ;D

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2009, 08:34:50 AM »
Has anyone found any good online deals for tubes?  I've blown through two tubes in the past month or so and I'm tired of paying $9-12 per tube (depending on which LBS I can actually find a 29er tube). 

Please no "you need to go tubeless" comments.  ;)
Yeah shop around for tubes that is way too high we sell them for half that,And yes listen to Factorells he knows what he is talking about no issues here in 4 years

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2009, 08:52:13 AM »
The argument can be made that a rim strip makes a more durable seal than a true UST rim/tire combo, check out the video I mentioned previous. I have been running a Michelin XCR Dry2 tire for the last 6 months with out issue (on the stans non recomended list) on a converted 4.2 rim, not sure I would try that on a UST rim. That rubber on rubber interface enhances the seal durability.