SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Today at 02:56:38 PM] Darrinw2001: now now Fe.. T-bow is not a blowhard like most... 

[Today at 02:58:33 PM] FACTORe: I know

[Today at 02:58:42 PM] FACTORe: he is great

[Today at 02:59:00 PM] FACTORe: I will be glad when he is gone so the Tigers don't hav to face him any more

[Today at 02:59:16 PM] FACTORe: Tebow or Urban Myer have never won at Tiger stadium - let's keep it that way

[Today at 03:01:52 PM] mksandoz: tebow sucks

[Today at 03:02:17 PM] mksandoz: if i could kill 1 person in this world

[Today at 03:02:21 PM] mksandoz: it would be jdk

[Today at 03:02:24 PM] mksandoz: THEN tebow

[Today at 03:03:12 PM] Coach: that would be TWO people.

[Today at 03:03:19 PM] mksandoz: 1 = 2

[Today at 03:03:33 PM] Coach: 2 is the new 1

Advanced search  

News:

SWAMP Forums are available to anyone who wants to join in, register now for free by clicking the register link near the top of this page. Registered guests who login have access to additional boards and topics. Please note that all official SWAMP club communications still come from the Yahoo! e-group.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Clipless question  (Read 609 times)

bradluke0

• Huffy Rider
Re: Clipless question
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2009, 12:45:32 PM »
Hi all !   I believe your cleats are worn . Also might want to try the #56 cleats , they unclip from multiple angles but still stay clipped when pulling up . The standard cleats are #51 .

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2009, 01:00:37 PM »
Looking at the reviews on mtbr right now, and definitely a lot of choices out there.  Considering getting the Shimano XTR PD-M970's, which seem to be rock-solid and very highly rated, and let's me avoid any type of learning curve by switching to Crank Bros or Time.
For you Crank Bro's guys -- I'm seeing a lot of reviewers on mtbr whining about lack of durability on the Candy SL's (and some of their other models) ... is this a real issue?  The Egg Beater model seems to get higher ratings in general, although it "seems" to be more of an XC model rather than all-mountain -- not sure if that's really an issue around here or not.

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2009, 01:01:27 PM »
Hi all !   I believe your cleats are worn . Also might want to try the #56 cleats , they unclip from multiple angles but still stay clipped when pulling up . The standard cleats are #51 .
hmmm.. didn't know about the 51/56 thing -- thanks, will check it out.  That may be the thing to do at a minimum to save my knee from further abuse.

KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Global Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Evil thread hijacker!
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »
I have some spare 56 cleats (multi release) I am not using. I can mail them to you if you want. I probably won't be down at Alafia/Boyette this weekend because my left knee still hurts from my wipeout. Yes....I will be considering accident insurance now that I have a better job Gregg. :)
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2009, 02:15:01 PM »
I have some spare 56 cleats (multi release) I am not using. I can mail them to you if you want. I probably won't be down at Alafia/Boyette this weekend because my left knee still hurts from my wipeout. Yes....I will be considering accident insurance now that I have a better job Gregg. :)
Thanks Krunch, but you don't have to do that -- you might need them some time!  Plus, I'm not sure if I'm going to stay with the SPD's (and move up to a better model), or try something different.  Since I can't ride for at least a few days probably, I'll have a fun little research project here.  Thanks for the offer though!

KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Global Moderator
  • Cycling Sherpa
  • Evil thread hijacker!
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »
Just let me know. I use the 51s - case in point why I went down with the ship. I don't even use them, they came with my old DX pedals.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

voodoo29

• Ride Guide
  • Huffy Rider
« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2009, 03:04:20 PM »
It sounds like the exact same place I had a problem. Only I went down with the ship as Krunch says....I like to stay clipped in. It cost me 2 ribs. I had problems coming unclipped unexpectedly in my shimano's on steep decents so went to the Crank Bros. I get more float which helps my knees and still stay clipped in.......Pedals can get expensive to swap out, but the Crank Bros. work for me.

I would rather go down clipped in rather than unclip at the wrong moment.
Yeah, I would like to think I can strike the right balance for the type of riding I do, but my kneecap probably won't be able to take any/many more direct hits like that without cracking up the middle.  Probably will have to put some extra tension on the left pedal release going forward.  Might even see if I can find a lightweight piece of knee armor for the left knee.

Eggbeaters........Never have had premature unclipping, and always ride the ship to the bottom.  Plus I am a certified FAT A$$!  Give them a try...a stiff shoe is a must, and don't buy the cheap ones. 

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #37 on: August 07, 2009, 04:06:23 PM »
Eggbeaters........Never have had premature unclipping, and always ride the ship to the bottom.  Plus I am a certified FAT A$$!  Give them a try...a stiff shoe is a must, and don't buy the cheap ones.
Are you talking about these: http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater_sl.php, or would you suggest the TI variant?

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Crazed Bunny with limited traction on leaves.
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2009, 04:28:39 PM »
Are you talking about these: [url=http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater_sl.php]http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater_sl.php[/url], or would you suggest the TI variant?

Those are what I have, I was very reluctant at first, I had always had Time Atacs and then tried the Look Quartz Carbons. After Destroying the Looks in about 3 months, but not wanting to go back to a heavier pedal. I tried the eggbeaters...My LBS told me that I probably wouldn't like them.

The new ones come with a metal plate that you install under the cleat and they make the pedal feel as if you are on a platform. To my continued surprise and really like them. They are easy to get in an out of, with out being too loose. They are durable, and I have about 3500 miles on them so far. All in all they have really worked out well for me.

The ti ones have a weight limit, but......... ;D
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

Stumpjumper

• Ride Guide
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #39 on: August 07, 2009, 04:34:02 PM »
Are you talking about these: [url=http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater_sl.php]http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater_sl.php[/][/url], or would you suggest the TI variant?

The TI's cost about twice as the Sl's, just for saving 36 grams.
What was I THINKING !!!!!!

Gregg

• Global Moderator
  • Yellow Jersey
  • Crazed Bunny with limited traction on leaves.
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2009, 04:37:57 PM »
Are you talking about these: http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater_sl.php[/][/], or would you suggest the TI variant?

The TI's cost about twice as the Sl's, just for saving 36 grams.

Yeah, but if you have a 50 or 60 dollar cyclocomputer instead of a 600 dollar one...... ;D
"You can blow out a candle, but you can't blow out a fire. Once the flame begins to catch, the wind will blow it higher"

Scott

• SWAMPer
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2009, 05:34:20 PM »
I have the XTR's on the Anthem, they are definatley an upgrade from the 520's. The Shimanos are durable, pretty much indestructable. The fact that you can dial in the tension is a nice feature but I leave mine from the factory loosey goosey, if i pop out I am either peddling like a spaz or have taken a pedal strike.

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »
Are you talking about these: http://www.crankbrothers.com/eggbeater_sl.php, or would you suggest the TI variant?

Ti has a weight limit, so depending on your weight watch out.

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2009, 06:03:12 PM »
Times all the way!!!!  ;D , Egg beaters are for weight weenies that like to go down with the bike....
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #44 on: August 07, 2009, 06:39:59 PM »
Ok, so why would these http://www.crankbrothers.com/mallet1.php not be a good choice for Boyette/Alafia/Carter riding?  This things seem to be highly-rated for all-mountain kind of stuff...any thoughts?
Still have to dig into the Time stuff...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 18 queries.