Author Topic: Suspension Forks.  (Read 1393 times)

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Suspension Forks.
« on: August 04, 2009, 08:39:00 AM »
Well last night I looked up in SR Suntour's archrives my stock suspension forks weight over 5#'s.  They're an entry level fork that Giant put on my Rincon stock.  They gotta go.  I've been looking at Fox and rock shox... can someone explain how XC, AM, Trail etc differ?? Fox makes a set of 32-F Shocks that weigh like 3.22#'s. I can only imagine the price tag. I'm looking to keep the budget for new forks at $300.  Can anyone recommend some good forks? Or forks to totally stay away from? I need the down low 411 on forks. 

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
Re: Suspension Forks.
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 08:52:54 AM »
If you want to keep it under $300 bucks, stay away from Fox.  Something like a RockShox Tora or Recon would be a considerable improvement compared to the Suntour.
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Online Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
    • Trips for Kids Tampa Home Page
  • My Bike: Current Ride: 2009 Giant Trance X3
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 08:59:57 AM »
you wont find a Fox for under $500... XC= cross country w/ 100mm of travel is mostly what you would need here.

look at the Rockshox SID race at 3.2lbs  http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/FK299A03-Rockshox+Sid+Race+Fork+08.aspx
Please Help Trips for Kids Tampa!
Visit www.mtbyouthride.org to see how!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:04:33 AM »
Sid is an 80 mm fork. It is a terrific fork, but for a little less you can find Rock Shox Reba Race......The Reba is a fork that will do a good job, it is pretty light and has lots of adjustments.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 09:14:43 AM »
Good info guys.  What is the difference in construction between a XC fork and a AM? I mean how the heck do they differ?  My stock shocks have 100mm of travel, so I guess I'll stick with 100, seems to be a middle of the road suspension travel. And looks like my intial budget of $300 for forks is a touch low.... dam. 3.2# would be nice though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 09:17:52 AM by 4x4TampaTaco »

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 09:22:58 AM »
Suggestion... before you start dumping a bunch of money in your rincon, keep an eye on Craig's list to see about getting a better bike, maybe even a full suspension, for the same money it would cost you to throw a bunch of upgrades on this bike.

a lot of people are selling their bikes due to the economy and you may be able to get a really good deal on a much better bike.

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 09:23:04 AM »
The new SID is 100mm, it will also cost you more $$$ than the Fox. Look at the REBA, around 3.5 lbs best bang for the $$$

Offline Triple T

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Likes to pose in the parking lot.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »
Good info guys.  What is the difference in construction between a XC fork and a AM? I mean how the heck do they differ?  My stock shocks have 100mm of travel, so I guess I'll stick with 100, seems to be a middle of the road suspension travel. And looks like my intial budget of $300 for forks is a touch low.... dam. 3.2# would be nice though.

AM forks have more travel
Ibis Mojo SL-23.81 lbs.
Ibis Tranny-20.75 lbs.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 09:29:57 AM »
AH, more travel... gotcha.  And yes the craigs list is a good idea also.  But if I start throwing upgrades at this bike, eventually the frame will get swapped out too.  That's how I built all my 20" bmx bikes. I'd buy a bare frame and pick and chose each part and build it myself. I guess maybe that mentality doesn't work in MTB?? Theres obviously a lot more parts on these bikes!

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 09:54:55 AM »
The new SID is 100mm, it will also cost you more $$$ than the Fox. Look at the REBA, around 3.5 lbs best bang for the $$$

I should have said: That Sid is only 80mm :D .......

Reba is the best bang for the buck.

Offline BillT

• INCONCEIVABLE
  • Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: Intense Uzzi VPX w/ 'Slacker' dropouts
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 10:10:33 AM »
The new Rock Shox products are really nice and so are the Fox, it is just that Fox commands a higher premium.
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

Online Darrinw2001

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 10:11:26 AM »

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 10:33:11 AM »
Suggestion... before you start dumping a bunch of money in your rincon, keep an eye on Craig's list to see about getting a better bike, maybe even a full suspension, for the same money it would cost you to throw a bunch of upgrades on this bike.

a lot of people are selling their bikes due to the economy and you may be able to get a really good deal on a much better bike.

I agree with Darrin, but sometimes it is fun to upgrade your first bike regardless of whether it is the smart thing to do. If you're not in a hurry to have a fancy bike you can use this first bike to learn how to do some repairs yourself. I wouldn't put more than like $100-$150 in a fork (rock shoc dart 2 maybe) unless you're certain that this is gonna be a slow upgrade process that includes other higher end components and eventually a new frame. If your bike came with a SR Suntour that is a sign that the bike may not be worthy of anything other than just nicer entry level parts. If you're planning on getting a full suspension frame one day, you should spec the fork so that it will work well with the type of bike you eventually want to have. Keep in mind that almost no one is willing to pay extra for a upgraded low end bike so you may be better off keeping this one as a spare if/when you get a higher end ride. Low end hardtail (frame only) are almost worthless so you might want to keep that in mind as well. Although, some people buy lower end hardtails for single speed projects.

Ask around on here and you'll probably find someone willing to sell you a decent used fork for a pretty good price.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 10:33:34 AM »
wow. Yup time to hit craigslist on lunch break and in the evening.  In the mean time I'll keep looking at upgrades and doing some.  Those Reba shocks, they make 3 levels of them. Team, Race & SL. What the heck is the difference? I've never seen so many niches under another niche as MTB'n.

My first thoughs were to upgrade items and eventually replace the the frame with a full suspension.  Like I said before, I've always done this on my BMX racing bikes... they were always a mish mash of parts, built from the frame up. So I already know my Cheap frame, cheap forks will be phased out...  I'll keep some parts for spares, and sell/toss the others.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 10:37:38 AM by 4x4TampaTaco »

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 10:56:26 AM »
With forks, you pay for adjustment capabilities.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »
My main concern is weight.  As long as they are suspension 100mm forks... that are light weight, good to go. (as long as I can afford them.)

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 11:21:11 AM »
check ebay for a reba

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 11:30:00 AM »
What are the differences within the Rebas? Team/Race/SL.  Looks like the going price for a NEW Reba is a bit over $400....  $420ish.  Not sure what model Reba they are though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:33:15 AM by 4x4TampaTaco »

Online Scott

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 11:43:29 AM »
The Team is top dog with the Black Box motion control, same as on the SID's. The Race and SL feature the tried and true RS motion control. I believe the SL is the striped down and lightest version of the 3 and can be found in the $300 range if you shop around, I got an unused 06 on ebay last year for $200. You may consider a Like New used Reba, just make sure the steerer tube is long enough for your application.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 11:52:06 AM »
thanks for the explanation. The SL is what I want. Basic, light and cheap. 10-4 on checking the steer tube length. Been there done that got the T-shirt. I was only 14yrs old but that lesson still lingers lol.  That'd be great if I could get a new older model for a good price. Man you guys are full of information and help.  I just want to get skooled in the bike tech dept so I can be done with it and get out there and ride.