Author Topic: Excuses  (Read 3326 times)

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
Excuses
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:52:50 PM »
Defendant: Catman

Accusation: Making up excuses to miss work days

Defense:

This work day: Buddy just bought an Ellsworth and desperatly wants to ride it of course. He waited at least an extra week and a half to get it due to shipping problems. Two other couples are coming and we are gonna do a BBQ.

Solution:I'll tell them I can't go cause I have to be at the work day

Last work day: At work Friday finishing up so I could leave for Asheville NC Friday night or Saturday which ever worked out best.

Solution:Should have taken a vacation day Friday for the work day and then postponed my trip to Asheville due to a additional Saturday work day.

One before that: Had tickets to the Supercross in Jacksonville with people carpooling with me.

Solution: Should have sold my ticket on ebay and stayed home to attend the work day.

One before that: One of my best buds was having a 10 yr anniversary party over at the beach.

Solution: Tell best bud I cannot attend due to the work day at Alafia. Sent gift UPS and tell him to say hi to everyone for me.

And I believe I was at Santos for the one before that.Had people driving up from south Fl for that trip and I was loaning my spare bikes out to them.

Solution: Tell them to go * themselves and attend work day.

Several Alafia workdays were cancelled if I remember correctly due to the work that Boyette required. Didn't feel obligated to work at Boyette cause at the time I didn't ride there.

I'm going to break for recess now
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Online slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Excuses
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:42:02 PM »
Catman, I really wouldn't care, and I'm kinda just busting your balls some, but....

You were the one that started the X-Games trail crew thread, we need to get out and do this and that, yadda, yadda. That is why I feel the need to bust your balls about it. Nothing personal, ya know?

Alafia main workday never changes unless it gets cancelled, it is the first Saturday of every month, and you haven't made one yet. I realize people have things going on when I throw something up in the middle of the month, and that is why I try to plan something small.

So the one in July is on the 4th, can I count you in? ;D

Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Online Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Excuses
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 10:01:00 PM »
Several Alafia workdays were cancelled if I remember correctly due to the work that Boyette required. <---Um, not true... Didn't feel obligated to work at Boyette cause at the time I didn't ride there.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
Excuses
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 10:23:21 PM »
Several Alafia workdays were cancelled if I remember correctly due to the work that Boyette required. <---Um, not true... Didn't feel obligated to work at Boyette cause at the time I didn't ride there.

Correction, there were a few workdays cancelled due to all the new trail building going on at Boyette. Others were cancelled for different reasons.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
Excuses
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »
Catman, I really wouldn't care, and I'm kinda just busting your balls some, but....

You were the one that started the X-Games trail crew thread, we need to get out and do this and that, yadda, yadda. That is why I feel the need to bust your balls about it. Nothing personal, ya know?

Alafia main workday never changes unless it gets cancelled, it is the first Saturday of every month, and you haven't made one yet. I realize people have things going on when I throw something up in the middle of the month, and that is why I try to plan something small.

So the one in July is on the 4th, can I count you in? ;D

Yes, I posted the X-Games thing and I certainly haven't forgotten about it. I can honestly tell you that I've felt bad about each and every work day I missed but it has to do with my sense of resposibility to the trails I ride every week not guilt trips from the forum. I haven't been riding regularly for all that long and had been truthfully ignorant of how trails were built and maintained. For a long time I thought that the park rangers did it. Many people I've talked to don't read the Swamp signs and are just out there to have a good time. It is the regular users like myself who should take up the slack and although intentions are good they don't get anything done. I am unwilling to cancel plans for a work day but you won't hear me make some crap up. I'd just not reply to the posts if I didn't want to do trail work.

Calling people out on the forum will only drive them away from doing trail work. Like I've said in the past, there are more than a few folks out there that have no desire to join the Swamp due to the trail nazi image that manifest itself sometimes. That equals less $$$ for the club. I went to a few work days at WTA and lost interest quickly due to one of the leaders horrible attitude towards what I'd assume are mostly innocent people riding by while we were working. They either didn't know about the work day, are not in the club, or just don't want to help so leave them the hell alone. I doubt they'd knowing head out there to get barked at when they're trying to enjoy a ride with friends.

I love a good debate though so in a weird twist I may take drastic steps if necessary to make it to the next work day so I can argue about something. How about reopening the short cut from Gatorback to Bridges? I think X-games guys do more trail work than XC dudes. I see Slowfatguy skidding on the downhills all the time. That should get us started but if it doesn't work I'll come to the next skills day and disagree with everything you say :D

Offline jmdeluca05

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Excuses
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »
If you ever need to rely on anyone to do trail work you can always use the Else Family.  Everybody and Somebody always show up on my behalf, and I never have to ask them to.  Although sometimes their brother Knowone comes out and nothing gets done. 

Just a little humor...... ;D

Lighten up......trail work is all volunteer.....NOBODY ever needs to make an excuse for missing a work day. 
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 11:22:12 PM by voodoo29 »

Offline drb81

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
Excuses
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 07:42:47 AM »
NOBODY ever needs to make an excuse for missing a work day.

you're right, there is no excuse ;D
[/don]

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
Excuses
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 07:56:50 AM »
I found this web site with 200 excuses for not coming to work. How many work days are there in a year?

http://madtbone.tripod.com/work.htm

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
Excuses
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 07:58:40 AM »
NOBODY ever needs to make an excuse for missing a work day.

you're right, there is no excuse ;D

I can't make it to the work day cause drb81's truck has broken down and I had to go show him how to fix it  :D

Online slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
Excuses
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 08:03:42 AM »
Catman, I don't normally call anyone out to do trailwork, because I feel the same as you do about it. It seems to breed resentment in most people. Come out to Alafia and work with me, you won't hear what you heard out at WTA. But you have to realize we are all human, and there are alot of people that are tired of doing all the work. Some are gonna complain all the time, some won't, it's just people.

If you had never started that X-games thread I never would have replied the way I did. I had a buddy that would constantly complain about the trails, too easy, too eroded, need to be trimmed, somebody needs to get out here and take care of this stuff. From a guy that never does trailwork complaining to someone that is always doing trailwork, it gets kinda old, ya know?
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
Excuses
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 08:15:32 AM »
I use to complain all the time (perhaps SFG was referencing me?). I did something about it and now I have more hours then some of you tards. So there..   :-*

I will see you guys this Saturday for workday, but I am definitely taking off next Saturday for a Santos run.

I posted in another thread, is this Saturday workday at 7am or 9am?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:17:54 AM by KRUNNCHERO »
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
Excuses
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 08:23:10 AM »
I make it a point to volunteer for trail work whenever I can. It may be only 12 hours or so per year, but I think ANY time someone gives of their time to do trail work we should ALL appreciate it. There is a few on here that think because they have more spare time and can dedicate it to trail work that gives them the right to chastise other people and other CLUBS about how much or little trail work they do. Like Catman said, I do trail work out of my sence of giving back to the trails, not due to being guilted into it by some wise ass that judges everyone else on how much trail work they do (not aimed at you Garry, SFG, or Wes). That attitude does turn a large number of people away from doing trail work because they feel unless they can do tons of hours, they wont be appriciated and the immature attitude of a few drive them away. Nobody likes getting thier balls busted or guilt trips about anything, especially VOLUNTEER trail work......
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
Excuses
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »
I make it a point to volunteer for trail work whenever I can. It may be only 12 hours or so per year, but I think ANY time someone gives of their time to do trail work we should ALL appreciate it. There is a few on here that think because they have more spare time and can dedicate it to trail work that gives them the right to chastise other people and other CLUBS about how much or little trail work they do. Like Catman said, I do trail work out of my sence of giving back to the trails, not due to being guilted into it by some wise ass that judges everyone else on how much trail work they do (not aimed at you Garry, SFG, or Wes). That attitude does turn a large number of people away from doing trail work because they feel unless they can do tons of hours, they wont be appriciated and the immature attitude of a few drive them away. Nobody likes getting thier balls busted or guilt trips about anything, especially VOLUNTEER trail work......

Sure hope that wasn't directed towards me.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
Excuses
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2009, 08:28:39 AM »
Why would you say that?
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
Excuses
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2009, 08:29:31 AM »
Why would you say that?

MTBR thread.