Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Trespassing @ Alafia Don't do What I did!!  (Read 2236 times)

moleminiman

Trespassing @ Alafia Don't do What I did!!
« on: August 03, 2009, 02:25:32 PM »
Well I found out the hard way @ Alafia This weekend. I was at Alafia for my
Bday this weekend and afterwards decided I wanted to camp. I brought my trailer
to a campsite and decided it was getting late, I decided to pay in the morning.
Well about 9pm I get a cop and 2 rangers @ the camper telling me I'm trespassing
and banned from Alafia for 6 months. Well there goes my half of my year pass
FSC Race and Fat Tire Festival Ticket. You can bet I won't volunteer @ this
park again!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: Trespassing @ Alafia Don't do What I did!!
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 02:28:08 PM »
I can't believe that they didn't want to listen to you and give you a chance to pay right then.  especially since you pre-paid for a park pass and have worked out there as a volunteer working on the trails.

is there some sort of appeal that can be done?

moleminiman

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 02:31:39 PM »
Nope I talked to park manager and he can't do anything because they called the sheriff department in.  I was told there needs to be some consequence for my actions by the manager.  I'm not a happy camper!

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 02:46:27 PM »
I got no interest in the ftf ticket, but I will give you a couple bucks for your park membership card.  Heck, the card should still be valid even if you are persona non grata.  Sorry you got in trouble, but aren't all those camp sites in high demand?  Someone got pissed you were squatting and called the popo.  You can have 6 months off of trail work for your troubles, see ya in Feb.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 02:55:36 PM »
DAMN! that sucks dude! its not like you cant ride there again for 6mo though, i'm sure they dont have your pic up @ the ranger's house with a WANTED sign on it.

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 02:56:46 PM »
Sounds like you are mad at the park and the rangers for enforcing the rules, when you should be mad at yourself for not obeying those rules. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but if they had time to call the cops and figure out you hadn't paid by 9, it wasn't that late when you got there. I'm sure they've heard the "I was gonna pay in the morning, honest!" line more than a few times. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 02:56:52 PM »

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Balloon Knot Cycling
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 02:59:11 PM »
Sounds like you are mad at the park and the rangers for enforcing the rules, when you should be mad at yourself for not obeying those rules. Not trying to sound like a jerk, but if they had time to call the cops and figure out you hadn't paid by 9, it wasn't that late when you got there. I'm sure they've heard the "I was gonna pay in the morning, honest!" line more than a few times. Chalk it up as a lesson learned.

I think I'd have to agree with that.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

moleminiman

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 02:59:50 PM »
unfortunately my car is a one and only yellow bus with lots of stickers but will probably have to sneak in someones trunk a couple times.

moleminiman

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 03:01:23 PM »
Time flies when ur in a camper with your girly friend on ur Bday so slowfatguy you see what is important here!

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 03:18:59 PM »
Time flies when ur in a camper with your girly friend on ur Bday so slowfatguy you see what is important here!

Still sounds like someone doesn't like the consequences of their own poor decisions.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

moleminiman

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 03:19:10 PM »
Apparently after talking with the manager @ Alafia Park, I'm lucky they called the sheriff department.  If I got a Trespassing violation from the Park itself you are banned for Life at that State Park. 

Offline catman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2016 Scott Genius 740
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 03:37:01 PM »
I'm gonna toss you a bone mole. It sounds like you are fairly involved with the park as far as being a member and doing trail work and what not. Although I would have probably paid that night since I'm a bit paranoid about that kinda stuff, I can see how you may have just been too comfortable with the place and sort of laid back about handling the business end of the deal. I'm not exactly sure why they called the cops as a first resort. Maybe they get a lot of sh&t from people out there at the campground or something???
I recently camped up in Asheville and since I arrived a little late 9pm I also said to myself that I'll just pay in the morning. The people at the campground were totally cool about it. I was just piggybacking on someone else's site though.

How did you get your trailer through the guard shack without paying for a site?
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 03:42:35 PM »
you would think that a park ranger seeing the SWAMP sticker on the vehicle would knock on the yellow bus and ask first - being that you are more than likely not going to be combative being a swamp member and all

moleminiman

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 03:46:52 PM »
I wasn't sure if I was gonna b camping so I went bik'n all day....when we got done had a BBQ and hung out.  Took camper over to campground.  I know you have to have consequences for your actions but I've always paid......volunteer at the trails....payed for the last 6 years for year pass.  They called sheriff because they probably do get the "I was gonna pay, I swear" act.  I'm kinda glad they were called cause if they weren't the violation is LIFETIME ban, which I think is completely rediculous punishment for such a minor offense.

Advertisement: