SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 08:56:13 PM] FACTORe: the temp account has been deleted

[Yesterday at 09:12:50 PM] mksandoz: YOYOYOYOYO

[Yesterday at 09:13:11 PM] Paintboy: I can't keep up 

[Yesterday at 09:14:02 PM] Paintboy: Fe were do you find the time ?

[Yesterday at 09:40:58 PM] FACTORe: lol

[Yesterday at 09:41:33 PM] FACTORe: it is amazing I can find time between all the charts training and eating cupcakes

[Yesterday at 11:40:48 PM] jakethesnake0413: just got in from Oregon had a great time will post some pics tomorrow

[Today at 07:48:04 AM] BillT: i like cupcakes

[Today at 07:48:14 AM] BillT: but i'd like to see some oregon riding even more

[Today at 07:48:21 AM] BillT: mckenzie river trail?

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums updated to Version 2.0 RC1  on February 15, 2009

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best 29er tires for our trails  (Read 423 times)

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
Re: Best 29er tires for our trails
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2009, 11:50:49 AM »
I am so bored waiting for the ribs to heal I may have dozens of tires when its time to ride again.

All of this downtime and all that you've ordered so far have been tires??  You should at least have a few new components by now.  ;D
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2009, 01:31:56 PM »
SP.....the $16 deal was not what I thought it was....I paid the regular discounted price from PricePoint....I forget exactly but I think they were about $35.....

I've ridden the same tires for so long (15 years) its kinda fun trying out new ones......albeit expensive!
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

moleminiman

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2009, 02:36:46 PM »
Won't go with anything but ExiWolf
Forrest
2009 29er D660 18spd Hardtail
2006 29er Redline Monocog Hardtail
2007 26" Specialized Expert Stumpjumper Full Suspension
2006 Specialized Tarmac Comp Road Bike

kinematic11

• Ride Guide
  • First Bike
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 10:16:10 PM »
i ride a 29er ellsworth evolve - full suspension baby! it came with nevegals so i rode them for a few weeks while i waited for my I-9's to come in. the nevegals are the heaviest beast out there! finally, my new wheels came in and i ordered the stans with them and they are better than i imagined! i keep lowering the air pressure each ride. i am down around 22 pounds right now and they just keep getting better. you will pay for these in price but will reap performance.

i posted this on another reply:
"you need to go to the no tubes web site and look at the videos and check out the crow and the raven. the kenda kosmic lite II is my third choice. there are very few riders in the club that ride the level of the stans tires, you have to be serious about your riding and level of understanding. once you try a lightweight tire (one that is under 500 grams), then you will never ride a 2 pound tire again. once you try a crow 2.0 in the rear and a raven 2.2 in the front, then you will not ride the kosmic. experience will guide you. wathc the stans videos on the no tubes web site. you will believe.
ps: watch the fastest riders in the club on the club rides. look at what is on their rims. you will see."

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 07:44:44 AM »
22lbs?   damn, I think I would trash my rims...I ride about 35-38lbs.....but I am 260lbs...no spring chicken.
If I went with stans could I ride lower pressures? I have not made the jump to tubeless yet.
My bike went from 28lbs to 30.5 last night after i put the new rubber on!
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 08:11:34 AM »
People have the misconception that tubeless will save them weight when in reality it is pretty much a wash when you compare tubes to rim strips/tape and sealant. What you do gain is the ability to run lower pressure with out pinch flating your now non existant tube. It is ABSOLUTLY worth converting for that factor alone, as a tire running lower pressure will conform instead of bounce off every obstacle they come into contact with.

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 08:26:38 AM »
my fear of running to low of an air pressure is the risk of rim damage. Bigger guys like me (250+) could put a hurting on some rims on the roots we have around here....  What is the best way to figure out the optimal psi for your weight besides trail and error?
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 08:32:37 AM »
Thats a good ? DW, maybe ask someone of your stature who has been there done that? I run around 28psi but am a dainty 180 :D Back in the day of tubes I would run 40 psi and pinch flat every other ride just railing hard turns :'(

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 08:35:01 AM »
great question dw.....I have trashed many a rim in the old days when my pressures were too low when I went to FS I jacked up my pressure significantly....

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 09:10:28 AM »
Yeah, when I was on a full suspension it didn't matter much, but now I am on a 29er HT I am bouncing off the roots a little too much, but fear of rim damage if I go too low.. someone should develop a chart with optimal psi for rider weight... that would be cool...

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 10:26:16 AM »
http://www.vintagebicyclepress.com/images/TireDrop.pdf

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/2003/SharaKhan.shtml

2 charts for you.  I make no claim on the accuracy.  Just a quick google search revealed these.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 10:28:46 AM by Triple T »
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Crazed Bunny with limited traction on leaves.
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 10:51:55 AM »
There is a weight difference running tubeless, but it varies by application.

If you are running with a full tubless tire and a tubless rim. There will be little difference.

If you are running a non tubeless tire with a non tubless ready rim with a full Stan's conversion including rim strip, there will be a modest difference in weight, around 50 grams per wheel.

If you are running a non tubless tire with Stans fluid on a tubless ready rim (me).  You will save around 100-110 grams per wheel.  200 grams of rotating weight is fairly significant.

The biggest difference to me in running tubless, is the feel of the tire and the increase contact patch.

I run 29-30 psi front and rear and I weight around 185 right now.  When I ran tubes and was much heavier I ran 32 psi......

"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 11:19:33 AM »
another question, does the lower psi make rolling resistance more due to more surface in contact with the ground?

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Crazed Bunny with limited traction on leaves.
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2009, 11:20:15 AM »
another question, does the lower psi make rolling resistance more due to more surface in contact with the ground?

yes, but it is minimal.
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

BeerCan

• Global Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 11:38:50 AM »
I am 250 and I run my rear tire at 30psi and my front at 28psi.  I am not the most graceful rider and I have not dinged a rim yet.  I use stans rims and regular tires w/o tubes.  Favorite 29er tires for around here are rear - Specialized Captain Control or Maxxis Crossmark and front - Specialized Resolution Pro or Bontrager jones xr
Pain is Temporary, Quitting is Forever
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 19 queries.