SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 11:55:50 PM] Skinman: My bike didnt make funny noises today. Thats a victory

[Yesterday at 11:56:26 PM] billnye: o/ Funny silences!

[Yesterday at 11:56:31 PM] billnye: \o/

[Yesterday at 11:56:42 PM] billnye: bastard shoutbox ate my arm

[Yesterday at 11:57:32 PM] Skinman: I ride an FSR silence IS golden!!!

[Yesterday at 11:59:37 PM] billnye: my current ride doesn't have any issues, but I rode for years on a set of Profile cranks that creak up a storm

[Today at 12:01:25 AM] Skinman: AJ's found my problem...a Friggin skewer with grit in it

[Today at 12:01:39 AM] Skinman: thing would wake the dead

[Today at 12:01:58 AM] Skinman: I thought it was the bottom braket

[Today at 12:02:40 AM] Skinman: Loudest thing on abike I ever heard. Tonight...not a sound

[Today at 12:03:13 AM] Skinman: just my ribs grinding together trying to keep up with 23 mph Gregg

[Today at 12:30:37 AM] mmountainbiker: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Advanced search  

News:

North Creek Trail at Alafia River State Park is a fun and popular trail.
Ride this intermediate trail and then post your review here!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: what is the better sram or shimano?  (Read 471 times)

Redriderpro

• Amatuer Billy Goat
Re: what is the better sram or shimano?
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »
Old school vintage 8 Speed XTR, shifts quick and  the chainrings, while very expensive, last a long long time. I tried a bike recently with XO.. I like my
old stuff better.

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 05:06:25 PM »
I like the Sram X.0. trigger and rear derailer combo the best, Shimano makes a better front derailer which works just fine with a Sram trigger. XTR cranks are as good as it gets as far as, weight, stiffness and $$$, The XTR chain is just a little slinkyer (is that a word ?) than the Sram chain and I think less likely to break for that reason, they work just fine with the Sram quick link for ez maintanance. The Shimano cassettes seem to be more durable as well (Ask Gregg :))

mmountainbiker

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
  • 2009 trek 8000
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 06:02:12 PM »
I read that scram sued shimano to be able to get a bigger market share (i wonder if it was a antitrust suit) kinda like microsoft was sued to make other vendors programs work with windows and share source code. I wonder because sram and shimano drive train stuff work so well together. You would think that shimano wouldnt want that, or would they?
W.A.F. !   who cares. If she don,t like it she can go live with her mother  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKIIxrUKxBg

bikehard

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 06:26:09 PM »
I personally went with Sram XO all around and have been very happy with it.  Once the settings where set... I have not had to adjust anything sense then.

I have setup several bikes w/ XT and XTR and they are very finicky to get adjusted perfectly.   As far as crisp shifting w/ Shimano it does not seem as crisp or as quick as my XO.  Again, still a very good product but I prefer Sram when it comes to shifting and der's.

Still trying to figure out where Turner and Specialized come close to being comparable.   ???
2008 Turner 5 Spot - 28lbs of Squish!

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 02:32:48 PM »
Here's what Armstrong posted on Twitter a couple of days ago after riding his new Trek in preparation for the Leadville 100: "New mtb is insane. First ride on the new SRAM XX as well. Hands down best shifting I've experienced on a mtb."  I think he may have a financial interest in SRAM though, but not sure.

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
I think he may have a financial interest in SRAM though, but not sure.

You Got IT! but Sworks is racing the XX also.

nick

• Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 08:08:16 AM »
My next road bike will be sram, best bang for the buck. The MTB will remain shimano. I have XT shifters and read derailleur and it shifts just fine. If i had a choice and was building up a new bike then i think i would give sram a go.

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »
MY BIKE ALL CAMPY

about 5yrs ago my pops had a bunch of Campy MTB Components. i put them on ebay and a collector gave me a pretty penny for them.

chisel

• Yellow Jersey
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2009, 04:01:27 PM »
sram. better cable routing.

BillT

• Death Blossom!
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
They both work so it boils down to personal preference...which ergonomics do you prefer, do you prefer the more mechanical feel to the SRAM or the smoother feel of the Shimano, do you like pretty colors or think nothing is better than shades of grey and black, etc, etc, etc.
You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Aramada.

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2009, 04:44:22 PM »
I have had 3 bikes with Shimano lx and xt components and my current bike has Sram X7's. The Shimano's always felt like a struggle to shift, like it took more pressure on the levers to get them to go to the next gear, even right after a tune-up. the X7's seem to take less pressure and go into gear easier... thats the difference that I can tell
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

moleminiman

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 12:05:57 PM »
I prefer Sram over Shimano.  I used to run shimano until I got to the bike shop for my very 1st time and Shimano was way over priced!! 
Sram is Cheaper and I prefer having a gold link to remove the chain for cleaning once and a while.
Forrest
2009 29er D660 18spd Hardtail
2006 29er Redline Monocog Hardtail
2007 26" Specialized Expert Stumpjumper Full Suspension
2006 Specialized Tarmac Comp Road Bike

JasonD

• SWAMPer
  • Amatuer Billy Goat
  • I like to bike!
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 01:37:58 PM »
A couple thoughts...

...regarding Lance's comment... from what I understand of the new XX drivetrain, it is essentially set up like a road bike's drivetrain 2 chainrings, 10 cogs. The idea is that you get less overlap in gear ratios. It would make sense that a roadie would really like this setup. Although my main riding is offroad, I think the weight savings and closer gearing has convinced me to move to XX when it is financially feasible -- that is, when I find a way to justify it to my fiance ;)

...speaking of road gruppos... to comment on SRAM vs. Shimano, I'll throw another comparison for perspective. Dura Ace, Shimano's higest end road kit (specifically shifters, crank, chain, and derailleurs), is a bit heavier than SRAM's highest end kit, SRAM Red. We had a meeting with a SRAM rep here at my shop, and while it was definitely a pep rally for SRAM, one thing that stood out to me is that SRAM's shifter use less than half the moving parts of Shimano's. Arguably, this accounts for less weight, and potentially, less break downs.

...now back to off road... I am definitely SRAM biased (X.0 rear, X.0 shifters, 990 chain, 990 cassette), with the exception of the front Der, where I run XTR. I've played with several bikes here at the shop with different setups, and I've done quite a bit of research, and this is what seemed to be the ideal setup for my style of riding.

But then how does everyone define "crisp shifting?"  ???   In most cases, if you are really comfortable with how your chosen setup works, you know exactly where (in your shifter actuation) your gears will change - With my bike, I know that the gears will switch when I upshift when I release the up shifter after it clicks. When I downshift I push in the paddle, and I can almost sense the cable sliding and then there is a barely perceptible click and then the shift happens. IMNSHO it really boils down to a feel preference... until someone comes up with an armor-plated rear derailleur with a cow catcher, that is...  ::)
Jason Daniels
Salsa El Santo... spicy!

BillT

• Death Blossom!
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 01:49:40 PM »
until someone comes up with an armor-plated rear derailleur with a cow catcher, that is...  ::)

What we really need is a feasible (economical, durable, and not ridiculously heavy) internally geared rear hub so we can kill the rear derailleur altogether.
You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Aramada.

KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Global Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Evil thread hijacker!
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 01:56:08 PM »
What I want to know is why the X9 short cage has a 'composite' cage that is the equivalent of plastic. It is useless. What smo-tard thought that one up??

"Hey Bob! Lets put plastic on a very vital part. Genius! Then lets change the name of it to ‘composite’ and we can charge $75 for it!"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:08:26 PM by KRUNNCHERO »
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 24 queries.