SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 08:56:13 PM] FACTORe: the temp account has been deleted

[Yesterday at 09:12:50 PM] mksandoz: YOYOYOYOYO

[Yesterday at 09:13:11 PM] Paintboy: I can't keep up 

[Yesterday at 09:14:02 PM] Paintboy: Fe were do you find the time ?

[Yesterday at 09:40:58 PM] FACTORe: lol

[Yesterday at 09:41:33 PM] FACTORe: it is amazing I can find time between all the charts training and eating cupcakes

[Yesterday at 11:40:48 PM] jakethesnake0413: just got in from Oregon had a great time will post some pics tomorrow

[Today at 07:48:04 AM] BillT: i like cupcakes

[Today at 07:48:14 AM] BillT: but i'd like to see some oregon riding even more

[Today at 07:48:21 AM] BillT: mckenzie river trail?

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums are available to anyone who wants to join in, register now for free by clicking the register link near the top of this page. Registered guests who login have access to additional boards and topics. Please note that all official SWAMP club communications still come from the Yahoo! e-group.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old Bike project: Fun or can of worms?  (Read 134 times)

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Old Bike project: Fun or can of worms?
« on: July 29, 2009, 05:59:32 PM »
I have found my first mountain bike. A friend still had it in his barn. I am going to have it shipped from CA. It is a 1992 rock Hopper. I paid $500 for it back then. This bike rode all over CA with me in my 20's including the Downieville rides 20 or 30 times. I must have put 10,000 miles on it. It has huge sentimental value for me so I'd like to fix it up.
Problem is it has a 1" head tube. Are forks/shocks still made at 1"? Can I make it a single speed? I dont have the original forks and the old Manitou 4's are probably shot.
What do you guys think? Can I resurrect my old love? here is an old picture and for the record, I did not put the mirror on!!!
paul
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Alan

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
Re: Old Bike project: Fun or can of worms?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 07:17:07 PM »
Checkout mtbr.com's vintage bike forum.  You can still find old style forks out there...mostly rebuilds. 

It isn't old enough to be a terribly huge can of worms since probably 99% of everything on that bike could be traded out for modern parts.  Looks like a fun project. 

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 07:26:18 PM »
I'd take it on as a project for the sentimental value alone.
"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 07:43:01 PM »
Do it!!!! I sold a Trek 930 to my neighbor 3 years ago for $100, he has'nt been on it once ??? I rode that thing in several MS150's and everywhere else. Pimped it with a RS Mag 21 air shock with like 50mm? :D  of travel. It was a sweet Cromoly welded in the USA frame in a flat purple to green fade and I want it back DANG IT!!!! ;D I say go single speed.

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 07:56:38 PM »
I actually found a sight that sells replacement parts for the old Manitou. I loved that shock. Not good for the big hits but great on the washboard stuff.
I am starting to get fired up! I need to get it sent out this week....
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Garry

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 08:16:38 PM »
Man, don't they have a late 80's version of that bike in the Smithsonian?  I pretty sure that's about the year they have.  Check this place for hard to find parts.
http://www.thethirdhand.com/index.cgi

Redriderpro

• Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 10:21:27 PM »
I sold mine 10 years ago, one of current ride buds still has his, converted it to a ss last year. He also bought a 3" travel Marz fork with the intent of sending the fork to Marz to have the steerer changed to 1", but just never did it.

There are a number of 1" forks on ebay right now, but I caution you, going back, sometimes finds the old mount not as good as you remember.

catman

• SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 09:16:47 AM »
I had a blown manitou fork like that one left over from an unofficial frankenbike and put it on ebay just for kicks. Damn thing sold in hours if I remember correctly. I think I got like $40 for it in non-functional condition. Guy who bought seemed totally stoked.

I have tossed a lot of old junk like that over the years but won't do that again.
Well, at least I'll have cool scars to show my grandkids.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 24 queries.