Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: WTF  (Read 5215 times)

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
WTF
« on: August 04, 2009, 11:13:27 AM »
I'm sure I'm gonna piss someone off with this, but I'm prepared...

Why is the thread about Forrest and Alafia locked?!  Are we afraid that merely discussion about situations and consequences with the park are going to ruin things?  I certainly hope not.  I'm all for diplomacy to get somewhere, but no one is bashing the park, or even their decisions - just discussing them, and some venting from Forrest about being banned.

No one agrees with every decision, but last time I checked this wasn't Russia - thanks Ray!!  ;)  (especially not Stalin's Russia).  So please tell me we are not censoring here!

On another note, I've gotta defend my bro here a bit....sure he could have done something differently, but really do we feel that self-righteous that we need to say, "well you should really look in the mirror and realized that you F'd up rather than be frustrated with the situation and venting."  Can you tell me you wouldn't be frustrated and vent - highly doubtful!  Come on guys, Forrest has even said that he does realize that he is fortunate (given the other potential consequences).  Not that I necessarily agree from what I know (realizing that I wasn't there).
Work, what's that?!  Oh, s*** I'm late!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
Re: WTF
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 11:25:02 AM »
from reading Art's reply on the swamp yahoo newsgroup after talking to the park rangers, there were a lot of parts of the story that were left out.  btw - I hate censorship too

Offline MtKillanewbieDH

• Forum Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • roadie
  • Favorite Trail: BullJake
  • My Bike: Trucker
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 11:35:38 AM »
perhaps information was left out of the story as described on the forum that led to the state park staff being unfairly demonized. i dont think we ought to cause any drama or ill-feelings to the state park staff when our continuing access to the trails seems fragile and tenuous. i oppose 'censorship' of all kinds too but this is a private forum and the will of those in charge is law.

remember that the swamp leaders have not their own or your individual interests in mind, but the interests of local mountain bikers as a whole.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:37:54 AM by mksandoz »
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx
Simplify and add lightness - Colin Chapman

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 11:49:12 AM »
Fragile relations for access - been there at several places for the last 6 years.  I understand this.  I reiterate my previous statement that nothing has been said bashing the park, etc.

We are all adults here (well maybe not), but the meaining is still the same.  I'm also not bashing intentions (if this is why the posting was locked).  Let's have a little more faith in the SWAMP members and biking community on this forum.  If there is a concern about a topic, say something, don't lock it autonmatically, assuming that we are collectively assured of saying something drastic.  And frankly, the will of a few doesn't make it the best decision, law or not!

If this is not why the thread is locked, you have my apologies!

Offline FACTORe

• Yellow Jersey
  • team - independent self supported
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 11:52:44 AM »
maybe they didn't feel it was right to post the details of what really happened so they locked it to keep speculation under control.

but that is speculation

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 11:54:49 AM »
One thing I forgot to add, I don't think there is anyone on this board that would not agree that they are thankful to State Parks for the trails we have there - please keep that in mind when you post your disagreements with me.

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 11:56:38 AM »
Could be, but it appears that this is serving as a deterant even for what Forrest has said happened.....not a bad thing.  Hell, Forrest even titled the post "Don't Do What I Did."

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 11:56:57 AM »
Ahahahaha, I didn't even realize that thread was locked.  Too funny.  Forrest was getting a little beat down for doing something a little dumb, but he totally manned up and said he was at fault.  It didn't seem like anyone was bashing the park people.  I wonder what got left out of the initial report that is so hush hush.  Were they "busy" when the popo got there?

And by the way, happy birthday Forrest!!!  Nothing says happy birthday like waking up in the pen.   

Offline cgarolr

• Cycling Sherpa
    • Tampa Cigar Roller Services
  • Favorite Trail: Alafia
  • My Bike: 2011 Redline Monocog Rigid SS 29er 32x17!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 12:02:27 PM »
Not that I camp much (ever), but I have the pass and was unaware that camping costs extra dinero per visit.
Add something cool to your party or function...have a cigar roller!   www.CigarCreations.com

Dropped my kid on Halloween :(www.YouTube.com - UPDATE - Was shown on AFV on ABC in Feb 2012!

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2009, 12:02:43 PM »
Well Eric it is Forrest - hahahahaha.  You can't fault a guy for taking the opportunity to get his rocks off on his birthday after a full day or riding, I mean that would just be silly..... :D

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2009, 12:28:08 PM »
There is usually 3 sides to every story. One guys side, the other guys side, and somewhere down the middle is the truth. ;)

Oh, I'd like to add, having a SWAMP sticker on the back of your car and/or doing a bunch of volunteer work isn't a get out of jail free card. You still have to obey the rules. :)
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Tony Buchman

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
  • My Bike: '08 Giant Trance X2, 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2009, 12:56:08 PM »
There is usually 3 sides to every story. One guys side, the other guys side, and somewhere down the middle is the truth. ;)

Oh, I'd like to add, having a SWAMP sticker on the back of your car and/or doing a bunch of volunteer work isn't a get out of jail free card. You still have to obey the rules. :)
+1
I became insane with long intervals of horrible sanity.

Offline eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 12:57:50 PM »
I heard a swamp sticker will get you out of a ft meade speeding ticket, any truth to that rumor?

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2009, 01:06:50 PM »
I heard a swamp sticker will get you out of a ft meade speeding ticket, any truth to that rumor?

No truth there, at least it didn't work for me. That's why I don't drive through Ft Meade anymore! :D
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Barry Reimer

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 01:14:21 PM »

Thanks to boy scout troop # 86351 for pointing it out again that if you don't follow the rules, there will be consequences  :P   Now get your a%$es back in line!!  ;)

Advertisement: