SWAMP Mountain Bike Community Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Shout Box

[History] [Commands]

[Yesterday at 09:39:54 PM] cgarolr: oh, hey I love it too and don't really know all the history...I'll do whatever it takes

[Yesterday at 09:40:16 PM] cgarolr: I spend 2 hours from 6am to 8am one sunday morning about 1 month ago...

[Yesterday at 09:41:03 PM] cgarolr: put the first stair board back, and tried to fix that 

[Yesterday at 09:41:25 PM] cgarolr: hard left drop into the gully with the sharp left climb...

[Yesterday at 09:41:39 PM] cgarolr: fixes lasted about 2 weeks and now crap

[Yesterday at 09:42:07 PM] cgarolr: "sharp left climb" = sharp RIGHT climb

[Yesterday at 09:42:27 PM] KRUNNCHERO: Yah I mean nothing towards you, but I need to advocate that we need to take other steps before closures.

[Yesterday at 09:43:00 PM] catman: K saw that sharp left hole very close today, from the groud level

[Yesterday at 09:43:44 PM] KRUNNCHERO: It is definitely dangerous - look at me, but it is fixable with a really good efficent group.

[Yesterday at 09:43:49 PM] catman: I'd rather ride it on my big bike, otb was looming over my head today on XC

[Yesterday at 09:50:53 PM] cgarolr: i don't pretend to understand the politics of the park

[Yesterday at 09:52:34 PM] KRUNNCHERO: They are messy - I don't touch park politics either.

Advanced search  

News:

Croom 35 / 50 event was Fun! (Feb 14, 2009)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Clipless question  (Read 689 times)

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
Clipless question
« on: August 07, 2009, 09:45:51 AM »
So for the 2nd time in a year, I smashed my left knee cap into the handlebar.  In the exact same spot.  Had to do the one-legged pedal out of Boyette last night as a result.  Was heading up a climb about 2/3 of the way through South Abyss, and hit one of the rooted sections that were slicked up from the rain a bit, and the back tire spun as I was out of the saddle and pulling on the up-stroke.  Foot came un-clipped and the knee just rocketed into the handlebar.  I thought I was going to pass out.  Can hardly walk today.
Ever happen to you?  How best to prevent this?  Increase the clip-out tension on the SPD's?  Wear some knee armor?  Both?  Some other technique?

BillT

• Death Blossom!
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
Re: Clipless question
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »
What pedals?
You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Aramada.

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 10:04:33 AM »
What pedals?
Shimano SPD's -- PD-M520's.

ProEdgeBiker

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • You Know It!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:11:55 AM »
Sounds like tension problems

eclark

• Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:14:46 AM »
I get that issue when my cleats are dying, are yours fresh?  If you find yourself popping out alot, they are probably the culprit.  Crank the tension down or replace the cleats. 

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 10:17:21 AM »
Sounds like tension problems
Very well could be -- I don't have the tension very high on them -- they aren't on the loosest setting, but probably only a few notches away from that.  Probably time for me to increase it a bit.

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 10:18:15 AM »
I get that issue when my cleats are dying, are yours fresh?  If you find yourself popping out alot, they are probably the culprit.  Crank the tension down or replace the cleats.
Very good point.  The pedals are only about 6 months old, but the cleats are very old.  In fact, so old that I can't remember how old they are...

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »
Actually, another question comes to mind here now that I'm talking about clips/pedals etc -- It's probably about time I picked up a new pair of shoes as well, and I'm wondering if it isn't time to re-evaluate the entire system I'm using.  Anybody have an opinion about whether SPD's are the best system for what we ride around here, and suggest an alternative combination?  Anything out there that's a better way to go?  The main thing I look for is low-maintenance, and reliability.  I don't like to "tinker" with stuff all the time in order for it to work properly.

KRUNNCHERO

• Frankenbike builder!
  • Global Moderator
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Evil thread hijacker!
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 10:28:36 AM »
IME I love SPDs. I love not being able to get out of my pedal mid-air/climbing. That being said, I have the tension at the highest and it means I go down with the ship.
We continuously seek feedback from you as to how we can improve our policies and procedures since our primary goal is to act in partnership with you. If you have any questions or need to report any problems on the SWAMP forum, please send me a PM and I will get back with you ASAP.

BillT

• Death Blossom!
  • SWAMPer
  • Yellow Jersey
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »
Get new cleats if you plan on staying with SPD's, otherwise I would tell you to get a set of Time's.  The only time I ever experienced an inadvertant release from my Time's were with very worn cleats while kicking the rear end of my bike out while in the air.
You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Aramada.

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 10:31:44 AM »
Get new cleats if you plan on staying with SPD's, otherwise I would tell you to get a set of Time's.  The only time I ever experienced an inadvertant release from my Time's were with very worn cleats while kicking the rear end of my bike out while in the air.
What do you feel makes the Time's a better setup than SPD's?

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 10:32:17 AM »
I love the Times... used spd's, crank bros and speed play frogs, times are the best for what I ride...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 10:34:51 AM by Darrinw2001 »
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

Darrinw2001

• SWAMPer
  • Ninja Master Cyclist
  • Current Ride: 07' Cannondale Caffeine 29er
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »
What do you feel makes the Time's a better setup than SPD's?

They stay clipped when  i want them too, but are also easier to get out off then the others. they can be adjusted, but you do not need to play with them all the time. nice amount of float for my bad knee, but the best thing is what I said 1st. reliable clipping.....
If your not bleeding, your not having fun!

StonePony

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 10:36:25 AM »
IME I love SPDs. I love not being able to get out of my pedal mid-air/climbing. That being said, I have the tension at the highest and it means I go down with the ship.
Lol...yeah, that is the trade-off isn't it.  I'm kind of in the middle - I like em to stick well, but I also like to be able to get out fast as I do a lot of slow-speed climbing stuff just to give myself the extra cardio and skills work.

Skinman

• SWAMPer
  • Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 10:37:09 AM »
It sounds like the exact same place I had a problem. Only I went down with the ship as Krunch says....I like to stay clipped in. It cost me 2 ribs. I had problems coming unclipped unexpectedly in my shimano's on steep decents so went to the Crank Bros. I get more float which helps my knees and still stay clipped in.......Pedals can get expensive to swap out, but the Crank Bros. work for me.

I would rather go down clipped in rather than unclip at the wrong moment.
Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
« previous next »

Page created in 0.278 seconds with 25 queries.