Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: If you want something done right ,you got to do it yourself  (Read 3519 times)

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Favorite Trail: Boyette
  • My Bike: 2012 Trek EX 9.7 OCLV Mountain XTR/XT- RLC-FIT/Evol re:aktiv factory
If you want something done right ,you got to do it yourself
« on: August 02, 2009, 06:49:54 PM »
You all know about my head on collision. A broken clamp on my ft brake lever and it being a white juicy five lever (special order I thought) I thought I needed to take bike where I bought it as it was a oem item.
 3 days later they informed me that white was no longer in stock.
They suggested I shop Ebay. Found one, ordered it and they actually sent 2 front brake assembly's.Cool, So when I ordered it i called shop for them to order a rotor as it was bent as well as my ft rim.
7 days later when I was picking up my bike (I assume they ordered the rotor only after I brought them the brake assembly and not when I ordered it as I was trying to coordanate thier arrivial) He said he had to bleed them even though they came preassembled.
Hyper Kids in car and wanting to get home I paid my bill and left. Got home ,washed bike to get brake fluid off the bike I found that I didnt like the feel of said lever. After asking a few people on this site they said symptoms indicated air in the line. Rather than taking it to another shop I just switched to the other assembly they had sent me in error. An hour later and everything fixed I asked myself why didnt do it myself.
After inspecting the part that was taken off I noticed gouges on the pads. What I assumed was he sqweezed the lever without a rotor present and couldnt pry them apart so he opened them up. I will never doubt my mechanical abilities ever again.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 06:57:58 PM by mmountainbiker »

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
Re: If you want something done right ,you got to do it yourself
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 06:56:51 PM »
take it back...

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
You all know about my head on collision. A broken clamp on my ft brake lever and it being a white juicy five lever (special order I thought) I thought I needed to take bike where I bought it as it was a oem item.
They suggested I shop Ebay. Found one, ordered it and they actually sent 2 front brake assembly's.Cool, So when I ordered it i called shop for them to order a rotor as it was bent as well as my ft rim.
7 days later when I was picking up my bike (I assume they ordered the rotor 4 days after I told them too) He said he had to bleed them even though they came preassembled.
Hyper Kids in car and wanting to get home I paid my bill and left. Got home ,washed bike to get brake fluid off the bike I found that I didnt like the feel of said lever. After asking a few people on this site they said symptoms indicated air in the line. Rather than taking it to another shop I just switched to the other assembly they had sent me in error. An hour later and everything fixed I asked myself why didnt do it myself.
After inspecting the part that was taken off I noticed gouges on the pads. What I assumed was he sqweezed the lever without a rotor present and couldnt pry them apart so he opened them up. I will never doubt my mechanical abilities ever again.

learn to work on your bike and you will always be happier with the outcome.   Brake fluid on your bike??? that stuff will eat through paint!  and the shop left in on there??!!! last time I would go there.
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 07:01:08 PM »
take it back...
Thankfully ebay sent me two instead ot the one I ordered so I used it and did it myself

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 07:03:53 PM »
7 days later when I was picking up my bike (I assume they ordered the rotor 4 days after I told them too) He said he had to bleed them even though they came preassembled.

learn to work on your bike and you will always be happier with the outcome.  Brake fluid on your bike??? that stuff will eat through paint!  and the shop left in on there??!!! last time I would go there.
They did but a dry rag will still leave some residue unlike a soapy rag

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 07:33:25 PM »
Your shop sounds like a bunch of Clowns. I would say they at least owe you a set of pads.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 08:05:59 PM »
There is a special Park tool to keep the pads in good shape when pushing them back out due to lever pull without the wheel installed. Ask me how I know  :-[
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline bikehard

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 08:18:24 PM »
There is a special Park tool to keep the pads in good shape when pushing them back out due to lever pull without the wheel installed. Ask me how I know  :-[

It's called a plastic tire lever!
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

Offline $irWattZZZZ

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Ibis Mojo HDR, WaltWorks 29er,Devinci Atlas, Cannondale EVO
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 09:38:47 PM »
Or better yet the litle plastic wedge that comes shipped in your Hayes caliper, beveled for her pleasure and yours ;D

Offline mmountainbiker

• Ninja Master Cyclist
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 10:55:32 PM »
Your shop sounds like a bunch of Clowns. I would say they at least owe you a set of pads.
actually the guy was pretty cool and knowledgable and I  wanna believe that  it was possible simple mistake or the part wasnt working correctly like he said. But the pads DID show definite damage. Lucky I had a spare. 

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 07:18:53 AM »

A plastic tire lever works great, but it wouldn't really fit in with Catman's mancave and his Snap-On toolboxes.  You know that he has foam inside the drawers with cut outs in them to fit the tools.  ;)
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline drb81

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: is slow
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 08:07:40 AM »

A plastic tire lever works great, but it wouldn't really fit in with Catman's mancave and his Snap-On toolboxes.  You know that he has foam inside the drawers with cut outs in them to fit the tools;)

that means he doesn't have enough tools if he has space for foam.
[/don]

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 10:33:53 AM »
that means he doesn't have enough tools if he has space for foam.

True  :D
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline Garry

• Ride Guide & Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
    • http://garrybikes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 12:43:04 PM »
From the sounds of it I second that...new pads.

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 01:51:40 PM »

A plastic tire lever works great, but it wouldn't really fit in with Catman's mancave and his Snap-On toolboxes.  You know that he has foam inside the drawers with cut outs in them to fit the tools.  ;)

No foam, but you pretty much pegged me on the rest. Lots of racks and socket holders though.  Hell, the caliper tool was pretty cheap so why improvise?

Will have to post pics later for drb81 to eat his words ;)
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Advertisement: