SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 02:40:46 PM] FACTORe: put on a pot of gumbo

[Today at 02:51:51 PM] eclark: nice workstand on tampa craigs list for $60

[Today at 02:53:30 PM] FACTORe:

[Today at 02:56:38 PM] Darrinw2001: now now Fe.. T-bow is not a blowhard like most... 

[Today at 02:58:33 PM] FACTORe: I know

[Today at 02:58:42 PM] FACTORe: he is great

[Today at 02:59:00 PM] FACTORe: I will be glad when he is gone so the Tigers don't hav to face him any more

[Today at 02:59:16 PM] FACTORe: Tebow or Urban Myer have never won at Tiger stadium - let's keep it that way

[Today at 03:01:52 PM] mksandoz: tebow sucks

[Today at 03:02:17 PM] mksandoz: if i could kill 1 person in this world

[Today at 03:02:21 PM] mksandoz: it would be jdk

[Today at 03:02:24 PM] mksandoz: THEN tebow

Advanced search  

News:

Alafia Fat Tire Festival (Nov 6-9, 2009) Event registration for 2009 is open!  Information here.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Clipless question  (Read 608 times)

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Re: Clipless question
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 10:45:01 AM »
They stay clipped when  i want them too, but are also easier to get out off then the others. they can be adjusted, but you do not need to play with them all the time. nice amount of float for my bad knee, but the best thing is what I said 1st. reliable clipping.....
Good info, thanks.  I think I'll see if the local shop here in Sarasota has any and give em a look.  Almost afraid to go into the store though -- they've got a Santa Cruz Heckler sitting there that I've almost bought about 5 times...

mksandoz

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • roadie
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 10:45:22 AM »
dam - i got here too late to say "Cue the Time-loving horde recommending he switch the SPDs for Times"

So I'll say...

CRANKBROS RULE as long as your not a fatazz
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

http://mksandoz.blogspot.com/

BillT

• is straight outta Locash.
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 10:46:31 AM »
Get new cleats if you plan on staying with SPD's, otherwise I would tell you to get a set of Time's.  The only time I ever experienced an inadvertant release from my Time's were with very worn cleats while kicking the rear end of my bike out while in the air.
What do you feel makes the Time's a better setup than SPD's?

Very reliable, work in any conditions, pretty robust, larger release angles, some side to side float that can help the knees, very small chance to coming unclipped when you don't want to.

The downside is that I think the pedals are a little heavier than spd's and the extended release angle requires some getting used to (but this can be altered if you like - standard release angles are 20 and 15 degrees depending on how you put on the cleat, but if you really want a shallower angle, you can grind the cleat down some).

Krunnch - celebrate your promotion at get a set of Time Control Z's and junk the spd's.
Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy, sir.

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 10:49:31 AM »
dam - i got here too late to say "Cue the Time-loving horde recommending he switch the SPDs for Times"

So I'll say...

CRANKBROS RULE as long as your not a fatazz
Lol.  Last I checked, I was 5-10 and 180 lbs.

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 10:52:34 AM »
Very reliable, work in any conditions, pretty robust, larger release angles, some side to side float that can help the knees, very small chance to coming unclipped when you don't want to.

The downside is that I think the pedals are a little heavier than spd's and the extended release angle requires some getting used to (but this can be altered if you like - standard release angles are 20 and 15 degrees depending on how you put on the cleat, but if you really want a shallower angle, you can grind the cleat down some).

Krunnch - celebrate your promotion at get a set of Time Control Z's and junk the spd's.
Great stuff, thanks.

eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 10:58:05 AM »
I ride times, switched after riding spd for years due to the better mud and slop shedding of the times.  Less moving parts over the spd design also.

I may be part of the time horde, but look how MK recommending crank bros qualifies it with a weight limit.  They are great pedals as long as you don't put any stress on them.  Haha.

KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Global Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Evil thread hijacker!
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 10:59:28 AM »
Junking the SPDs seems like a novel idea except one very small 15mm problem..... I already bent two 15mm wrenches trying to get off my pedals.... Short of buying a 2' long pipe wrench...not sure what I am going to do.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 11:06:42 AM »
At the risk of hijacking the thread....MK I am a fata$$. I have torn up two sets of Smarty's. The first AJ's replaced no charge...the second pair only lasted two months and are loose. (I'm going in saturday)
Are tha Candy's stronger? Egg beaters? I was going to see if I could discount under warranty and pay for an upgrade difference.
Thing is, I have bad knees (years of playing catcher and DE) I felt the SPD's were very hard on my knees and the Crank Bros really help my knees due to the extra float.
Thoughts?
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 11:08:24 AM »
Short of buying a 2' long pipe wrench...not sure what I am going to do.

Cutting torch  ;D

KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Global Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Evil thread hijacker!
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
As long as your plastic bike isn't close...wouldn't want to melt it.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

Triple T

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • aka übermensch
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 11:14:32 AM »
LOL.  I'll make sure and keep it away.  From you and Bill.  :-*

BillT

• is straight outta Locash.
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 11:27:57 AM »
As long as your plastic bike isn't close...wouldn't want to melt it.

That's my line...I demand royalties!

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy, sir.

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 11:59:59 AM »
It sounds like the exact same place I had a problem. Only I went down with the ship as Krunch says....I like to stay clipped in. It cost me 2 ribs. I had problems coming unclipped unexpectedly in my shimano's on steep decents so went to the Crank Bros. I get more float which helps my knees and still stay clipped in.......Pedals can get expensive to swap out, but the Crank Bros. work for me.

I would rather go down clipped in rather than unclip at the wrong moment.
Yeah, I would like to think I can strike the right balance for the type of riding I do, but my kneecap probably won't be able to take any/many more direct hits like that without cracking up the middle.  Probably will have to put some extra tension on the left pedal release going forward.  Might even see if I can find a lightweight piece of knee armor for the left knee.

mksandoz

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • roadie
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »
I ride times, switched after riding spd for years due to the better mud and slop shedding of the times.  Less moving parts over the spd design also.

I may be part of the time horde, but look how MK recommending crank bros qualifies it with a weight limit.  They are great pedals as long as you don't put any stress on them.  Haha.

If you think less moving parts is a virtue i think the crankbroz take the cake.

The two most important things are  simplicity and aesthetics. Times are fat and ugly. CBz are svelte and simple. How well they work? Well who cares.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades - Eddy Merckx

http://mksandoz.blogspot.com/

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 12:27:57 PM »
Candy SL's here for the past 6yrs, bought my latest pair 2yrs ago cause i wanted the dark color rather than the blue ones. The guy who bought my blue ones is still using them with the same cleats i gave him.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 24 queries.