Author Topic: Worked on Bike Today, have Q's & Need some Help  (Read 2205 times)

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
Re: Worked on Bike Today, have Q's & Need some Help
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 10:18:11 PM »
have you tryed YouTube?

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 10:26:10 PM »
no.  but i adjusted the wife's Rincon with no issues. That's what was driving me nuts. So in the end it was a stripped out H set screw!!!  DAM IT!!!

As for the wheel bearing... like I said. Dealing with that tomorrow. Do you guys replace the wheel seals or not??? Are these grease seals something you pick up locally? are they generic?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:34:22 PM by 4x4TampaTaco »

Offline MM

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Boyette rocks
    • You Tube
  • My Bike: 2009 Trek 8000 XTR drivetrain, XT cranks, Reba SL, Juicy five's
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 10:34:03 PM »
no.  but i adjusted the wife's Rincon with no issues. That's what was driving me nuts. So in the end it was a stripped out H set screw!!!  DAM IT!!!
  As for the wheel bearing... like I said. Dealing with that tomorrow. Do you guys replace the wheel seals or not???
Well its time to upgrade.   Mr taco ,you seem like the type that deserves a nice bike.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 10:40:49 PM »
  Thanks Mmountainbiker.  It's crossed my mined a lot this afternoon. I'm not even sure this bike warrants upgrades!!! the whole thing needs upgraded.  This is the first bike I've been on since I sold my '98 Powerlite that cost me just under $2k back in those days, and man do i miss that bike now! I want titanium parts again, sealed cartridge bearings everywhere. This bike is begining to agrivate me and I've only had it on the trails a few times. I spent 1hr messing with it,  and the dam screw was stripped out. Talk about wasting my time.. I guess this was my lesson on DR's. I need to pick up some specialized tools too... I don't have the Freewheel removal wrench. Also debating buying a bike work stand. I'm not 17 anymore... crawling around on the garage floor really sucks now.

Ok, wheel bearing seals. Do they get replaced or reused? Are they a generic item?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 10:50:28 PM by 4x4TampaTaco »

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2009, 11:11:49 PM »
... came up with a cheap fix.  Plan on removing the screw tomorrow and drilling, tapping the hole out and putting in a new screw from my buckets of junk. I'm gonna make it work for now...

Offline MM

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Boyette rocks
    • You Tube
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2009, 11:31:44 PM »
You said that your wife has the same bike as you.  :o just switch with her. Are you sure its stripped and that the screw isnt working against the cable?

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2009, 11:36:52 PM »
She acutally doesn't use her front detrailer. She cruises the sub division only.  so looks like that's a better fix. Yes it's stripped out.  I have a sneaky feeling when I got the bike new it was in this shape, b/c I always had issues with the large front gear. Never went back b/c it was way the heck out of my way and time.

Dude, I watched those You tube video on derailers. GREAT!!!!!  They each had something to learn. Now I feel much more edu-ma-cated about these fancy gears. I'm a great tech, just need the proper skewling. I like doing things right. 

Offline catman

• Yellow Jersey
  • My Bike: 2007 Giant Trance 1
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 11:50:39 PM »
Well the H- Set screw is stripped out. If you losen the H set screw it allows the DR to move outward more. So looks like I'm buying a new DR. Fantastic. Well, now I know how a DR works. This is messed up b/c  my wife has the same bike and I've adjusted her DR's before and NEVER had an issue like this. So I'm betting that's why it was driving me nuts. I kept messing with the H screw but never got any adjustment either direction.

As for the bearings I'll mess with that tomorrow. I did these like all the others. As tight as you can physically get them with your hands, then a touch tighter with a wrench, probly 1/16 or 1/8 of a turn. Then put the lock nut on. Done. check for play, there is none. I think it's dust. sounds like debre in there. on both sides. I'll repack them tomorrow with the garage door closed.  What about those seals that pop in/out, are you supposed to replace them every time? Also debating replacing the inner cups. Is there a magic bike grease to use? or is the syn valvoline fine?

Don't stress about loose wheel bearing set ups. My multi=million dollar Shimano XTR's have loose bearings in them. I just use water proof marine grease in low end hubs and just bought some Park tool grease to do my XTR's since the rear is growling. I've seen wheels that spin pretty rough and upon taking them apart they are super nasty inside. Clean them up and put all the original parts back in and they run like a champ for a long time. You're mainly looking for pitting or flat spots but I think I'm just telling you what you already know. Just remember that we're not working on rocket ships here ;)

Congrats on being able to build diffs like a champ. I used to build them just enough to not get any good at them.
Part time mountain biker, full time roadie smiter.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2009, 11:55:59 PM »
so it's ok to reinstall the grease seals? You have two seals. the one that gets pressed into the hub, and another that just is press fit over the cone/nut. I'm worried about the inner one that's pressed into the hub.

My first experience with a differential was similar to this MTB schite. I put a set of 5:29 Yukons in a V6 Toyota diff with a Detroit Locker. So I bought all the seals, bearings, etc in a "kit". Turns out the Gomer Piles were putting 4cyl pinion bearings in V6 Kits! Didn't turn out good... kept doubting myself and all. Nope, shrink wraped kit had the wrong bearing. V6 pinion bearings are about 1/8" taller. I was so nervous and worried about the backlash, and carrier preload and all this.. forgot to check the parts I had.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 11:59:19 PM by 4x4TampaTaco »

Online ProEdgeBiker.com

• *SPECIALIZED* My Sweatshop Boutique!
  • SWAMP Club Member
  • Yellow Jersey
  • You Know It!
    • ProEdgeBiker.com
  • My Bike: Custom 09' Specialized Epic w/ Sweet SLR's
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 12:30:36 AM »
She acutally doesn't use her front detrailer. She cruises the sub division only.  so looks like that's a better fix. Yes it's stripped out.  I have a sneaky feeling when I got the bike new it was in this shape, b/c I always had issues with the large front gear. Never went back b/c it was way the heck out of my way and time.

Dude, I watched those You tube video on derailers. GREAT!!!!!  They each had something to learn. Now I feel much more edu-ma-cated about these fancy gears. I'm a great tech, just need the proper skewling. I like doing things right. 

SWEET! you can learn alot from youtube!, i'm going to make a video on how to shorten pre-bled shimano Hydro lines when i do my boys bike next week.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 05:28:28 PM »
Ok guys.  I got the front wheel bearings fixed. Turned out they just needed a slight tightening up. I also adjusted the rear derailer. That was easy. It was a touch off, nothing crazy. I've got it dialed into perfection.  Just not 100% sure about the tension on the chain slack. Shimano's tech sheet says to tighten it up to the 1st gear as much as possible w/out them touching. I have to be pretty close I think. I tapped the Hole in the H front derailer. I did some adjusting and it's not perfect. That's the only thing I need help with; the front derailer!!! I've got it usable now, but it needs looked at. I can't seem to figure the dang thing out. Making begin to wonder if the crank set is put together correctly.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:37:00 PM by 4x4TampaTaco »

Offline ClintonRH

• SWAMP Club Member
  • Cycling Sherpa
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 08:00:33 PM »
Front derailleurs are mysterious beasts some times. Sounds like it doesn't have enough reach for the bike it's on which shouldn't happen if you're using the derailleur that was intended to be there. The only other thing that could cause those kinds of issues would be a bottom bracket spindle that is too long which I really doubt. I'm pretty confident that you must be missing some detail of the installation/tuning that is screwing you up and will probably seem pretty obvious once you see it shown to you.

Offline 4x4TampaTaco

• Clipless Mountain Goat
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2009, 08:22:50 PM »
So what's the best way to get this corrected??? Is there somone in the club that wants to give me a hand with it some time? Preferably before next sunday's ride. I'm sure I can scrounge up some beer.

Offline MM

• Cycling Sherpa
  • Boyette rocks
    • You Tube
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2009, 08:28:45 PM »
did you shift to bottom ring, disconnect cable then adjust screw to bring cage ?as close to small ring w/o touching then reconnect to take out all slack or you could go to your nearest bike shop then tell them all you have is just $10 bucks and could they adjust BOTH deraileurs or take it where you bought it and tell them they owe your firrst free tune up
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 08:32:17 PM by mmountainbiker »

Offline luckynumber9

• Amateur Billy Goat
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »
i'd fix it for ya but seeing as im in fort myers and you're probably in the tampa area......