Author Topic: Excuses  (Read 3325 times)

Offline Garry

• SWAMP Club Advisor
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
Excuses
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2009, 08:30:35 AM »
...I don't normally call anyone out to do trailwork, because I feel the same as you do about it. It seems to breed resentment in most people.
We are trying to work on this as more trails, more users, more options of riding styles evolve in this sport.  Getting more people involved and helping on workdays, and educating people on what it takes to build and maintain sustainable trails in a more friendly format seems to be slowly coming along.

Come out to Alafia and work with me, you won't hear what you heard out at WTA. But you have to realize we are all human, and there are alot of people that are tired of doing all the work...
This is one of the areas I want to change, and have found myself guilty of as well. In most walks of life it is easy to fall into this category when you are passionate and protective of something that has been fought so hard for from all angles.  Here again, educating folks about what it takes to build/maintain then finding ways to involve them where they will want to participate, we need to work on.

... I had a buddy that would constantly complain about the trails, too easy, too eroded, need to be trimmed, somebody needs to get out here and take care of this stuff. From a guy that never does trailwork complaining to someone that is always doing trailwork, it gets kinda old, ya know?
This is easily the number one reason you would have heard people barking about coming out to help.  No excuse there, we need to work on that.  Once again educating people of who it is doing the work - "you and me" (meaning anybody using the trails we enjoy).  It does get frustrating, but allowing ourselves to fall prey to that frustration doesn't make things better.  We're working on it.

Offline drb81

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
Excuses
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2009, 08:36:23 AM »
NOBODY ever needs to make an excuse for missing a work day.

you're right, there is no excuse ;D

I can't make it to the work day cause drb81's truck has broken down and I had to go show him how to fix it  :D

say's the man who couldn't wrench so he has to sell new ones now  :D
[/don]

Offline Daniel

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Excuses
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2009, 08:43:42 AM »
I will definately be out this weekend for work. Rachel will be along as well.
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents" H.P. Lovecraft

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
Excuses
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2009, 08:48:34 AM »
Great post Garry. My point is you get more response with Honey than Vinegar. KRUNNCHERO, my post was aimmed at ANYONE who gives grief to people who do any amount of trail work. You will not get people to help if you yell at them on the trail as they ride by, give them the impression that what they do is not enough, or even question "how much trail work did you do?". That just drives people away...

Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
Excuses
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »
Thanks for the clarification Darrinw2001. I only or will only (literally - not figuratively) yell at someone for riding trails that are not official. For instance, if I saw someone riding that shortcut from Gatorback to Bridges or the bypasses on Rollercoaster, I would yell at them. Those things really agitate me because when I am riding, I have to stop what I am doing and attend to it or report it back so that we can waste some time during our workdays to fix it.

Aside from that, we don’t intentionally want to bust balls, we just want more people helping move earth. Because that is exactly what trail building is...
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline jmdeluca05

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
Excuses
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2009, 09:10:16 AM »
Just for the record anyone can contact a trail boss and go out on their own time and trim.  Regardless if its just for an hour, and if trail work is not your thing then there are other ways to help out.  For instance I just broke 2 pairs of clippers, at Boyette last month, and wouldn't mind having a pair donated to me.  I have my eye on a nice pair at Home Depot if anyone is interested.

Seriously, I personally have a lot of respect for the folks who put in major hours doing trail work.  Some might say they have the time and that's why they do it, but the fact is it is back breaking work, and I commend anyone for their efforts.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
Excuses
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 09:46:07 AM »
I make it a point to volunteer for trail work whenever I can. It may be only 12 hours or so per year, but I think ANY time someone gives of their time to do trail work we should ALL appreciate it. There is a few on here that think because they have more spare time and can dedicate it to trail work that gives them the right to chastise other people and other CLUBS about how much or little trail work they do. Like Catman said, I do trail work out of my sence of giving back to the trails, not due to being guilted into it by some wise ass that judges everyone else on how much trail work they do (not aimed at you Garry, SFG, or Wes). That attitude does turn a large number of people away from doing trail work because they feel unless they can do tons of hours, they wont be appriciated and the immature attitude of a few drive them away. Nobody likes getting thier balls busted or guilt trips about anything, especially VOLUNTEER trail work......

Sure hope that wasn't directed towards me.

I hope it was! I can't stand that Krunnch guy. Always crashing in front of me causing my heart rate to go down.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Smite master!
    • Raymond James Financial Services
Excuses
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 09:48:27 AM »
Heart? I don't need no stinkin' heart!
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
Excuses
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 10:04:30 AM »
...I don't normally call anyone out to do trailwork, because I feel the same as you do about it. It seems to breed resentment in most people.
We are trying to work on this as more trails, more users, more options of riding styles evolve in this sport.  Getting more people involved and helping on workdays, and educating people on what it takes to build and maintain sustainable trails in a more friendly format seems to be slowly coming along.

Come out to Alafia and work with me, you won't hear what you heard out at WTA. But you have to realize we are all human, and there are alot of people that are tired of doing all the work...
This is one of the areas I want to change, and have found myself guilty of as well. In most walks of life it is easy to fall into this category when you are passionate and protective of something that has been fought so hard for from all angles.  Here again, educating folks about what it takes to build/maintain then finding ways to involve them where they will want to participate, we need to work on.

... I had a buddy that would constantly complain about the trails, too easy, too eroded, need to be trimmed, somebody needs to get out here and take care of this stuff. From a guy that never does trailwork complaining to someone that is always doing trailwork, it gets kinda old, ya know?
This is easily the number one reason you would have heard people barking about coming out to help.  No excuse there, we need to work on that.  Once again educating people of who it is doing the work - "you and me" (meaning anybody using the trails we enjoy).  It does get frustrating, but allowing ourselves to fall prey to that frustration doesn't make things better.  We're working on it.

Garry, I think you do a good job making people aware of the work that is needed but not condemning them to a external damnation if they can't or don't want to help. For as many hours has you've put in you fully deserve to post a rant now and then. If folks complain about the trails (I've been guilty) then that opens them up for a hard time as long as they are aware of the trail building/maintenance process. I chastise myself as well as my riding buddies if I hear a "they need to fix this" "I hate this new trail they built" "why can't we trailblaze" etc.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
Excuses
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2009, 10:12:05 AM »
NOBODY ever needs to make an excuse for missing a work day.

you're right, there is no excuse ;D

I can't make it to the work day cause drb81's truck has broken down and I had to go show him how to fix it  :D

say's the man who couldn't wrench so he has to sell new ones now  :D

It's worse than that drb. I couldn't stand getting dirty so now I'm a technical trainer. Finger nails are now in prestine condition but skin is ruined from the parts washer.  :'(   If I was a salesman I'd be one of those fancy carbon fiber bikes.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
Excuses
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 11:00:58 AM »
if lots of people showed up to every workday, no one would ever need to request help or "call people out".  while i am dreaming, if 10 people showed up every month, the moonscape and rollercoaster extensionswould be done.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
Excuses
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 01:01:56 PM »
Don't do trail work with eclark! He'll subject you to hours of that devil music that all the kids are listening to these days.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
Excuses
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2009, 01:15:19 PM »
90, thats all i have to say.  90, unles 0.25 hours have passed, then maybe 91.

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
Excuses
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2009, 01:30:18 PM »
Somebody has to take the smite hit to keep things interesting. I still got love for you eclark, but I did smite you since I want to keep you on track for 90+ smites when you hit my post count.

Offline gigicoolman

• First Bike
Excuses
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2009, 08:35:47 PM »
Went on Thursday and Moonscape was really slick and same with Bridges on the big drops after the horseshoe. I heard that Rockgarden was flooded but I'll see for myself. I hope they get better!   :)