Sorry, you must be logged in to use the shoutbox!

Author Topic: Cyclometer opinions?  (Read 5626 times)

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
Cyclometer opinions?
« on: August 04, 2009, 09:23:46 PM »
Looking for a computer gizmo to give me some telemetry such as speed, odometer, etc.  I know I want a wireless one, seems like it would make life easier. What are some data points we really need. I don't want to buy one and then later on find out it's lacking.  I found one at AJ's for like $50 that even has Temp.

Offline Darrinw2001

• At least this is a Healthy Obsession, right?
  • Yellow Jersey
  • aka "The OGRE" - Elite Epic Gonzo Soul Rider
  • My Bike: 2012 Salsa EL Mariachi Steel 29er and 2012 Salsa HorseThief
Re: Cyclometer opinions?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:30:20 PM »
you can get a re-furbished Garmin Edge 305 gps computer w/ heart rate monitor and cadence sensor for about $130... you can do much much more with it than a plain old computer...

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:31:39 PM »
wow.  that would be nice... GPS on the handle bars. That would be awsome. I'd feel more comfortable out there when I ride with me and just one other. My rookie arse luck I'd get lost. lol.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • obsessed...............
  • My Bike: A Kouple of Kool Konas....and a new plastic Titus....
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 10:10:18 PM »
The GPS units are notoriously inaccurate in their mileage measurement. They are cool toys, but you can measure speed, average speed, and distance with most.....I would recommend Cateye as very reliable, but there are other brands that do a good job.

If you are looking to do upgrades on your bike, you probably don't want to spend a bunch on one of these. The basics will work well. When your bike is all blinged out, then it would make more sense.

Just one man's opinion. ;D

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:13:47 PM »
I always had good luck with the Planet Bike computers, but I never had a wireless one. I like my GPS, it has some neat features, but isn't always dead on for some stuff either. It always seems to read just a little short.
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:19:37 PM »
I always had good luck with the Planet Bike computers, but I never had a wireless one. I like my GPS, it has some neat features, but isn't always dead on for some stuff either. It always seems to read just a little short.

Planet bike! I was trying to remember, I had one of those and loved it, I think it was only 25.00 or so.

I would probably still have it if I hadn't lost it.....(another reason not to spend to much.).

Offline slowfatguy

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2009, 10:29:59 PM »
I've had my GPS for a couple of years. It has survived a couple of good crashes, but it is something I need to remember to look for. A buddy lost an almost new one in a crash at Carter, went in the water never to be found. :o
Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Offline Gregg

• Forum Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2009, 10:36:11 PM »
I've had my GPS for a couple of years. It has survived a couple of good crashes, but it is something I need to remember to look for. A buddy lost an almost new one in a crash at Carter, went in the water never to be found. :o

Exactly!

I just remembered the name of the Planet bike thingy, it was a Protege 9....they probably have more updated ones now.

Offline ProEdgeBiker .

• SUPPORTING OUR TRAILS By DONATING $30/yr for a SWAMP FAMILY MEMBERSHIP!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • *SPECIALIZED & SCOTT* My SWEATSHOP BOUTIQUES!
    • PROEDGEBIKER.COM
  • Favorite Trail: BOYETTE/P-TRAIL
  • My Bike: 650b SPECIALIZED EPIC & SCOTT FOIL 15
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2009, 11:24:01 PM »
Looking for a computer gizmo to give me some telemetry such as speed, odometer, etc.  I know I want a wireless one, seems like it would make life easier. What are some data points we really need. I don't want to buy one and then later on find out it's lacking.  I found one at AJ's for like $50 that even has Temp.

Can't go wrong with the big S on computers, just turned mine in after 5yrs and got the Comp Wireless, Go to your LBS and get one for $62 out da doe with your SWAMP card:

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCEqSection.jsp?sid=EquipComputers&eid=380

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 06:53:47 AM »
The GPS units are notoriously inaccurate in their mileage measurement. They are cool toys, but you can measure speed, average speed, and distance with most.....I would recommend Cateye as very reliable, but there are other brands that do a good job.

If you are looking to do upgrades on your bike, you probably don't want to spend a bunch on one of these. The basics will work well. When your bike is all blinged out, then it would make more sense.

Just one man's opinion. ;D

if you have a cadence sensor on the Edge 305 your are just as accurate as the other bike computers. It gets the mileage reading from the wheel just like a regular computer, plus you can do much more with it like save work outs to your computer, upload and save routes, map trails, etc. etc. 

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 07:06:43 AM »
GPS units are over budget right now. As gregg stated, I'm saving money for mods like new forks, tires, and other stuff. This stuff aint cheap. The one I'm leaning toward right now is a $50 Plaent bike protege 9.0 wireless. Just want to make sure I don't end up with the one lemon on the market.

Offline Darrinw2001

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 07:18:21 AM »
yeah, I understand that... I got my edge 205 used for a price I would have paid for a regular computer, so that is one reason I got it. But now I am glad I did because I can do much more with it.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 08:28:26 AM »
the Planet 9.0 seems decent... might just get that, and in a few years do the GPS thing.

Offline Skinman

• Cycling Sherpa
  • My Bike: 08 FSR 29er
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 08:32:33 AM »
I have used different Specialized computers over the years and have been happy with every one. I have the red  wireless one you see on the link ProEdge provided. I kept ripping out the wires when I would lay my bike in the back of my truck, so I finally went wireless.
GPS is out of budjet for  me right now as well but have seen the cool stuff they can do, its on my christmas list along with one of PE's cameras!
"Dad, these pedals are terrifying!"

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2009, 09:37:23 AM »
MTBR.COM didn't rate the 9.0 protege' very good.  said it doesn't like getting wet.  Well that's not good. 

Advertisement: