Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Looking for a new riser handle bar  (Read 2213 times)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
Looking for a new riser handle bar
« on: July 23, 2009, 09:18:32 PM »
My trek 8000 has fast geometry. It comes with a straight bar 630mm wide which is way too wide. I kinda want to bring myself up a little bit.  Im looking for a riser bar under $100.00. It has to be lite but responsibly lite because im 240 lbs. Im not knowledgable about the dimensions I might need. Whats a good brand and should I get alloy or carbon? My bike  is black, red ,white so you dont recommend a pink one. Can you pros help an old dude out?

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
Re: Looking for a new riser handle bar
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2009, 09:23:06 PM »
I have Easton Monkey Lite XC's on the Trail Bike and SL's on the race bike. Both have taken a beating with no issue. They come in a low and high rise, I am using the low rise on both bikes. There are plenty others out there, but went with the Easton reputation.

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2009, 09:29:45 PM »
so theres flat,low rise and highrise. I guess low rise is for xc and hi is for dh or if you want a more upright riding position?whats a good width? what about carbon?

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »
My trek 8000 has fast geometry. It comes with a straight bar 630mm wide which is way too wide. I kinda want to bring myself up a little bit.  Im looking for a riser bar under $100.00. It has to be lite but responsibly lite because im 240 lbs. Im not knowledgable about the dimensions I might need. Whats a good brand and should I get alloy or carbon? My bike  is black, red ,white so you dont recommend a pink one. Can you pros help an old dude out?

You could trim the bar down but....the narrower the bar the more responsive or "twitchy" your steering might be.  If you have room w/ your headset spacers you could raise the stem to bring the bar a bit higher.

You can also try a different stem length and degree of rise.  Allot of options for adjusting the comfort and feel of your ride.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 09:40:34 PM by bikehard »
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2009, 09:37:22 PM »
The Monkey Lite XC's are carbon and have proven to be very durable. They come in a craze wide width, I want to say mine were 28". I cut 1" from both sides for a finished width of 26"

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2009, 09:47:28 PM »
It seems all riser bars are crazy wide. mine is 620mm but all the risers are around 680mm. trimming would be an option as I have done that before.

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2009, 09:51:27 PM »
Wrap the area to be cut with a wrap of masking tape and use a fresh 32 tooth hacksaw and viola, Custom width handlebars :)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 09:59:10 PM »
I was looking at one of proedge vid riding ridgeline and there was a spot where the trail went between 2 trees and the bark was worn off at handlebar level.  I think it was ridgeline. Ive never ridden that

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 10:01:04 PM »
You say your bars are too wide but they are 24.8" wide.  This is very narrow and more along the lines of XC style geo which is what your bike is.  I think if you go any narrower this will just enhance the "fast" geometry with overly sensitive steering through slower techy stuff and less stability on the downhills. 

Certain modifications provide different results in different areas of your bikes handling.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 10:05:23 PM »

are you 100% sure you want risers? I just slapped Easton Monkeylite XC(LR) on my Wife's and SL's(LR) on my bike. Took 1" 1/4 out of both of them.

Anyhow, I now have an Excellent Cond Easton EC90 that i'm going to be selling. it's 560mm 3degree Sweep. 120g (31.8 Clamp)

I also have a Monkelite CT2 from my Wife's old bike that has been cut to 584mm but it's a 25.4 Clamp

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 10:31:51 PM »
Well the biggest reason I want risers is (dont laugh) I cant get behind the seat on quick decents like you skinny dudes and find myself perched percariously (ERR..) over the handlebars. The fast goemetry doesnt help and find that the steering is kinda slow plus the head of swamp club bent my current bars

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 08:16:40 AM »
Well the biggest reason I want risers is (dont laugh) I cant get behind the seat on quick decents like you skinny dudes and find myself perched percariously (ERR..) over the handlebars. The fast goemetry doesnt help and find that the steering is kinda slow plus the head of swamp club bent my current bars

IMO risers make the stering even slower. i'm having a tough time getting used to mine even after i cut them down. I've also been riding flat bars for 6-7yrs.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 08:17:25 AM »
Lower your seat for decents. Raise it back up for flats and climbing.

Offline steve

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 08:27:09 AM »
Get fit on your bike it makes a huge difference

Offline Marcel Aguirre

• Yellow Jersey
  • I'llUseYou4SandBags
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 09:43:42 AM »
Get fit on your bike it makes a huge difference
++  But if you thought $60 to fix your brakes was too much you are not going to like to pay for someone to manhandle your outer surfaces to take measuremens and adjust your bike parts.  But do consider it, it makes a HUDGE difference.

......the head of swamp club bent my current bars
Whatever happened to OLD DUDE?  Don't worry, he knows what you look like and will splatter the trail with the rest of your bike parts next time...   ;D

Advertisement: